New Coffee Set-up

Where did you get that man purse?
zepp21
Name: Alex

New Coffee Set-up

Post by zepp21 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:26 am

With JP's thread about the coffee beans it sparked an interest in upgrading the current Keurig to something else. I'd prefer to keep time to under 10 minutes since I'll most likely use this on weekdays and weekends.

Here's what I currently had in the amazon cart but open to suggestions as well.

Trying to keep the entire set up (grinder, maker, etc) under $100.

I also have a coffee vault to keep the beans fresh as well.

Thoughts? Do I go French press? Do I go to a drip method?

Lastly, what's everyone's go to for daily coffee drinking? Maybe we should start a sticky on all of this?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Re: New Coffee Set-up

Post by marchone » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:46 am

Any drip maker will suffice. A burr grinder is essential for fresh roasted beans.

https://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Encore-C ... rr+grinder
only accurate watches are interesting

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:49 am

Lol- I've been thinking about this too. I have this wonderful coffee and no way to enjoy it since I just have a keurig.

Wayne- why does it take a expensive grinder for beans? What's wrong w with a cheap one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:06 am

BBK357 wrote:Lol- I've been thinking about this too. I have this wonderful coffee and no way to enjoy it since I just have a keurig.

Wayne- why does it take a expensive grinder for beans? What's wrong w with a cheap one?

I've had been ground at Costco, Trader Joes, and the Starbucks downstairs. I've never needed a grinder.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:17 am

blade grinders do not yield a consistent grind. a few pieces might end up just right, but the majority are too large (under extraction=not full flavor potential) or too small (over extraction=overly bitter taste). the cut particles are getting recirculated down to the blade along with uncut particles, so by design there's no way for consistency of size in the finished byproduct. this "recutting" also has the potential to scorch the ground coffee, which adversely effects the taste of the brew.
conversely, with a burr grinder, the beans fall through the teeth only once and are "cut" far more consistently. also, since the beans each spend the same amount of time on the cutters, there's no chance of overheating them.
here's an analogy: you have a fallen tree limb that needs disposed. consider the byproduct of a wood chipper (burr grinder) or a chainsaw spinning at the bottom of a barrel (blade grinder). which will turn out more evenly sized sawdust?

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:22 am

For me it seems like a grinder is the most important part of the process. The one Wayne posted is really good for the price also.

Here is two I suggestion at a decent price that I own:
https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Ele ... ee+grinder

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01- ... ee+grinder

Oh I need to add I modified the Infinity grinder to get a finer grind than the settings it comes stock with. The fine setting was to fine and the rough grind was to coarse for my shitty espresso machine.
Last edited by toxicavenger on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:43 am

BBK357 wrote:Wayne- why does it take a expensive grinder for beans? What's wrong w with a cheap one?
Jason has it.
only accurate watches are interesting

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:44 am

I have had good luck with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8- ... 6PZ9GMP7EY

Most of the above are high speed "conical" grinders. Most of the real slow speed ones are commercial and/or expensive. You get what you pay for sometimes. I just have not pulled the trigger on a very good one.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:48 am

marchone wrote:
BBK357 wrote:Wayne- why does it take a expensive grinder for beans? What's wrong w with a cheap one?
Jason has it.
Jason knows his stuff. :thumbsup:

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:03 am

What is a good drip coffeemaker?

Also what process do you prefer to clean them? White vinegar or store bought cleaner and how often?

Thanks
Regards
Barry

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:08 am

giosdad wrote:What is a good drip coffeemaker?

Also what process do you prefer to clean them? White vinegar or store bought cleaner and how often?

Thanks
I can tell you from experience vinegar will erode the seals on your machine. Also it seemed to leave a residue longer than the store bought cleaners I have used. I have had great results with Brew Rite https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brew-Rite-Cl ... nes/881785

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:14 am

I am very partial to Bunn coffee makers. I am on my second one. No bells and whistles but they make a great cuppa joe.

https://www.amazon.com/Velocity-10-Cup- ... ffee+maker
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:19 am

BBK357 wrote:Lol- I've been thinking about this too. I have this wonderful coffee and no way to enjoy it since I just have a keurig.

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:21 am

I don't have time for all of this stuff. I just go with Nespresso and call it a day

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:28 am

andrema wrote:I don't have time for all of this stuff. I just go with Nespresso and call it a day
+1.

I like the selection of pods that are delivered to my door, from espresso to hot chocolate. :thumbsup:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

andrema

Post by andrema » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 am

JDC222 wrote:
andrema wrote:I don't have time for all of this stuff. I just go with Nespresso and call it a day
+1.

I like the selection of pods that are delivered to my door, from espresso to hot chocolate. :thumbsup:
I sometimes put the foam on my nipples, you?

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:32 am

andrema wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
+1.

I sometimes put the foam on my nipples, you?

....and I thought that I was the only one :shifty:
Winston Churchill.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 am

+1 one for the nespresso and foamy nipples, because: time.

On weekends or breaks in the day, I'll just go to a hip super-snob place and let a professional call the shots: both coffee, and nipples.

Works for me. Everyone should know both a killer bean mechanic and a pro dom in any city they might find themselves in. It's the mark of the truly educated.
:thumbsup:
Last edited by Sidheguitarist on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:10 am

My day-to-day since the last coffee thread has been Blue Bottle beans, ground in a Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder, and brewed in a Moka Pot. It's pretty quick, but I think the thicker, french press style coffee isn't my favorite for daily drink.

I'm looking into drip machines w/ a filter (I think I prefer a more clear coffee, in general), so I'm probably picking up either a Chemex setup (which I've used many times before) or a Technivorm Moccamaster, which seems to get pretty great reviews.

Part of the reason I'm considering the machine, besides the clarity, is that I work at home and generally drink more than one cup of coffee. So having to get up and go through a whole process again for a second or third cup is a bit of a hassle.

I still do have our Nespresso though, and we definitely use it when in a pinch.
:htfu:

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:13 am

You work from home, M@?

How come you don't post more random memes in the stupid shit thread?

:lol:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:29 am

Sidheguitarist wrote:You work from home, M@?

How come you don't post more random memes in the stupid shit thread?

:lol:
Because I'm actually working!

:whistle:
:htfu:

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 am

marchone wrote:Any drip maker will suffice. A burr grinder is essential for fresh roasted beans.

https://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Encore-C ... rr+grinder
Agreed, have this same grinder and love it! I've been using a Bodum French Press and pretty happy with it, but have been debating trying the Sterling as it supposedly does a better job of keeping grounds out of the coffee:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... eePicks-20

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:37 am

Winston Churchill.

andrema

Post by andrema » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:45 am

:salute:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:32 am

matt.wu wrote:... I work at home and generally drink more than one cup of coffee. So having to get up and go through a whole process again for a second or third cup is a bit of a hassle.

I still do have our Nespresso though, and we definitely use it when in a pinch.
i too work at home m@, and that's why a quality grinder and programmable espresso machine is the correct answer.
click grind; tamp; twist; click button; savor shot; bang out puck; twist; and get back to work. repeat as needed throughout the day. nothing to clean up, except your cups and weekly rinsing of the screens.
granted, the grinder and machine setup takes time and effort, but once dialed in, and the tweaking of all variables is understood, it's hard to beat the quick, near perfect---and this is the best part---infinitely repeatable--result. as quick and easy as nespresso or keurig, but imo a far superior end product. and to those who say, "but i don't always want espresso", i say "that's what the boiler is for". either dilute a normal shot into an americano, or draw out enough water for a quick pour over. having on demand boiling water on tap is something i couldn't go back to living without, and that's just a nice side effect.