Denim

Where did you get that man purse?
DoctorC
Name: Greg

Re: Denim

Post by DoctorC » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Fridays at the office are usually Jean days.
I overheard a coworker say that she did not like jeans because they just aren't comfortable. I replied that if you aren't pulling on your jeans and go, ahhhhhhh.... :love:
You're just buying the wrong jeans. :shrug:
Greg

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:48 pm

Torrid wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:08 pm
Bought a couple pair of 505’s, one with stretch just to try them out and also the color wasn’t available otherwise. They slide down. Not impressed. Going to have to wear a belt and won’t be buying stretch anymore.
I got some non stretch 505 non distressed for work use, but they’re a bit baggier in the leg than I like, but since I’m wearing them with 8 inch Red Wings they look ok. I think I’m spoiled by the slimmer better fitting selvedge.
jswing wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:17 pm
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:54 am
Torrid wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:45 pm
jswing wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:27 am
Torrid wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:27 am
jswing wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Torrid wrote:I now have a ridiculous amount of jeans but Levi has a great sale on their website on 511 selvedge jeans so I ordered two pair. I combined that with 20% off from joining their mailing list and got each pair for $61 each. They’re the first pair of selvedge stitch jeans I’ve ever bought. I’ve never had slimmer fit jeans but all my jeans are really baggy in the legs so they should fit me well.
I wish I'd seen that, the sale is over now and they're back up to $148. 511 is a nice cut, not skinny but not dad jeans.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Good to know. I had my concerns since it was listed as slim, but I find the pant legs to be too baggy on my 514s for anything other than jeans and if I’m really slumming it with flip flops I don’t like how the non selvedge cut looks rolled up.
I used to avoid anything labeled slim, but my wife convinced me to try them, and I've come to like a slightly slimmer cut. Still won't wear skinny jeans. Ever. I also haven't bought any non selvedge since I got my first pair of selvedge.
Just curious but have you had any luck finding more non stretch selvedge 511s? It doesn’t look like Levi’s makes them anymore.
No, but I haven't actually looked. I found a new (to me) brand that I really like. Bravestar Denim - made in the US of either American (Cone Mills stock) or Japanese selvedge, usually under $100.
I’ll have to check them out. Looks like the slim selvedge non stretch Levi’s have sailed.
I just pre ordered a pair of 14 oz Cone Mills denim they just released today - pre order price is $68. The particular denim is called Golden Handshake, a reference to their original handshake deal to provide denim to Levis for the 501. Anyway, they're well made and I like the fit better than anything else I've tried.

Did you get the slim straights they offer? I’m going to try some.
The 505 of today kinda sucks. The old 505’s were basically 501’s with a zipper fly. The newer 505’s have “extra room in the seat & thigh”. For a no-ass old dude like me I don’t need any more room in the seat or thigh.

I’ve had three pairs of 501’s (Made other than USA) have the rear belt loops pull away from the denim material for no apparent reason. It leaves nothing to stitch back onto and the loops that have failed aren’t under any particular stress (unlike the occasional side loop that sees wear against holsters & mag carriers). I’ve saved the last two pair and will be contacting Levi’s.

I ordered a couple pair of Made in USA 501’s and hope they hold up better.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:00 pm

DoctorC wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:14 pm
HapaHapa wrote:
Bought a couple pair of 505’s, one with stretch just to try them out and also the color wasn’t available otherwise. They slide down. Not impressed. Going to have to wear a belt and won’t be buying stretch anymore.
With stretch denim I have found that I need to size down 1-2 inches in the waist.
I have a pair of lightweight 10.5 oz stretch selvedge from a collaboration of Massdrop and Naked and famous and they are some of the most comfortable jeans I own.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... ch-selvage
Thanks for the tip. I'll wear thick boxers and give them a chance.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:01 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:48 pm
Torrid wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
I got some non stretch 505 non distressed for work use, but they’re a bit baggier in the leg than I like, but since I’m wearing them with 8 inch Red Wings they look ok. I think I’m spoiled by the slimmer better fitting selvedge.
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:I now have a ridiculous amount of jeans but Levi has a great sale on their website on 511 selvedge jeans so I ordered two pair. I combined that with 20% off from joining their mailing list and got each pair for $61 each. They’re the first pair of selvedge stitch jeans I’ve ever bought. I’ve never had slimmer fit jeans but all my jeans are really baggy in the legs so they should fit me well.
I wish I'd seen that, the sale is over now and they're back up to $148. 511 is a nice cut, not skinny but not dad jeans.

Good to know. I had my concerns since it was listed as slim, but I find the pant legs to be too baggy on my 514s for anything other than jeans and if I’m really slumming it with flip flops I don’t like how the non selvedge cut looks rolled up.
I used to avoid anything labeled slim, but my wife convinced me to try them, and I've come to like a slightly slimmer cut. Still won't wear skinny jeans. Ever. I also haven't bought any non selvedge since I got my first pair of selvedge.
Just curious but have you had any luck finding more non stretch selvedge 511s? It doesn’t look like Levi’s makes them anymore.
No, but I haven't actually looked. I found a new (to me) brand that I really like. Bravestar Denim - made in the US of either American (Cone Mills stock) or Japanese selvedge, usually under $100.
I’ll have to check them out. Looks like the slim selvedge non stretch Levi’s have sailed.
I just pre ordered a pair of 14 oz Cone Mills denim they just released today - pre order price is $68. The particular denim is called Golden Handshake, a reference to their original handshake deal to provide denim to Levis for the 501. Anyway, they're well made and I like the fit better than anything else I've tried.

The 505 of today kinda sucks. The old 505’s were basically 501’s with a zipper fly. The newer 505’s have “extra room in the seat & thigh”. For a no-ass old dude like me I don’t need any more room in the seat or thigh.

I’ve had three pairs of 501’s (Made other than USA) have the rear belt loops pull away from the denim material for no apparent reason. It leaves nothing to stitch back onto and the loops that have failed aren’t under any particular stress (unlike the occasional side loop that sees wear against holsters & mag carriers). I’ve saved the last two pair and will be contacting Levi’s.

That’s why I like my selvedge 511s. They are much more trim and much higher quality than my other Levi’s, but they’ve been discontinued for a stretch version. The 505s are ok for work duty since I keep so much stuff in my pockets for work, but there’s no way I would wear them anywhere else. Unfortunately I think it’s time for a different brand. Even the Made & Crafted line is mostly stretch now and even the vintage collection with its old school traditional designs aren’t made in the US anymore. The made in the US version you’re referring to are shrink to fit ones, right?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Torrid wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:48 pm
Torrid wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
[quote="Torrid"]I now have a ridiculous amount of jeans but Levi has a great sale on their website on 511 selvedge jeans so I ordered two pair. I combined that with 20% off from joining their mailing list and got each pair for $61 each. They’re the first pair of selvedge stitch jeans I’ve ever bought. I’ve never had slimmer fit jeans but all my jeans are really baggy in the legs so they should fit me well.

That’s why I like my selvedge 511s. They are much more trim and much higher quality than my other Levi’s, but they’ve been discontinued for a stretch version. The 505s are ok for work duty since I keep so much stuff in my pockets for work, but there’s no way I would wear them anywhere else. Unfortunately I think it’s time for a different brand. Even the Made & Crafted line is mostly stretch now and even the vintage collection with its old school traditional designs aren’t made in the US anymore. The made in the US version you’re referring to are shrink to fit ones, right?[/quote]

I actually ended up with a pair of 501 stretch and didn’t mind them at all. In fact, they are only 1% stretch and 99% cotton. I did have to go down 2” in waist, but they are comfortable.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Regular 501s are disposable, cheaply-made denim. The MIU selvedge and Made and Crafted are better. I'm partial to the LVC versions, but those are expensive. Much better cheaper denim out there in 501-type fits from many sources.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 pm

I’ve kind of given up on really expensive denim. I’ve had good luck with Ralph Lauren (not RRL, which is pricey). Quality and fits are good for me. I actually have a couple of pairs of LL Bean 1912s, and they aren’t bad.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:29 pm

jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:

Are these the shrink to fit 501s or just order your regular size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club

Post by jswing » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:34 am

Captdave wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:29 pm
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:

They're sanforized, not shrink to fit, so basically just order your normal size. I'd refer to their size chart just to make sure you're getting the right size, I can vary from one brand to another.

https://bravestarselvage.com/pages/sizing

Also I should have added the link to the actual jeans:

https://bravestarselvage.com/products/t ... ls-selvage

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:39 am

The last couple pairs I got were Naked and Famous. I’m very happy with them. They periodically go on sale on several of the sites that sell them.
Also, the Massdrop N&F denim I bought is great.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:47 am

jswing wrote:
Captdave wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:29 pm
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:

They're sanforized, not shrink to fit, so basically just order your normal size. I'd refer to their size chart just to make sure you're getting the right size, I can vary from one brand to another.

https://bravestarselvage.com/pages/sizing

Also I should have added the link to the actual jeans:

https://bravestarselvage.com/products/t ... ls-selvage
Thanks

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:43 pm

Just picked up a pair of Bravestar's 14 Oz double black Cone Mills selvedge denim in the True Straight fit.
The waist sits a little higher than most of the denim I have been wearing but I love the fit.
It doest fall off back of the waist. After a cold rinse, probably the most comfortable right off the bat pair of denim I have bought in a while. No uncomfortable break in period required.
Greg

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 am

I haven’t picked up Bravestar yet, but I have heard good things about them. Enjoy the ride.

I just picked up another pair of Pure Blue Japan, (xx-011 to join the xx-012), a few weeks ago and a pair of Railcar Flight Trousers.
I lost 30 pounds and two pant sizes in 2018, so it was time to makes some adjustments.

While not selvedge, Origin Maine is making American stretch denim with domestic cotton. Not my style, but some here may like it.
They are also making boots.

https://originmaine.com/durable-goods/bottom-game/

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Sadly, my very last pair of Studio D’Artisan D1002 are about to be beyond repair (various blowouts). I got one of the very last pairs direct from the factory when they were discontinued few years ago. Been wearing the same fit for 13 years. End of an era and now I’m trying out the Ironheart 666.

- Todd

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:18 pm

Those are some cool jeans.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:56 pm
Sadly, my very last pair of Studio D’Artisan D1002 are about to be beyond repair (various blowouts). I got one of the very last pairs direct from the factory when they were discontinued few years ago. Been wearing the same fit for 13 years. End of an era and now I’m trying out the Ironheart 666.

they are probably blowing out in the penis area :excited: :roll:

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:56 pm

they are probably blowing out in the penis area :excited: :roll:
Actually, that’s entirely true :lol:
- Todd

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Breaking in some 21 oz denim sounds fun.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:15 pm

fastward wrote:Breaking in some 21 oz denim sounds fun.
It’s the 14oz Iron Heart, not their heavier denim. Same weight as the SDA I’m used to. I couldn’t deal with the heavy stuff most of the year here in NJ.
- Todd

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:52 am

Resurrecting this one....

So don't laugh, but the last pair of selvedge jeans I had were some GAP. I actually liked them, but they are too big now. GAP is super low on stock so looking for recommendations. Nice, dark jeans that I can wear to the office (at least at first) in slim trim is what I want.
Last edited by Joeprez on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 am

Joeprez wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:52 am
Resurrecting this one....

So don't laugh, but the last pair of selvedge jeans I had were some GAP. I actually liked them, but the are too big now. GAP is super low on stock so looking for recommendations. Nice, dark jeans that I can wear to the office (at least at first) in slim trim is what I want.
I'd take a look at Ralph Lauren. Many different styles from slim to relaxed straight with a variety of washes. Quality is good. Some selvedge in the standard line, but more in RRL (which come with a much higher price).

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:28 am

Thank you Jeff, will do!

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:50 am

Naked and Famous has an extensive choice.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:50 am
Naked and Famous has an extensive choice.
I've seen those advertised in a couple of places, even Amazon has them. Will also check them out.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:07 pm

Check out their site or Blue Owl. Loads of choices with occasional sales.