Helm Isofrane "homage" strap

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Helm Isofrane "homage" strap

Post by Bob1035 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:57 am

I've really been digging my first Isofrane (which I picked up here, thanks manitoujoe!). I wanted a different color, so I figured I'd take a flyer on the $30 Helm version. It came yesterday and I figured I'd share my thoughts, at the risk of sparking yet another "homage/copy" debate

For the money, the Helm is nearly the equal, but the Iso is a slight bit softer, and what I describe as simply being a little higher quality. The Helm fit/finish are great, just not quite there.

Major Differences: No vanilla smell on the Helm, and no ridges on the back. We'll see how the Helm does in the water this summer.

Looks familiar!
helm small.jpg
Helm small 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Re: Helm Isofrane "homage" strap

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:08 am

It all comes down to if you like the strap, and if the strap doesn't break in the first 6 months. If someone else has found a rubber compound formulation that works and wants to mold it like the style Isofrane uses, then all the power to them. Any patent on that shape is long expired.
The Hapa

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am

We need more Toxic Magnums. I prefer them over the many times more expensive ISO.
- Todd

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Re: Helm Isofrane

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:18 am

Chocodove wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am
We need more Toxic Magnums. I prefer them over the many times more expensive ISO.
:cheers:

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:47 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am
Totally agree! (And more shiznits.....)

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:22 pm

Chocodove wrote:We need more Toxic Magnums. I prefer them over the many times more expensive ISO.
The Magnums are great, but the keepers aren’t.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:42 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:22 pm
Chocodove wrote:We need more Toxic Magnums. I prefer them over the many times more expensive ISO.
The Magnums are great, but the keepers aren’t.
agreed.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:44 pm

the new iso is even different than the original one. i like the original version best. i believe now iso released a newer iso without the vanilla scent.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:00 pm

toxicavenger wrote:the new iso is even different than the original one. i like the original version best. i believe now iso released a newer iso without the vanilla scent.
The newest dark grey one I have is significant stiffer and less supple than the older ones. It doesn’t smell as bad as some of those, though.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:23 am

Random:

So I've been rocking the legit Iso for a few days now, and the vanilla smell has really dissipated. It still smells though, and it totally triggered a childhood memory. It smells *exactly* like my dad's dive mask and fins that he had since the 70s; old school, glass lens, etc. I fondly remember them in a random crate in our basement, and I used them in our pool and beach trips up until I broke them at some point as a kid. They smelled exactly like my isofrane does now. Wierd, but also kinda cool as I'd pretty much forgotten about the mask/fins.

:split:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Bob1035 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:23 am
Random:

So I've been rocking the legit Iso for a few days now, and the vanilla smell has really dissipated. It still smells though, and it totally triggered a childhood memory. It smells *exactly* like my dad's dive mask and fins that he had since the 70s; old school, glass lens, etc. I fondly remember them in a random crate in our basement, and I used them in our pool and beach trips up until I broke them at some point as a kid. They smelled exactly like my isofrane does now. Wierd, but also kinda cool as I'd pretty much forgotten about the mask/fins.

Weird. The snorkel/mask I have used smelled like rubber. The ISO I have had for last 6 years still smells like a floozy bathed in vanilla.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:36 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:25 pm
Bob1035 wrote:
Random:

Weird. The snorkel/mask I have used smelled like rubber. The ISO I have had for last 6 years still smells like a floozy bathed in vanilla.
Stop using vanilla scented lube and you might stand a chance of it losing the smells.

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:35 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Bob1035 wrote:
Random:

It only smelled like the mask once the vanilla went away :fro:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:44 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:36 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Bob1035 wrote:
Random:

Stop using vanilla scented lube and you might stand a chance of it losing the smells.
:excited: :excited: :excited: