It ain't Windows 7, that's fur sure!

:tap:
Lance

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Re: Starting to Not Liking Windows 10

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:36 am

Yes Windows 10 sucks! However, it can be set-up to look/feel like Windows 7. My IT guy did so for me.

AZpops
Name: Lance

Post by AZpops » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:44 am

59yukon01 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:36 am
Yes Windows 10 sucks! However, it can be set-up to look/feel like Windows 7. My IT guy did so for me.

I wish I had a go to guy like your friend! I'm just glad my windows 7 laptop is still going!
Lance

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:55 am

AZpops wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:

I wish I had a go to guy like your friend! I'm just glad my windows 7 laptop is still going!
To be fair it's my work laptop and my company's internal IT took care of it.

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:40 am

59yukon01 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:55 am
AZpops wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:

To be fair it's my work laptop and my company's internal IT took care of it.

OK, either way, the main thing things are doing better. I kind of wish I left the windows 7 on the Toshiba. Google wasn't updating (kept getting an error), so I tried to uninstall it, but nope won't uninstall. OK, left it alone, then tried installing FireFox. Went through the download thru Mozilla, but when the install green progress bar was at the end. I got a "for some reason couldn't install". checked my desk top, and there's ForeFox (but in a muted color). Tried uninstalling FireFox, but the darn thing kept going, and wouldn't uninstall.

Oh well!
Lance

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:47 am

I don't think those are 'Windows 10' issues. While I appreciate that you're having problems post upgrade, it sounds like there is something else wrong, or your upgrade was not fully successful.

If anything, it sounds like the account you're using isn't an administrator account, or some permissions got messed up. Unfortunately, based on what I've read, I'm not sure what to suggest to you to fix it.

I recently did a win7 -> win10 upgrade and was surprised how relatively smoothly it worked. Not a fan of Win10 overall, but much can be tweaked to make it less annoying.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:46 am

Classic shell was great for getting my windows 7 vibe back.

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Microsuck hasn't had a stable OS since Windows for Workgroups

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:10 pm

starting to not like it?? It came out like in 2015......:) Are you just starting to use it? I think it got way better over time, didnt like it at first,
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Windows ‘98 for life!

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:22 pm

four20 wrote:Microsuck hasn't had a stable OS since Windows for Workgroups
That's simply incorrect.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:15 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:47 am
I don't think those are 'Windows 10' issues. While I appreciate that you're having problems post upgrade, it sounds like there is something else wrong, or your upgrade was not fully successful.

If anything, it sounds like the account you're using isn't an administrator account, or some permissions got messed up. Unfortunately, based on what I've read, I'm not sure what to suggest to you to fix it.

I recently did a win7 -> win10 upgrade and was surprised how relatively smoothly it worked. Not a fan of Win10 overall, but much can be tweaked to make it less annoying.
When I did the upgrade, I guess it went well. All seemed to go smoothly, but then, what do I know. ... :lol: ... I'm doing the 12 to 14 hour shifts from tonight, so I'll play with it next week. The main thing I guess, is Microsoft Works and my printer is working. I started using Edge last night and that seems to be working OK.

Thanks!

Oh, and thanks everybody for the feed back! Appreciated it! ... :thumbsup:
Lance

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 am

AZpops wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:15 pm
jeckyll wrote:

When I did the upgrade, I guess it went well. All seemed to go smoothly, but then, what do I know. ... :lol: ... I'm doing the 12 to 14 hour shifts from tonight, so I'll play with it next week. The main thing I guess, is Microsoft Works and my printer is working. I started using Edge last night and that seems to be working OK.

Thanks!

When you get to it, here are a few things that may help:
1. check the event log for errors and google them (the system log).
2. go to users and check if the account that you're using is an administrator account. If not, then something is seriously messed up.
3. if so, maybe set up a new user on the system, log in as that user and then see if you have the same issues (sounds like something got corrupted during the migration).
4. if none of those work, download Malewarebytes and see if you can do a full system scan to see if you got something nasty on the computer. If you can't install that either, it's possible you need to re-install Windows / try to do something more low-level to restore the OS to a functional state.

Hope that helps and one of those will get you up and running.

Bjorn

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:56 am

jeckyll wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 am
AZpops wrote:
jeckyll wrote:

Thanks!

2. go to users and check if the account that you're using is an administrator account. If not, then something is seriously messed up.
3. if so, maybe set up a new user on the system, log in as that user and then see if you have the same issues (sounds like something got corrupted during the migration).
4. if none of those work, download Malewarebytes and see if you can do a full system scan to see if you got something nasty on the computer. If you can't install that either, it's possible you need to re-install Windows / try to do something more low-level to restore the OS to a functional state.

Bjorn
Thanks! First program I installed was Malwarebytes Premium, and CCleaner Pro! Have both on my Windows 7 laptop as well! ... :thumbsup: ... Both programs, as well as Microsoft Works and my HP printer installed OK.

This is the reason I was trying to update Chrome on the Toshiba (Chrome in my windows 7, updated without a hitch);

I also did a YouTube search on the uninstall, and it seems to be a problem.

OK, going to crash and get some Z's! .... :cheers:

=
Lance

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:32 am

jeckyll wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 am
AZpops wrote:
jeckyll wrote:

Thanks!

Bjorn
I checked User Accounts, and I am Local Account / Administrator. I checked the event log, but there isn't anything listed. As noted earlier, I purchased Malwarebytes Premium, did the scan, and nah dah, all's good.

Thanks!
Lance

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:51 am

Too bad none of those things addressed your issue!

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:16 am

jeckyll wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:51 am
Too bad none of those things addressed your issue!
Still trying to recover, but I'll start watching a few youtube vids I found, re. uninstalling Chrome. See how it goes. Thanks!
Lance

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Pretty annoying. I've been lucky with Win10 so far, its been solid.

Personally I'd dump Chrome...its essentially spyware.

https://hothardware.com/news/study-clai ... un-firefox

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/bu ... video.html

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:33 am

bedlam wrote:Pretty annoying. I've been lucky with Win10 so far, its been solid.

Agree on not using chrome.

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 am

jeckyll wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:33 am
bedlam wrote:Pretty annoying. I've been lucky with Win10 so far, its been solid.

Thanks for the tip. Problem is, I tried installing FireFox, and guess what? It wouldn't install! ... :tap: ... I guess I'll try again!

Thanks again!
Lance

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:53 pm

AZpops wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 am
jeckyll wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Problem is, I tried installing FireFox, and guess what? It wouldn't install! ... :tap: ... I guess I'll try again!

Thanks again!
Yeah, you have a problem that's not related to the browser.

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 am

jeckyll wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:53 pm
AZpops wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 am
jeckyll wrote:

Thanks again!
Yeah, you have a problem that's not related to the browser.
I wish I knew more about this sort of stuff. Malwarebytes had a update, which I did a few minutes ago on this windows 7 laptop, and all as expected went well. I'll fire up the Toshiba later, as I'm sure the update will be on that computer as well. Give it a shot an see how it goes.
Lance

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:47 pm

are you sure you are an admin on your pc? https://www.technipages.com/windows-ins ... -computers

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:17 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:47 pm
are you sure you are an admin on your pc? https://www.technipages.com/windows-ins ... -computers

Sorry for the delayed thanks, T. I'll check into the link / instructions tomorrow. Been preoccupied with stuff, know how that goes.

Thanks again!
Lance

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:52 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:47 pm
That's what I asked ;)