iPad keyboard

Get your nerd on.
Torrid
Name: Heath

iPad keyboard

Post by Torrid » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:52 am

Anyone here with a good suggestion on an IPad keyboard? I’ve tried some of the Reddit pages to ask this sort of question but apparently asking for real world experience of products I’m interested in buying is against the rules. Right now I’m using a Logitech K480 with my iPad Pro 10.5 and it’s good but I don’t love it, but as I was typing this I think it’s growing on me. The keys are actually fairly long travel. It just looks ugly to me and doesn’t look like it fits the Apple design language. Yes I’m aware of how snooty that sounds. :lol:

It’s actually my kid’s keyboard and she hasn’t used it since she was issued a Chromebook for home use with the way schools keep shutting down. It does have a slot for the iPad to sit in, but it does not fit with the case on which isn’t the worst because I could just as easy use the iPad without a case and not be bothered by it. I had looked at the Apple Magic keyboard in conjunction with a stand that would work with my end table to set the iPad on and to me this is the most attractive combination. The stand I want is $40 and the keyboard is $100 and I love the fact that the keyboard is rechargeable with a Lightning cable, whereas the K480 uses AAA batteries. Just how good is the Apple keyboard though for those that have used it? $100 seems like a lot for a keyboard but if it’s the best damn keyboard I can fondle with my digits then that’s a selling point. At this point I think I’ve given up on the idea of the Smart Keyboard or keyboard cases because it seems that these options wouldn’t sit well reclined in a chair, thinking it would require desk or table use and that’s not something I’m interested in. I’ve decided to just fully embrace the iPad as an laptop solution and I know many around here probably have already done this and may have some insight. What would you recommend?

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: iPad keyboard

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:27 pm

If you typed all the above on that keyboard, I think you should spend the dough on a Seiko and call it a day ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

iPad keyboard

Post by matt.wu » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:41 pm

If you’re fully in on iPad, then the magic keyboard is the best option if money isn’t the limiting factor. I have one, and I like it, but I also don’t have extensive experience with non-OEM options.
:htfu:

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:21 pm

I ended up going down the rabbit hole of keyboards on Reddit now that I realize that's a thing. Apparently that's a serious hobby. I bought a mechanical Keychron K2, but if it wasn't for that I would have bought the Magic Keyboard.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:20 am

Just make sure you get one that is properly sized, and not one of the narrower ones that are the same width as the iPad.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:55 am

I like Apple Smart Keyboard (the magic keyboard is only for the newer iPad Pro (11” and above) But you need a back case plate for it as it doesn’t wrap around the back of iPad.

You get used to the typing on it but it is small and and no backlight and no trackpad either.

These are the back cases I’m talking about.

KHOMO - iPad Pro 10.5 Inch & iPad Air 3 2019 Charcoal Gray Color Case - Companion Cover - Perfect match for Apple Smart keyboard and Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07215MYS4/re ... .FbNTC25NW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:29 am

Here’s the final setup I ended up going with. Satechi iPad mount and the Keychron K2 75% keyboard with Gateron brown switches. I love it but I’m not sure my wife loves the clickyness. Brown is supposed to be the quietest but they still make a good amount of noise.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm

Torrid wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:29 am
Here’s the final setup I ended up going with. Satechi iPad mount and the Keychron K2 75% keyboard with Gateron brown switches. I love it but I’m not sure my wife loves the clickyness. Brown is supposed to be the quietest but they still make a good amount of noise.
Nice!

Buy her some earplugs :lol:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:10 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm
Torrid wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:29 am
Nice!

Buy her some earplugs :lol:
Well she hasn’t complained yet but I’ve gotten a few looks. Her laptop keyboard is much quieter. :lol: