Easiest and cheapest way for new iphone (6 or greater)

Get your nerd on.
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:34 pm

I'm not a tech guy. If it weren't for needing a fancy phone for work I'd likely still have my old flip-phone from 2005.

Last fall I dropped my phone in the toilet and it's been a hassle ever since. I need a change but DO NOT NEED the latest and greatest. Maybe another 6 or slightly newer model as I'm guessing the 6s are gone now. Cheap cheap cheap and in good working order is the idea here. Need to be able to communicate with work, home, take video/pictures and that's it!

It loses it's full charge after only 20 minutes of use and sometimes lies to you as it has a mind of its own. Sometimes it shows 90% when it's really at <5% and shuts down. And once it shuts down I'm screwed... I have to plug it into the charger and warm it up on the top of my toaster oven to get it to respond, just like phone defibrillation

If you turn it off it still eats the battery but maybe 100% in 60minutes. When I work I have it plugged into a portable power supply at all times.

I need advice and options on another iphone. Or maybe go super cheap and get a new battery?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: Easiest and cheapest way for new iphone (6 or greater)

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:03 pm

My wife just went to look at getting a new battery for her old iPhone. She was told the battery replacement process could (small chance) brick the phone. If that occurs, both the Best Buy Geek Squad and Apple stores will replace the phone at no charge.

That would be my first step if you are OK with the current device.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:04 pm

You can get a refurbished 6S around $100 on eBay.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:46 pm

You don’t have to be a “tech person” to appreciate keeping your phone models new. That battery hassle you describe gives me anxiety already. These days, so much of our day-to-day is managed by our phones, it’s probably one of the most effective places to put dollars. You don’t necessarily need to have the highest end model or the newest every year, but I sure as hell don’t want to go through most of the day worrying about my phone randomly shutting off or running out of battery and then my kids or wife not being able to get ahold of me, not being able to do work, not having access to navigation, etc...

We spend money on much less useful things (besides watches).

To me, the most cost effective buy is to get the newest model used phone you can, then use it for a couple years, and then upgrade the same way. You save yourself about 50% or more off MSRP this way.
:htfu:

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Swappa is another great place to buy used & refurbished phones. Picked up an Iphone 8 there last year, no hassles.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:45 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:46 pm
You don’t have to be a “tech person” to appreciate keeping your phone models new. That battery hassle you describe gives me anxiety already. These days, so much of our day-to-day is managed by our phones, it’s probably one of the most effective places to put dollars. You don’t necessarily need to have the highest end model or the newest every year, but I sure as hell don’t want to go through most of the day worrying about my phone randomly shutting off or running out of battery and then my kids or wife not being able to get ahold of me, not being able to do work, not having access to navigation, etc...

We spend money on much less useful things (besides watches).

To me, the most cost effective buy is to get the newest model used phone you can, then use it for a couple years, and then upgrade the same way. You save yourself about 50% or more off MSRP this way.
Matt's right. I just replaced my, and my wife's iphone 5s with an XR (me) and an Iphone 11 (her). We fucked around with those junk phones for YEARS because I was too cheap to by us new phones. Mine was around $750 and her's was $850. That's a lot of money but have a phone that just works is worth it.

Save money taking a lunch every day to pay for it, and get the added benefit of being less fat.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:07 pm

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 pm

Sent you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:43 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 pm
Sent you a pm

Don't see it.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:45 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 pm
Sent you a pm

Don't see it.
He was probably talking to Eric.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 pm

We’ll readily pay thousands of dollars for something that could easily be replaced by a more accurate $50 alternative and we’re complaining about what a personal computer/life manager/cannot live without device costs (that also does the function of said thousands of dollars item)?

:lol:
- Todd

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 pm
We’ll readily pay thousands of dollars for something that could easily be replaced by a more accurate $50 alternative and we’re complaining about what a personal computer/life manager/cannot live without device costs (that also does the function of said thousands of dollars item)?

Back in ’99 through pre- 9/11, I was on a pager with a unit at the President’s call... 2hr bags, ruck, weapon and ammo ready with an overall <18yr wheels-deployment anywhere in the world.

We called that rersal a type of “car”... won’t say which car or color of car... but it was a fast car. :mrgreen:

I thought I was high speed in getting myself a watch pager for my last years there after.

My boy from high school - Americandave — DWC handle who should post more often but is too busy being a badass attorney (or too torn on his next watch via pm) — introduced me to now wife then at Georgetown where I missed a critical moment with that wristwatch pager... Let’s just say I was out of bounds, got it wet, and suffered the consequences. :gayumbrella:

Never again... gotta get this sorted.

Americandave
Name: Dave

Post by Americandave » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:38 am

I remember that day well - angry phone call from the army looking for you Hahahaha

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:47 am

sierra11b wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 pm
Chocodove wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Back in ’99 through pre- 9/11, I was on a pager with a unit at the President’s call... 2hr bags, ruck, weapon and ammo ready with an overall <18yr wheels-deployment anywhere in the world.

We called that rersal a type of “car”... won’t say which car or color of car... but it was a fast car. :mrgreen:

I thought I was high speed in getting myself a watch pager for my last years there after.

My boy from high school - Americandave — DWC handle who should post more often but is too busy being a badass attorney (or too torn on his next watch via pm) — introduced me to now wife then at Georgetown where I missed a critical moment with that wristwatch pager... Let’s just say I was out of bounds, got it wet, and suffered the consequences. :gayumbrella:

Never again... gotta get this sorted.
Sounds a bit draconian but then again you weren’t living at the fire station like the firemen do (firepersons?)
The Hapa

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:03 pm

I’m gonna try Don’s lead tomorrow.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm happy not to to be tied to expensive Apple stuff. These electronic gizmos all wear out eventually and with the battery of my OG Pixel holding less of a charge as time goes on, I see a new phone in the near future. Fortunately, a brand new Pixel 3a can be found for around $325. I love having a phone that's compatible with any carrier.
No, it's not Tourettes.