Omega prices

Discussion of Omega watches.
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Omega prices

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:00 pm

What the actual.. f

Your average used speedy pro is pushing 4K and a 2254.50 is pushing 3K :o :shock:

Jeez... I even saw a nearly 10 year old 42mm PO (probably with a C movement) selling for nearly 4K

I don’t get it - I assume it’s the unavailability of Rolex sport models driving up the Omega prices, but people have lost their minds..
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Re: Omega prices

Post by Terpits » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:22 pm

It is crazy.
Even speedo reduced is up there now.
Nobody wanted that a while back.
:rimshot:

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:30 pm

Getting harder and harder to get in good condition.

People prefer the older models - from size and design perspectives - vs the new modern “complicated” versions.

The vintage pieces go with the rising tide of the newer versions.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:15 pm

I just sold my well worn Speedy Pro for the same price I payed for it new 4 years ago.

I would agree that Rolex availability has something to do with it.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Look at the stock market, housing prices, and what $30,000 buys you in a modern car. Credit is dirt cheap and everything is inflated.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:19 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:27 pm
Look at the stock market, housing prices, and what $30,000 buys you in a modern car. Credit is dirt cheap and everything is inflated.
Excellent point
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Omega prices

Post by SoCal C4S » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:30 pm

Fairly certain that I could get $4k+ for my 2200.50 PO XL right now. The market is very hot on more than a few pieces.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:12 pm

tmw wrote:Getting harder and harder to get in good condition.

People prefer the older models - from size and design perspectives - vs the new modern “complicated” versions.

The vintage pieces go with the rising tide of the newer versions.
Yep exactly.

Plus, the other brands have taken notice of how some brands have kept brand value high, which in turn helps them move high margin, high price precious metal watches - they want in on the action. Anyone trying to buy a VC Overseas lately can see the writing on the wall.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:55 am

On the flip side, at least when compared to Rolex, new Omegas are readily available, and at decent a discount. And even the price increase on older model Seamasters and Speedmasters doesn't bring them close to what basic Rolex sports models are commanding these days. But it is pretty crazy when compared to what they were selling for just a short time ago or to their original MSRP.

Zidane
Stevie's Nick

Post by Zidane » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:47 am

Some great points in here. I agree though - totally insane.

I’m glad I have what’s in my collection now, but I’m so hesitant to sell anything because I know it’ll cost me waaay more to pick it up down the road if I have sellers remorse, which I generally do.

Zidane
Stevie's Nick

Omega prices

Post by Zidane » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:59 am

FWIW, I really wanted to add a 45.5mm 2500 PO to my collection. Searched for six months to find one with a full kit that wasn’t beat to hell. Had to pay $3500 for it. That watch would have been $2500 or so a year ago.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:58 am

Well, I do miss my Speedy that I sold last year :(

But I'm pretty happy with the collection right now. Seeing the current market, best to do is hang tight. I've never bought a watch on credit, but I'm sure that there might be 0% offers around... that could be something to check out (for a Seamaster or a new Speedy :grin: ).

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:19 am

Seems like the Speedmaster Pro in particular is really jumping, due to the "new" version coming out and discontinuation of the last iteration (1861 movement etc.)

The general riff raff of watch collectors/flippers have all picked up on the commodification of watches, so now anything that gets a whiff of becoming "hard to get" or no longer available sees everyone pushing that narrative - along with the price being asked.

This thread made me curious so I went back and checked what I paid for my Speedy back in 2015 - I won an ebay auction for US$2000. Seems like a steal now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Send lawyers, guns and money...

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:21 am

I have a gen 1 x-33, was looking at maybe adding the bracelet for it. Those watches are listed at $2500-$3500 now. That’s just absolutely crazy.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:21 am

Zidane wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:59 am
FWIW, I really wanted to add a 45.5mm 2500 PO to my collection. Searched for six months to find one with a full kit that wasn’t beat to hell. Had to pay $3500 for it. That watch would have been $2500 or so a year ago.

With the 2500D! :thumbsup:
Send lawyers, guns and money...

Zidane
Stevie's Nick

Post by Zidane » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:32 am

hidden by leaves wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:21 am
Zidane wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:59 am

With the 2500D! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that didn't hurt! It was basically a time capsule watch...dude never wore it. Came with the black bezel but I managed to score an orange bezel, so I'm set now. :fro:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:42 am

Erratic101 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:21 am
I have a gen 1 x-33, was looking at maybe adding the bracelet for it. Those watches are listed at $2500-$3500 now. That’s just absolutely crazy.
DAMN!!!!

You could get a whole PO 2500 or Speedy for that! Have you tried directly with Omega?

Enjoy it in a rubber or canvas strap. Or try an aftermarket bracelet... that is just ridiculous.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 am

I still find Omegas to be decent value as compared to Rolex. Outside of the limited edition Snoopy, Ultraman etc... Discounts can still be had....As it was said earlier everything is more expensive..I am certainly glad I picked up my Speedy Pro when I did...

Mike

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:02 am

I guess this is good news for me. I have a ton of Omegas I was procrastinating on selling that have appreciated in the watch box!

TBH, Omega still is a better watch to wear than Rolex for me. The adjustable clasp, movement performance, finishing, and (subjective) styling all lean in Omegas favor for me. That’s the reason I have so many. I’m sad that the days of Omega steals seem to be coming to an end.
:htfu:

Zidane
Stevie's Nick

Post by Zidane » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:08 am

^ Agreed on that last point. The value for the money was hard to beat while it lasted...still an incredible value compared to Rolex though.

matool
Name: matt ede

Post by matool » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:11 pm

I live in Australia and am new to watch forums and didn't know what else to do.I was given an old Seamaster 600 Ploprof about a year ago that needed some major work done to it, which was done by Omega Switzerland. It has a complete new movement, bezel, dial, hands, isofrane strap etc. I'm looking to sell it but don't know the best way to go about it or what it's worth. Can anyone give me some guidance.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:21 am

As the kids say… “kinda sus”
:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Omega prices

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:05 am

matt.wu wrote:ImageImage

As the kids say… “kinda sus”
Well, I am a Nigerian prince and I need to move some money out of my country before I flee to Europe. Maybe we can work together so I can wire you the funds and you can send the watch to my associate in the United States. I would not like to insult you on price so would the sum of fifteen thousand ($15,000) U.S. dollars be sufficient? If so please provide you banking information.

matool
Name: matt ede

Post by matool » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:17 pm

If I wanted to hear shit, I could've farted. Didn't realise I'd be talking to such assholes. I asked a simple question about my watch and I get dingbats that are fed up with facebook or youtube and have moved their inane comments over to a watch forum.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Omega prices

Post by BacoNoir » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:05 pm

matool wrote:I live in Australia and am new to watch forums and didn't know what else to do.I was given an old Seamaster 600 Ploprof about a year ago that needed some major work done to it, which was done by Omega Switzerland. It has a complete new movement, bezel, dial, hands, isofrane strap etc. I'm looking to sell it but don't know the best way to go about it or what it's worth. Can anyone give me some guidance.
Look man, the reason they are blow smoke is new guys always join to ask this specific type of question or about the value or similar - then they take the info and just leave. Long time members are tired of it.

Bottom line, without an online presence on watch forums where you have built a reputation as a trustworthy seller, you have eBay as your primary option. Second option - you can wholesale it to someone like DavidSW (google him) or try to sign up on a huge watch forum like Watchuseek and see if you can find a buyer who will buy from someone with no sales references.
Last edited by BacoNoir on Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006