Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10; Help Please, Pritty Please?

Get your nerd on.
AZpops
Name: Lance

Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10; Help Please, Pritty Please?

Post by AZpops » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:48 pm

Per the information sheet (provided with the Toshiba, as well as disks) for upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

1. It states to change the BIOS setting to UEFI BIOS mode prior to installing. Although the disk will install windows 10, without changing the BIOS mode. The following Windows 10 Pro functions will not work.

* Secure Boot
* Seamless Boot Experience
* Network unlock for Bitlocker for systems Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
* eDrive support

I did the F2 key thing to get to the BIOS. Changed the CSM Boot to UEFI Boot, hit ESC. It then instructs to select Security -> Secure Boot and
then Enabled. To save change and exit BIOS setup, press F10.

I was able to do the switch to UEFI Boot, but there is not a selection to Enable it. ... :shrug:

Question; if I leave the enabled part of it out, will it be OK to install the Windows 10? Not certain if the any above listed items is important or not, but figured I'd try and do it right.

2. When ready to install Windows 10:

* Instruction states to Make Sure Your Computer is turned OFF.
* Press hold the F12 key, and then turn on the computer to start the Boot Menu.
* Load Windows 10 Pro Recovery Media in the optical disc drive.
* Select ODD in the Boot Menu.
* Follow the on-screen instrcutions to complete the set up.

Question; After completing the install. Do I have to change the Boot Menu to whatever it was origionally?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Lance

nweash
Name: Nick

Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10; Help Please, Pritty Please?

Post by nweash » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 pm

Man all that pre setup stuff looks daunting.

All I did was backup my drives. Plug in setup disk. Boot to setup disk. Choose upgrade. Let it do it’s thing and it was done.

If it wouldn’t boot after I’d choose f2 or bios to select drive the OS is installed on. That’s all I did for 8 workstations and 3 personal computers.

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 am

Simply turning on UEFI enables it. Secure Boot is usually a separate setting. With 10, you'll leave it in UEFI after the upgrade

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 am

nweash wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 pm
Man all that pre setup stuff looks daunting.

All I did was backup my drives. Plug in setup disk. Boot to setup disk. Choose upgrade. Let it do it’s thing and it was done.

If it wouldn’t boot after I’d choose f2 or bios to select drive the OS is installed on. That’s all I did for 8 workstations and 3 personal computers.

When you know what you're doing, sounds so easy! ... :lol: ... I should have done this when I had the support. Anyways, I found the bag with all the disc's to upgrade, or restore Windows 7, as well as the instructions. Checked it out, OK, I guess I can do it; then, BAM! Right out of the gate, a hick up! Shit!!!... :lol:

four20 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 am
Simply turning on UEFI enables it. Secure Boot is usually a separate setting. With 10, you'll leave it in UEFI after the upgrade

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk

OK, thanks! After changing he Boot sequence (?), and installing the Windows 10 upgrade disc. Once the install is complete. Do I have to switch the Boot sequence? or will in revert to what it was after the install?

Thanks!
Lance

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:12 am

Boot order is probably default to network, dvd/cdrom , then disk. Network may be first or not there unless enabled somewhere else.

This makes sense and can be left alone. If you don’t have a bootable disk in dvd/cdrom drive, it then goes to hard drive.

You can leave this as is, and simply remove the windows install media after the install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:24 am

gamecock111 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:12 am
Boot order is probably default to network, dvd/cdrom , then disk. Network may be first or not there unless enabled somewhere else.

This makes sense and can be left alone. If you don’t have a bootable disk in dvd/cdrom drive, it then goes to hard drive.

You can leave this as is, and simply remove the windows install media after the install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great! Thanks! Really appreciate the advise! I'm gonna try the install later this morning. One good thing is, I'm leaving the computer with Windows 7 alone. You know, in the event I smoke the Toshiba! ... :lol: ... This way, I can still work on stuff!

I have the disc's for Microsoft Works (which I've been using for years on my Windows 7 computer. Would it work with Windows 10?

Thanks!
Lance

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:29 am

BTW, I figured, if all goes wrong. I'll stop by Best Buy, and ask the Geek Squad how much they charge for this sort of thing. ... :crybaby: ... :lol:

Update: just watched a upgrade vid on YouTube. I'll do the install / upgrade next week when my Verizon WiFi speed is reset. This way when Windows 10 starts downloading it's updates, it will go faster. I normally use up my fast internet speeds within a week and a half, or so.

OK, back to watching Windows 10 upgrade privacy tips, and such! Really exciting stuff! ... :raised: .... :lol:
Lance

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:57 am

Well, it's all done. Didn't realize all he stuff you've gotta tweak in 10. Microsoft Works installed without a hitch, so far anyways. Even my printer install went well. Still have to double check the update settings.

Thanks again for the help!
Lance