New Laptop/Tablet

Get your nerd on.
zepp21
Name: Alex

New Laptop/Tablet

Post by zepp21 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:16 am

The iPad Mini finally crapped out after 6+years (I think I bought it in 2011-2012) and it's time for something new. I just bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 with the Intel i5 processor in it. I love it but I've run into a number of problems that I'm hoping someone in the know will be able to help with. First off, this is primarily used as a commuting device, traveling to/from work via rail, watching movies, with the occassional email, etc. I also have an OG aluminum body macbook but with technology and phones, rarely use it.

The Surface Pro should be idea for me but here are the issues:

Amazon prime video = no offline capability or app for windows PC
HBO go = same as above
Google Movies - Same

So as you can tell, it's quite a pain and pointless if I can only use the netflix app when streaming offline. Does anyone know if this capability is coming to windows 10/surface pro or should I return it for something else?

If I return it, I'm torn between a chromebook or tablet but here are some possibilities:

Samsung S4
iPad Pro
Pixel Slate
Pixelbook

What are the d-dub thoughts?

PS, android user for phone if that adds anything to it.

:bananastoner:

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Re: New Laptop/Tablet

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:54 am

Get yourself an iPad Pro with LTE and WiFi, then you won’t need to worry about being offline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:04 am

tattoo chef wrote:Get yourself an iPad Pro with LTE and WiFi, then you won’t need to worry about being offline.

^ This.

I have the Pro and love it, but I’m a “Mac kinda guy”.

I’ve also got a Surface Go, but only use it for software “coding” on my Jeep.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:33 pm

Ditto on the iPad Pro

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:45 pm

I'm just not sure I'm sold on the iPad pro yet. I haven't been an Apple guy in a while and nothing else I own flows through the Apple ecosystem. I like the Surface, a lot, but not being able to stream Amazon Prime or download GooglePlay Movies to it just seems backwards in terms of capability. If I knew that was currently in development, problem solved but here we are.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Can you Chromecast via your phone?

zepp21

Re: Ares - unboxing

Post by zepp21 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:35 pm

bedlam wrote:Can you Chromecast via your phone?
Yes, I can.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 pm

I love my iPad Pro. On it now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:02 am

This Chromebook has a lot of capabilities for the money, including touchscreen and Google Play Store apps. 4 gigs of ram is plenty of speed for a chromebook. If you don't have wi-fi available, use your phone as a hotspot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G ... UTF8&psc=1
No, it's not Tourettes.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:38 am

For commuter purposes and mainly being a consumer of content, rather than being a creator of content, I would save some cash and go with the standard iPad with wifi only.

I commute a ton for work (plane mostly) and the standard wifi iPad with 128GB of memory is about $400. That is a ton of space for Amazon Prime and Netflix downloads (haven't hit movie capacity yet and I'll download multiple seasons of shows to binge watch while on long trips).

I don't go with LTE because I have 2 phones which both can serve as hot spots as needed. I don't need another cellular data contract. I typically load up the iPad with movies before I head out to travel anyway.

For emails and such, I either use the touch screen or I use an inexpensive folding blue tooth keyboard. I rarely use the iPad for email, however, as my work email requires encryption and my personal email I tend to just use my phone for answering.

I'm negotiating with work to get me a Microsoft Surface, but even they did get me one, I'd still use my iPad for my commuting distraction purposes.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:42 am

manitoujoe wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 pm
I love my iPad Pro. On it now.
This. Not that I’m adding much to the conversation, but it’s another ipad pro datapoint.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:38 am
For commuter purposes and mainly being a consumer of content, rather than being a creator of content, I would save some cash and go with the standard iPad with wifi only.

I commute a ton for work (plane mostly) and the standard wifi iPad with 128GB of memory is about $400. That is a ton of space for Amazon Prime and Netflix downloads (haven't hit movie capacity yet and I'll download multiple seasons of shows to binge watch while on long trips).

I don't go with LTE because I have 2 phones which both can serve as hot spots as needed. I don't need another cellular data contract. I typically load up the iPad with movies before I head out to travel anyway.

For emails and such, I either use the touch screen or I use an inexpensive folding blue tooth keyboard. I rarely use the iPad for email, however, as my work email requires encryption and my personal email I tend to just use my phone for answering.

I'm negotiating with work to get me a Microsoft Surface, but even they did get me one, I'd still use my iPad for my commuting distraction purposes.
I never got the tablet thing (I tried a Samsung tablet for a while)

Much prefer a laptop with touch screen as it has it's own base. It's easier to have on my lap for long periods of time and text entry is far easier with a keyboard.

I have an HP Spectre. It has the touch screen and folds over into a tablet if you want.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:47 am

bedlam wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:37 pm
Ryeguy wrote:

I never got the tablet thing (I tried a Samsung tablet for a while)

Much prefer a laptop with touch screen as it has it's own base. It's easier to have on my lap for long periods of time and text entry is far easier with a keyboard.

I have an HP Spectre. It has the touch screen and folds over into a tablet if you want.
In my opinion, it really depends upon the use case for the device. For commuting purposes where I want to download Netflix or Amazon Prime movies, the iPad wins. The apps available for these services make downloading movies super easy.

For creating content such documents and presentations, the PC wins.

My job requires me to fly around the country then do presentations, so I use both devices. Horses for courses.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Ryeguy wrote:

Couldn’t have said it better.

3migo
Name: Russell

Post by 3migo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:26 am

I've got a Pixelbook now and I would highly recommend it. Since it runs Android apps, you have a lot more app potential than what the Microsoft store offers.

The Surface line is great and I've had three of them now. But they're definitely more work focused, less entertainment.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Another iPad Pro user here.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:14 pm

iPad Pro.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Leapfrog LeapPad 2. Make sure you download the Dora the explorer game.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak: