Gold metal square

Discussion of G-Shocks and related digital watches.
Torrid
Name: Heath

Gold metal square

Post by Torrid » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 pm

The GMWB5000BD-9. Just got this one 3 days ago. So far I’m loving it. The biggest surprise is the finish. I saw much talk over how easily the standard SS model scratches, but nothing about the gold model. I decided I’d treat it like any other G-Shock and worked on my truck and have been using it for work too. These pictures were just taken before this thread and I’ve yet to scratch it and I’ve hit it on a couple of metal surfaces already. The coating seems pretty tough to me.

Bracelet sizing was easy. Each link is connected with spring bars. All it took was a ToxicNATO spring bar tool using the push pin size and it was on the wrist in a a couple of minutes.

Functionality wise it’s your typical solar/atomic G and the backlight is awesome how it fades out instead of just being off and on. Very legible for a reverse display. My only gripe is the Bluetooth setting function. It’ll never auto connect to my iPhone, so I disabled the feature and now just rely on the Multiband radio. Now I just need the solid gold $70k model.

smalls
Name: Matt

Re: Gold metal square

Post by smalls » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:29 pm

I love my stainless version. Thought about selling but it’s just way too fun. And I really like the vertical brushed bezel.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:45 pm

I got rid of the stainless version I had but really thinking about picking up the black version with regular display on rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:49 pm

That’s cool - I don’t think it would fly where I work, but looks like fun ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Seiko could learn a thing or two from coating technology. Still not a scratch. I bashed the bracelet on an exposed aluminum fence while mowing and saw a huge mark. It wiped right off and I looked at the fence and saw a huge gouge. So far I’ve been wearing this one everywhere and the gold has me considering the gold NAFT.

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:56 am

I bought Wu's gold anniv. addition. Fun watch, but in the end it was a lot of gold. I ended up with the gold turtle, and that too seems too much for me. I reach for the padi turtle more often than the gold turtle.
Image Image

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 pm

TLgdeL wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:56 am
I bought Wu's gold anniv. addition. Fun watch, but in the end it was a lot of gold. I ended up with the gold turtle, and that too seems too much for me. I reach for the padi turtle more often than the gold turtle.
I’ve been thinking about getting the gold Turtle, swapping the crystal and wearing it on the OEM rubber. This watch has put me on a gold kick.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:07 pm

I like it a lot.

Thought about the SS version many times and tried on the PVD version at a dept. store a couple weeks ago and it's very well put together and has that classic G look I love. I'd disable the bluetooth as well and glad to know that's an option.

Unfortunately, it seems like my eyes are always set on something else (new edition Arnie for the fall), but it's sweet watch no doubt.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:14 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:07 pm
I like it a lot.

Thought about the SS version many times and tried on the PVD version at a dept. store a couple weeks ago and it's very well put together and has that classic G look I love. I'd disable the bluetooth as well and glad to know that's an option.

Unfortunately, it seems like my eyes are always set on something else (new edition Arnie for the fall), but it's sweet watch no doubt.
I actually use it the other way around. I disabled atomic sync and I use the Bluetooth sync manually instead.

CGSshorty
Admin

Gold metal square

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:02 pm

I wish there was a gold version available with the rubber strap. That would look great.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins