Artem Sailcloth Strap Review

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
Sambation
Name: Amir

Post by Sambation » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:05 am

Sailcloth straps IMO are the perfect blend of "sporty" and "dressy". These are identified mainly with the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, I feel that they are quite distinctive in the "watch scenery" and that you do not see many of them, generally. They also have a distinctive look, so when you see one you can tell that it's a sailcloth strap.

Many strap manufactures tried to find the formula of creating sailcloth straps of Blancpain quality, but if you look at "forum" opinions online, it's hard to find a manufcaturer that really excels at this specific type of strap.

Enter Artem. Based in Australia, this company has garnered very positive reputation to itself since its founding two years ago. They only create one strap - the Sailcloth strap. Some claim that these do not fall short from the Blancpain ones, some even go further and say that they're better. I can't say really because I never handle a Blancpain sailcloth strap, but I can say for sure that this strap is of top quality.

The lining is made of the most comfortable rubber my skin has ever felt, probably. It's apparent that they gave a lot attention to stitching and overall build quality. The buckle is signed with the Artem logo, partly brushed and partly polished. When I first received the strap, it was quite stiff - not as bad as others - but it did not "need no break-in time" as Artem proudly claims. But! In a few hours, the strap indeed took the shape of my wrist, and after a night on a watch pillow - it was like magic on my wrist. Supple, pliable. It felt as if the strap was created specifically for my wrist.

And man, is it comfortable! Which I think is the most important factor here.

It's a bit pricey, at $85 with regular spring bars and $98 for quick release or "fat springbars" configuration. But believe you me, it's worth every cent.

Just to make sure, I bought this with my own money. Saying this because I joined the forum yesterday and already making posts praising all kinds of products. So yeah, no freebies here (unfortunately :lol: ) - just sharing my enthusiasm for this one!

Thanks for reading, let me know if you have any questions.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Artem Sailcloth Strap Review

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:13 pm

looks like embossed nylon instead of sailcloth. which is common, and a better material imo. very few use real sailcloth. it sucks as a material on watch straps.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:26 pm

I had a Breitling sailcloth and the rubber on the back was soft yet grippy - no hair pulling. I really miss that strap so I ordered one of these to give it a shot - thanks for the lead.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:32 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:13 pm
looks like embossed nylon instead of sailcloth. which is common, and a better material imo. very few use real sailcloth. it sucks as a material on watch straps.
From their FAQ:

"... our straps are not made using “genuine” sailcloth. The decision to not use sailcloth was made after extensive R&D, which revealed that it lacks the fine, premium texture we were looking for in order to achieve optimal performance and comfort."

It doesn't say exactly what their straps are made of but at least they're up front about the fact that they aren't made from actual sailcloth.

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:04 pm

I own a couple of them. Nice quality. Also nice they come in 21mm (like it a lot on my JLC DSC).

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:29 pm

That looks great with the Certina!

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:57 am

logan2z wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:32 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
From their FAQ:

"... our straps are not made using “genuine” sailcloth. The decision to not use sailcloth was made after extensive R&D, which revealed that it lacks the fine, premium texture we were looking for in order to achieve optimal performance and comfort."

It doesn't say exactly what their straps are made of but at least they're up front about the fact that they aren't made from actual sailcloth.
Upfront would be not calling them "sailcloth". :mrgreen:

Honestly, I like the non-sailcloth straps better.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:33 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:57 am
logan2z wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:32 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
From their FAQ:

Upfront would be not calling them "sailcloth". :mrgreen:
True ;)

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:46 am

It is a very nice looking strap
The Hapa

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:45 pm

Bought one, and have the same Certina as well.

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:56 pm

It is a nice looking strap. I ordered one and it should arrive in a week.
Stephen

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:03 am

Mr sailcloth sold the same type of material I think. Then people realized it was vinyl heat stamped to look like fabric.
Maratac makes the same material for <$20 called Composite or something like that.
Breitling strap is actually nylon fabric and Blancpain is actually fabric called Sailcloth.
This is not it, although looks pretty good at first glance, it’s probably $3-4 on Alibaba from the actual manufacturer.
In fact it looks like BPFF knock off strap which was probably developed to be sold with Chinese Blancpain Fifty Fathoms replicas.

Sambation

Post by Sambation » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:03 am
Mr sailcloth sold the same type of material I think. Then people realized it was vinyl heat stamped to look like fabric.
Maratac makes the same material for <$20 called Composite or something like that.
Breitling strap is actually nylon fabric and Blancpain is actually fabric called Sailcloth.
This is not it, although looks pretty good at first glance, it’s probably $3-4 on Alibaba from the actual manufacturer.
In fact it looks like BPFF knock off strap which was probably developed to be sold with Chinese Blancpain Fifty Fathoms replicas.
Huh. Interesting.

Sambation

Post by Sambation » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:58 pm

flyskate wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:56 pm
That's great, hope you'll like it - let us know what you think of it!

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:56 pm

Sambation wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:58 pm
flyskate wrote:
Who’s “us”?

Sambation

Post by Sambation » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:56 pm
Sambation wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:58 pm
flyskate wrote:
Who’s “us”?
Us - the members of this forum.

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:51 pm

Here is the Artem Sailcloth strap on my speedmaster, I think it looks really good!
Stephen

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:28 am

Very nice match
The Hapa

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:47 pm

I bought one and the finish it’s really nice, but I bought the larger size and it’s too long for me.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:00 am

I picked on up as well for the aero. After the initial break in period, it is a comfortable strap.

OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Post by OrangeSport » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:08 am

They look good, but why call them sailcloth if

I. They aren’t
II. Sailcloth is a great material to use anyway

Come buy my newly designed wooden tyres for your car

(For clarification they aren’t really wood, coz that would suck)

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:55 am

Well, because the watch industry is so full of lies today that coming down on improperly described “sailcloth” straps is hardly worth the bother.

Actual sail material is strong, thin, tightly woven nylon with some rigidity to it. There are a lot of local crafters around me that make tote bags out of old sails. My wife has a couple and I’m not sure I’d want a watch strap made from it. As a matter of fact, looking at actual sail cloth bags, you don’t see the weave pattern on the material as clearly as you see it on these watch straps.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:28 am

Ryeguy wrote:Well, because the watch industry is so full of lies today that coming down on improperly described “sailcloth” straps is hardly worth the bother.

Actual sail material is strong, thin, tightly woven nylon with some rigidity to it. There are a lot of local crafters around me that make tote bags out of old sails. My wife has a couple and I’m not sure I’d want a watch strap made from it. As a matter of fact, looking at actual sail cloth bags, you don’t see the weave pattern on the material as clearly as you see it on these watch straps.
My surf (fishing) bags are made from true sailcloth. Absolutely no way I’d want a watch strap made out of that stuff. Great for preventing a hook going through or snagging, however.
- Todd

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:57 pm

OrangeSport wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:08 am
They look good, but why call them sailcloth if

I. They aren’t
II. Sailcloth is a great material to use anyway
Sailcloth is not a good material to use. It really sucks trying to make it into a watch strap. And it is not comfortable. The reason for using this name is for marketing, it sounds cool and durable.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:24 pm

Interesting......