Need parental help: Fortnite on Nintendo Switch

Get your nerd on.
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Need parental help: Fortnite on Nintendo Switch

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:52 am

My 8yo won’t stop talking about this game. All of his friends have it so I’ve decided to ask the pros here before purchasing. All his friends dads are cool. :oops:

My apprehension is that it’s online and I’m ignorant on his potential level of exposure to other people and potential predators asking where he lives, etc.

9 times out of 10 I’m in the same room anyway. He’s incredibly smart, and we’ve raised him better, but want to know what risks, if any, exist for this game.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Need parental help: Fortnite on Nintendo Switch

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 pm

I don’t know fortnite but I do know how much racist and vile shit people talk during online play. If there’s a chat function I wouldn’t let my similarly old daughter play it.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:19 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 pm
I don’t know fortnite but I do know how much racist and vile shit people talk during online play. If there’s a chat function I wouldn’t let my similarly old daughter play it.
Exactly.

He’s been telling me his friends have told him there’s no verbal or written interaction, which I find hard to believe.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:59 pm

Both my boys have played, but they’re older. My 17 yo was particularly into it.

A few things.

First, apparently the switch isn’t the best platform for the game. That’s the system we have and I guess it lags.

Second, you can definitely have verbal interaction, but I’m pretty sure you have to opt in, usually with specific people you know. My boys have played games with their friends and cousin. I’ve never seen written interaction, at least on the switch platform.

Third, the premise of the game (as I imagine you know) is a battle royale scenario where you try to kill everyone else to win. There are also team versions, but same premise. It’s all bloodless and done with funny costumes, but it’s a lot of shooting and killing. I’m not one to tell other people what they should let their own kids do, but I’d think twice about letting an 8 year old play.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:30 pm

I have a nephew and know a friends son who are seriously addicted to this game
The only time I see them animated is when they play it
They will play at night and then not function the next day
Both of them are in their early teens and their schooling is suffering

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm

Also, consider Luigi's Haunted Mansion 3, if you don't have it. It's a lot of fun, my daughter loves it, and we can play it together cooperatively. It has some online stuff too, but since it's a Nintendo designed game I'm 100% sure it's safe.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:27 pm

amckiwi wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:30 pm
I have a nephew and know a friends son who are seriously addicted to this game
The only time I see them animated is when they play it
They will play at night and then not function the next day
Both of them are in their early teens and their schooling is suffering
I can see that.

We've got my son in a regiment where screen time for him only exists Friday and Saturday, so long as it doesn't interfere with family time.

We've also got some great family oriented games like Mario Party (so much fun even my mom and dad love it!), Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Mario Odyssey (taking turns -- likely the best Mario game ever created.) We never go over board playing often cutting it off around 2hrs max.

He has games he'll play solo and during the summer we allow him to only play 1hr max daily IF he reads 15 minutes and summarizes what he read to either me or mom. No play time whatsoever during the school week.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:28 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm
Also, consider Luigi's Haunted Mansion 3, if you don't have it. It's a lot of fun, my daughter loves it, and we can play it together cooperatively. It has some online stuff too, but since it's a Nintendo designed game I'm 100% sure it's safe.
Yes, that's a fun one. I didn't play but watched my wife and him beat the game twice. See my post above for other family games. Mario Party is a must have. The board game in that game is fun and the mini games are a blast!

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:43 pm

No written interaction in Fortnite, and you can mute teammates audio (last I played, which was years ago).
:htfu:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:02 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:28 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm
Yes, that's a fun one. I didn't play but watched my wife and him beat the game twice. See my post above for other family games. Mario Party is a must have. The board game in that game is fun and the mini games are a blast!
I've been thinking about Mario Odyssey. My daughter beat Mario Galaxy 1 this summer fully by herself but Galaxy 2 and Super Mario Sunshine are both damn hard games. Is Odyssey similarly hard?

I've also been thinking about picking up Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it looks pretty cool.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Haven’t played the others you mentioned so can’t compare.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:57 pm

My son downloaded it a few years ago because his older cousin was into it. His cousin is seriously addicted to it and other games, it’s bad.
My son played it once in a while and then would stop after a few days, maybe going back to it a few times in the winter months. He had all the chat stuff turned off and could not interact with anyone. He also does not have headphones or anything.

The switch has so many cool games. I’m just glad my son can play for a while and want to get up and go outside on his own. Some kids, like his cousin, can play all day and not even know the what’s happening around him.

I would say that if your son really wanted to play and you are around him when he does- go for it. He may not even like it that much, and you being present means you can really monitor what happens. Def don’t let him use a headset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:15 pm

Do you want your 8 y.o. child playing a kill’em all game? I’d say wait till later. Maybe 5 years later.
The Hapa

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:37 pm

i got my kid an xbox at 14. i would wait if it was me. my daughter likes fortnite. but we regulate it. so she gets to only play a couple times a week.