Re: New Coffee Set-up

Post by mattcantwin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:01 pm

Same old.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:13 pm

jtbenson wrote:i've been working from home exclusively for the last 15 years, so I needed a coffee shop in my own kitchen : )
What you have seems super exuberant, but staying at home for 15 years and not buying coffee out I am sure you have actually saved money with that set up.

It seems very complicated. If I bought one I would have to have a college aged barista run it for me Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

nweash
Name: Nick

New Coffee Set-up

Post by nweash » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:27 pm

I like nespresso because it spin serves the coffee and you get a fuck ton of crema? Whatever it’s called. The froth.

It’s annoying they barcode their pods so you can only use their coffee. Luckily someone made a SS pod with Nespresso’s barcode so I can grind my own coffee and have it served nespresso style.

But i should mention Nespresso’s stormio and intensio coffees are great.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:33 pm

Damn, I just put whatever pod in the Keurig every morning and slightly enjoy it. I feel like a loser.
- Todd

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:53 pm

Chocodove wrote:Damn, I just put whatever pod in the Keurig every morning and slightly enjoy it. I feel like a loser.
We had the same keurig for like 9 years.

It came to the point where I stopped drinking coffee at home. Burnt Starbucks like flavor.

I’m obviously not a pro but even my Bunn and a good brand of coffee makes a huge difference.

Kick it to the corner man, just do it.
Plus all that extra plastic...

DEATH FROM ABOVE

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:06 pm

tiger stripe is a good indication of a good pull.
i roast my own beans, so no excuses.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Seppia wrote:Burnt coffee is usually a great sign that the producer is using shit green beans.

When you roast the beans, for a while the roasting brings out the flavors, past a certain point (around 11-12 mins) you start to lose the most volatile flavors and bring out the bitterness.
From that point on, the more you roast, the more coffee will lose flavors and just retain bitterness.
But this process also covers the defects of the green beans (most common one being mold and a taste of wet wood).

So when you have shit defective beans, just burn them and the defects will go away. Your coffee will taste like charcoal but who cares when 99% of your customers mix it with way too much sugars and various types of other flavors?

This is why the coffee nerds (and all coffee competitions judges) drink very light roast coffee, because you can’t cheat on the quality of the beans.

Now I think some bring it too far (the lighter the roast, the more acidic the coffee), as some new wave coffees taste like lemonade.
I drink a lot of coffee, and I want to appreciate the lighter roasts, but I really don’t like the acidity in coffee.
:htfu:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:09 am

I love this thread.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:30 am

BBK357 wrote: Plus all that extra plastic...

My wife is a real tree hugger and insists on buying the biodegradable ones with no plastic anywhere on the cup. Probably makes the coffee shittier tbh.

Problem is she only drinks decaf and I drink regular like a normal non-insane person. So we’d be fighting over the coffee machine every morning.

I need to think of a better solution. Usually I’d just overpay at the corner deli before work, but I haven’t been to the office in 9 months (thankfully).
- Todd

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:42 am

Seppia wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:59 pm
Burnt coffee is usually a great sign that the producer is using shit green beans.

When you roast the beans, for a while the roasting brings out the flavors, past a certain point (around 11-12 mins) you start to lose the most volatile flavors and bring out the bitterness.
From that point on, the more you roast, the more coffee will lose flavors and just retain bitterness.
But this process also covers the defects of the green beans (most common one being mold and a taste of wet wood).

So when you have shit defective beans, just burn them and the defects will go away. Your coffee will taste like charcoal but who cares when 99% of your customers mix it with way too much sugars and various types of other flavors?

This is why the coffee nerds (and all coffee competitions judges) drink very light roast coffee, because you can’t cheat on the quality of the beans.

Now I think some bring it too far (the lighter the roast, the more acidic the coffee), as some new wave coffees taste like lemonade.
I like to roast my beans to a level of full city or full city +. Go much beyond that and you start getting into the black, oily beans, like french or italian roast, which would be like cooking beef tenderloin well done. I use sight and smell to judge, but the most important thing is sound. Toward the end of roasting, beans go through a couple of crack stages that emit popping noises. 1st crack is a slow, loud popping, usually with a couple of minutes pause before 2nd crack commences, which is more rapid popping. 2nd crack produces more smoke and beans will rapidly darken. I kick in the cooling stage at the first hint of 2nd crack.
No, it's not Tourettes.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:46 am

Chocodove wrote:

My wife is a real tree hugger and insists on buying the biodegradable ones with no plastic anywhere on the cup. Probably makes the coffee shittier tbh.

Problem is she only drinks decaf and I drink regular like a normal non-insane person. So we’d be fighting over the coffee machine every morning.

I need to think of a better solution. Usually I’d just overpay at the corner deli before work, but I haven’t been to the office in 9 months (thankfully).
Our bunn is a little smaller than keurig.
You can make as little as 4 cups at a time (minimum) and it takes a couple minutes. Dump the filter and ground and make another cup.
In under 10 min you both have regular and decaf.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

jtbenson

Post by jtbenson » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:02 am

Seppia wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 pm
jtbenson wrote:tiger stripe is a good indication of a good pull.
i roast my own beans, so no excuses.
If you’ll allow me to be a dick, I’ll point out that the cup is too big for that size coffee
you are absolutely correct Andrea.
all my singles were in the dishwasher at the time.

but, reminds me of a great engineer joke (i probably read here?):

optimist sees a glass half full
pessimist sees a glass half empty
engineer sees a glass twice as big as it needs to be

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:32 am

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:30 am

When I bought the pods I was buying ones with San Francisco or similar name with degradable materials. Average quality.

Working from home and lockdown in general saves us a ton of money. No Starbucks and no restaurants. It’s been big part of getting by on one paycheck, although necessity would have done the same thing.

jtbenson

Post by jtbenson » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:57 am

another great shot in a too-big cup

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:53 am

jtbenson wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:57 am
another great shot in a too-big cup
:drool:
:htfu:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:22 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:30 am

Just buy a microwaveable French press. You can boil the water in the microwave and have a serving of good coffee in very little time.... with zero waste.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-Fre ... 092&sr=8-4

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:56 pm

^^ thanks guys
- Todd

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:21 pm

Seppia wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:54 pm
Or buy an Italian style Moka.
Bialetti is the brand to get.
Costs nothing, is indestructible and makes great coffee
Do they make them in stainless? The one we have (Pantone Universe - not sure who the OEM is) is all aluminum. Coffee tastes fine now that it's seasoned, but it definitely had a metallic tinge early on.

jtbenson

Post by jtbenson » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 pm

aeropress with the fellow filter is another good option in this space.
travel/camp with it.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:45 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:56 am
ImageImageImageImage

Isn’t this basically a setup for an actual coffee shop?

[/quote]

one of my local shops use a few of these.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:05 pm

Whoa! That's super hard core compared to the swill brewers I've always used at work.
The Hapa

jtbenson

Post by jtbenson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Seppia wrote:This is our (small, we’re 8) office setup here in HK

what’s your take on the mini Andrea?
does it live up to the hype?

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Sure beats the hell out of a Kurig

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:03 am

I am still using my old school Saeco machine from about 20 years ago. I have been looking to upgrade but I know the characteristics of this one so I'm not ready to learn a new one.

Funny our new 7-11 in town just installed a Melitta Cafina CT8. I love it. I never thought I would say that about something at a 7-11.

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:13 am

On my second Delonghi espresso & cappuccino machine. First one lasted 6-7 years with a rebuilt boiler and this Eletta has been going strong for close to 3 years. Best $2k I've spent in a long time. Aside from the overpriced pods, the Starbucks Verismo espresso machine on the right makes one bad ass espresso.