Speed Limiters are coming or rather are already here

Get your nerd on.
Captdave
Name: Dave

Re: Speed Limiters are coming or rather are already here

Post by Captdave » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:40 am

Almost got popped at 0130 this morning but, thank God for radar detectors. Saved me a serious fine and denied my lawyer another contingency. Deserted road no other traffic and only 30+ the PSL. Perfectly safe and not endangering anyone. Speeding tickets are generally just a revenue generator as are red light cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:53 am

I'm reminded of Rush's Red Barchetta.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:39 pm

Captdave wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:40 am
Almost got popped at 0130 this morning but, thank God for radar detectors. Saved me a serious fine and denied my lawyer another contingency. Deserted road no other traffic and only 30+ the PSL. Perfectly safe and not endangering anyone. Speeding tickets are generally just a revenue generator as are red light cameras.

100% agree. I got one two weeks ago on an empty road going 51 on 35 from Costco. Subaru buyer cop was sitting there all day making money. I so wanted to tell her(?) why doesn’t she go on a bad side of town and stop a crime or something. Oh cause you can get shot there huh? I see :lol:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:53 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Captdave wrote:

100% agree. I got one two weeks ago on an empty road going 51 on 35 from Costco. Subaru buyer cop was sitting there all day making money. I so wanted to tell her(?) why doesn’t she go on a bad side of town and stop a crime or something. Oh cause you can get shot there huh? I see :lol:
Was it a residential street? With people potentially needing to pull out of driveways or side roads, etc.?
- Todd

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:28 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:53 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
Captdave wrote:

Was it a residential street? With people potentially needing to pull out of driveways or side roads, etc.?
No no driveways. A straight stretch for about a mile until next stop light.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:40 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Captdave wrote:

One local city I know of personally generates over 80% of its police departments budget from red light cameras. Not that there is any conflict of interest there or anything. It’s all about the money. Said city even adjusted, shortened, the yellow light time, to catch more offenders. All the while telling us it’s all for safety.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:50 pm

Captdave wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:40 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
Captdave wrote:

One local city I know of personally generates over 80% of its police departments budget from red light cameras. Not that there is any conflict of interest there or anything. It’s all about the money. Said city even adjusted, shortened, the yellow light time, to catch more offenders. All the while telling us it’s all for safety.

...and the private company who provides the system is happily feeding at the trough.

Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Post by Bob1035 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Selym wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:50 pm
Captdave wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Captdave wrote:

...and the private company who provides the system is happily feeding at the trough.
I was about to mention, in both the major cities I've lived in (first, Charlotte, NC, now Bodymore, MD), have had speed camera systems run by private firms, with only a fraction of the revenue (I seem to recall it was 15% in CLT) going back to the city for public improvements (schools, roads, etc, typical Gov-Co BS). Its a racket, and I only wish I'd thought of it :rock:

So to keep this thread sort of kind of on topic, what happens to these speed camera systems when there are Big Brother speed controls? Will the powers that be allow drivers to break the limit solely for the purpose of getting speedcam tickets? :bs:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:42 pm

Bob1035 wrote:
Selym wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:50 pm
Captdave wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Captdave wrote:

100% agree. I got one two weeks ago on an empty road going 51 on 35 from Costco. Subaru buyer cop was sitting there all day making money. I so wanted to tell her(?) why doesn’t she go on a bad side of town and stop a crime or something. Oh cause you can get shot there huh? I see Image

I was about to mention, in both the major cities I've lived in (first, Charlotte, NC, now Bodymore, MD), have had speed camera systems run by private firms, with only a fraction of the revenue (I seem to recall it was 15% in CLT) going back to the city for public improvements (schools, roads, etc, typical Gov-Co BS). Its a racket, and I only wish I'd thought of it :rock:

So to keep this thread sort of kind of on topic, what happens to these speed camera systems when there are Big Brother speed controls? Will the powers that be allow drivers to break the limit solely for the purpose of getting speedcam tickets? :bs:
Sounds like yet another revenue source (kickbacks) for the corrupt politicians who approved these private companies.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:56 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:39 pm
Captdave wrote:

Making quota.