Interview with Erika from Erika's Originals

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Interview with Erika from Erika's Originals

Post by logan2z » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 am

This might be of interest to the fans of her straps here...

https://monochrome-watches.com/erika-fr ... interview/

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Re: Interview with Erika from Erika's Originals

Post by JDC222 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:07 am

:thumbsup:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:58 am

I ordered the knock off version on Amazon. Material and color are nice but clasp finishing is shite. The clasp pieces look used, however the fabric looks brand new so pretty sure its just shoddy finishing. Good enough for twenty bucks considering it will look like that in a week anyway, but Erika's clasps are definitely nicer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Hapa

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:10 am

I got to speak with her at the Windup Show; nice to meet her in person.

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:14 am

I have 2 of the older versions and I'll definitely buy the new version. The knockoffs will never be custom sized and will never be as nice.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am

I love the look of these, but I could never get it to fit right.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:07 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am
I love the look of these, but I could never get it to fit right.
me either. :crybaby: looks likes she is doing some good stuff though. :salute:

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 pm

I have one coming, Erika pulled out some old stock of the Swick MN thread for me...sweet!!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:46 pm

JDC222 wrote:I have one coming, Erika pulled out some old stock of the Swick MN thread for me...sweet!!
I hope you have better luck than I did.
David St. Hubbins

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Did you not get the length right, Chris?

They adjust as needed as long as not too short/long.
55682303-ADB5-4023-B4E1-85E4719C3A3D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:41 pm

demer03 wrote:Did you not get the length right, Chris?

They adjust as needed as long as not too short/long.
My hand is relatively large compared to my wrist. I could never find the sweet spot where I could slide it over my hand without it being too loose on the wrist. I may be a spaz, but I was never able to connect the clasp while it was on the wrist already.
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:49 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:41 pm
I was never able to connect the clasp while it was on the wrist already.
same, it felt like to much effort imo :shrug:

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:37 pm

I just don’t get those. They are a pain.
I like the looks when people post them but don’t like the setup, the giant cumbersome clasp and feels like wearing suspenders. They do look good but I prefer a traditional strap personally.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm

I like them and find them quite comfortable. I typically don’t unhook the clasp, I slip it over my hand and adjust it on my wrist.

I have this one already...

Winston Churchill.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:05 pm

JDC222 wrote:I like them and find them quite comfortable. I typically don’t unhook the clasp, I slip it over my hand and adjust it on my wrist.
That’s what I tried. I literally couldn’t get my hand through the strap.
David St. Hubbins

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:17 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:05 pm
JDC222 wrote:I like them and find them quite comfortable. I typically don’t unhook the clasp, I slip it over my hand and adjust it on my wrist.
That’s what I tried. I literally couldn’t get my hand through the strap.
Winston Churchill.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:23 pm

LOL pretty much.
David St. Hubbins

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:18 am

I grabbed one of those Amazon knock-offs to try out.

Mine did not have any obvious scuffs or scratches on the clasp or hardware. It actually came in a nice little box with a (cheap) springbar tool and a baggie of extra 22mm springbars. For $20, I'm happy with it.

I put my Certina on it and it wears fine.

I do have an Erika's as well. I haven't done a side by side comparison, but would be happy to if anyone would like to find differences.
Last edited by Ryeguy on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 am

I really like her straps and will stay clear of the knock offs as she is the "original" designer for this type of strap. Takes some getting used to on connecting the clasp, but pretty easy once you get the hang. Just super comfortable straps and I always like when you can communicate directly with the maker.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 am

dnslater wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 am
I really like her straps and will stay clear of the knock offs as she is the "original" designer for this type of strap.
I'm not certain she was the original designer (as I thought these were originally fashioned from cut up parachute bags by soldiers), but she was certainly the first person to popularize and broadly market this style of strap.

My judgement is still out on the quality of the $20 knock-off. If it begins to fray or the hardware rusts, then the $20 was wasted. Then again, paying $100 for what is essentially underwear banding and bra hardware is also a bit of a mental stretch.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 am
dnslater wrote:
I really like her straps and will stay clear of the knock offs as she is the "original" designer for this type of strap.
I'm not certain she was the original designer (as I thought these were originally fashioned from cut up parachute bags by soldiers), but she was certainly the first person to popularize and broadly market this style of strap.

My judgement is still out on the quality of the $20 knock-off. If it begins to fray or the hardware rusts, then the $20 was wasted. Then again, paying $100 for what is essentially underwear banding and bra hardware is also a bit of a mental stretch.
Good to know on the designer. FYI, I bought one a few months back and they were 50 Euro's or about $55 USD including shipping. Has the price gone up? I'm willing to pay that for a decent quality strap made in house.

This is DWC where people happily spend hundreds$$ for straps made out of Canvas, one of the cheapest fabrics available. :grin:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:46 am

Love the look but hard to pay $100 for a nylon with a nice buckle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:22 am

dnslater wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
dnslater wrote:

Good to know on the designer. FYI, I bought one a few months back and they were 50 Euro's or about $55 USD including shipping. Has the price gone up? I'm willing to pay that for a decent quality strap made in house.

This is DWC where people happily spend hundreds$$ for straps made out of Canvas, one of the cheapest fabrics available. :grin:
I like that the strap length is specific to your wrist size. Mine was 59€ shipped. The thread pattern that I wanted was discontinued but Erika was nice enough to custom make it for me.
Winston Churchill.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:36 am

dnslater wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 am
Ryeguy wrote:
dnslater wrote:

Yes, that is the reason they are called "Marine Nationale" (MN on Erika's clasps) straps.

The story is Tudor was supplying watches to the French Navy as "heads only" (no strap), so the soldiers who were issued the watches had to fashion their own straps.

I remember reading a post years ago by a French diver who said a French Navy diver would likely laugh at the idea of someone using these parachute bag straps for wearing the watch on their wrist. The Navy divers actually used the elastic banding so the watch would fit on their diving navigation boards.

This is a more modern version, but something like this:

The idea is a diver navigates by time and direction. You use the compass for direction and the rotating bezel for timing your swim lengths.

Erika's price is now 75 Euro for the basic strap. I paid (I think) about $50 for mine a few years ago.

At $50-ish I was a buyer without hesitation. Now, with Erika's at closer to $90, I was willing to take a risk. Plus, she didn't offer this color pattern any longer so it was either buy an knock off or go without.

I still think Erika's are likely the flat out best quality version of these types of straps available. "Buy once, cry once" is absolutely a fair statement and if I were going to leave the watch on this strap, I probably would've just bought one of Erika's. I just know I'm also about as ADD as they come, so good or bad, this strap will likely be swapped out for something else shortly and join the strap pile.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:40 am

JDC222 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:22 am
I like that the strap length is specific to your wrist size. Mine was 59€ shipped. The thread pattern that I wanted was discontinued but Erika was nice enough to custom make it for me.
You got a good price. Her website has everything at 75 Euro now (plus extra if you'd like some customization).