ISOfrane Spring Bar Question

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
Torrid
Name: Heath

ISOfrane Spring Bar Question

Post by Torrid » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:29 pm

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions here. Terry, I think you carry the same bars these days and you might have a good answer. I’ve been using the twente(o) slim fat bars with any ISOfranes I’ve used. I’ve had a few sets of them I bought years ago so I had plenty if this did ever happen and just had to swap a set after I popped a spring bar out a few nights ago. I don’t know if the bar pulled out by force or if the strap grabbed and compressed the bar enough to release it, but it didn’t appear to be damaged. I don’t know if the bar was compromised, but I was able to put it back on the watch and I wore the watch with the same spring bar until I could get home and then I replaced both bars to be safe. I don’t know if I actually hit the watch or strap on something. It was a pretty adrenaline pumping event where I was thrown from a rail car after I lost my grip and was thrown to the ground. My watch came off when I hit the ground so I assume it was the sudden stop that popped the bar. My lower back broke my fall. :lol: Should I be using something else for spring bars or is this still my best choice?

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: ISOfrane Spring Bar Question

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:07 pm

The slim-fats are your best option. I’ve been using them for years without issue. I’d clean out the strap holes to make sure nothing has dried up in there and is sticking to the spring bar.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:05 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:07 pm
The slim-fats are your best option. I’ve been using them for years without issue. I’d clean out the strap holes to make sure nothing has dried up in there and is sticking to the spring bar.
Good idea. I’ll stick with the slim fats then. I took everything apart and cleaned it out, then installed the new slim fats. The watch bounced in the mud and then landed dead center on top of the rail. If I had to back up and didn’t notice my watch gone I’d be NAFTless right now. Two of the vent holes were caked with mud. Still keeping great time and the strap is still excellent so other than the bar popping out everything is great. For all I know the pin popping loose might have saved me from breaking something or tearing the strap.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:03 pm

Wrong spring bar to use for a watch with drilled lugs. The best bet for the SRP's is this one https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 7982125142 for the using an Iso. This shit will not release.

I hope your back is okay also.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:08 pm

toxicavenger wrote:Wrong spring bar to use for a watch with drilled lugs. The best bet for the SRP's is this one https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 7982125142 for the using an Iso. This shit will not release.

Yes. Also, up to a 2.0mm diameter bar will easily fit the Isofrane. 1.78 diameter works too, but the 2.0 diameter leaves no play. Good stuff in T’s link.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:17 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:03 pm
Wrong spring bar to use for a watch with drilled lugs. The best bet for the SRP's is this one https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 7982125142 for the using an Iso. This shit will not release.

I’m still feeling it a bit, but getting better. I do have one set of these sitting around that I use for NATOs. I’ll give them a try and order some more if I like how it fits. I think Hoppy originally got them and they stuck with the watch when I bought it eventually. I think I tried them and thought it was a bit snug, but I know that it won’t have anything to grip to compress the bar which is a huge plus.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:38 pm

Yep, tried those. Worked perfectly. I’ll order some more. Thanks!

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:20 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:08 pm
toxicavenger wrote:Wrong spring bar to use for a watch with drilled lugs. The best bet for the SRP's is this one https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 7982125142 for the using an Iso. This shit will not release.

Yes. Also, up to a 2.0mm diameter bar will easily fit the Isofrane. 1.78 diameter works too, but the 2.0 diameter leaves no play. Good stuff in T’s link.
I’ve used a couple wraps of scotch tape around 1.78mm bars to get a perfect fit (when the 2.0 won’t work). That 2.8mm extension is serious!
The Hapa

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:59 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:20 pm
hoppyjr wrote:

I’ve used a couple wraps of scotch tape around 1.78mm bars to get a perfect fit (when the 2.0 won’t work). That 2.8mm extension is serious!
No kidding. I can plainly see the end of the bar through the lug hole. Surprised I haven’t tried these bars with anything else than NATOs. Glad I ordered some extras now because other than using the OEM style bars for the bracelet I’ll only use these for now on. Oh well it made a good excuse to do some more shopping for watch stuff. The site didn’t remind me that I had points for a discount when I ordered the bars so I went back an ordered a strap too. I couldn’t resist when I saw the charcoal 22mm NATO was back. I only have that color in 20mm and it’s always been my favorite for the regular non shiznit models.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:25 pm

For what it’s worth, I generally remove and replace the seams to the spring bars 2-4 times, then I use new bars. Even with high-quality factory ones I don’t think those tiny little springs are designed to be compressed and removed multiple times and maintain their strength. I know with the ones that Terry and I used to get from the seller in Australia, the springs were great when new but after a few use cycles (on-off-on-off) The same springs would get weak.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:46 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:25 pm
For what it’s worth, I generally remove and replace the seams to the spring bars 2-4 times, then I use new bars. Even with high-quality factory ones I don’t think those tiny little springs are designed to be compressed and removed multiple times and maintain their strength. I know with the ones that Terry and I used to get from the seller in Australia, the springs were great when new but after a few use cycles (on-off-on-off) The same springs would get weak.
Yep, I do swap them after a couple of uses typically. I wasn’t sure what this current flangeless set was until he posted them. I’ll swap in the new ones when they arrive. The regular slim fats seem to bend kind of easy and I think that’s why that happened.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:55 pm

So which 20mm would you need for Willard to have 0 movement and avoid Seiko dreaded click

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:13 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:55 pm
So which 20mm would you need for Willard to have 0 movement and avoid Seiko dreaded click
https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 0892790896 if you want more strap clearance. if you want factory style uses these https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 0812476528
Last edited by toxicavenger on Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:14 pm

Torrid wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:59 am
HapaHapa wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:20 pm
hoppyjr wrote:

No kidding. I can plainly see the end of the bar through the lug hole. Surprised I haven’t tried these bars with anything else than NATOs. Glad I ordered some extras now because other than using the OEM style bars for the bracelet I’ll only use these for now on. Oh well it made a good excuse to do some more shopping for watch stuff. The site didn’t remind me that I had points for a discount when I ordered the bars so I went back an ordered a strap too. I couldn’t resist when I saw the charcoal 22mm NATO was back. I only have that color in 20mm and it’s always been my favorite for the regular non shiznit models.
let me know how they work out bro :thumbsup:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:51 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:13 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 0892790896 if you want more strap clearance. if you want factory style uses these https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 0812476528
Thanks Terry
Both links go to springs page with all of them.
Can you please PM the exact springs I need to get. Thanks

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:38 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:51 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:13 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
Thanks Terry
Both links go to springs page with all of them.
Can you please PM the exact springs I need to get. Thanks
If you click on the links it shows the exact one I picked in the drop down. :thumbsup:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 am

This reminds me of when I used to wear an Isofrane on my tuna. I remember driving in traffic and punch my steering wheel and watching it flop off my wrist and hit me in the balls.

Was the last time I wore stock Seiko bars in an iso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak: