New Coffee Set-up

Where did you get that man purse?
HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Re: New Coffee Set-up

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 am

Any thought to offer on hand grinders? I like how its compact and don't mind the work. Image
The Hapa

skunkworks

Post by skunkworks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 am

HapaHapa wrote:Any thought to offer on hand grinders? I like how its compact and don't mind the work. Image
Great for cramping, but unless your into hardcore arm workouts it's not something you'll want to do on a daily basis. Also these specific ones will break eventually. There's a plastic nut securing the central shaft to the ceramic which will eventually strip. Mine just did after maybe 75 uses.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 am

skunkworks wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 am
HapaHapa wrote:Any thought to offer on hand grinders? I like how its compact and don't mind the work. Image
Great for cramping, but unless your into hardcore arm workouts it's not something you'll want to do on a daily basis. Also these specific ones will break eventually. There's a plastic nut securing the central shaft to the ceramic which will eventually strip. Mine just did after maybe 75 uses.
Yep they totally suck. If you can get an older metal one then you would be better off. But they are a lot of work for sure.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:29 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 am
Any thought to offer on hand grinders? I like how its compact and don't mind the work. Image
I had a Hario grinder. Took forever to grind enough. Especially if you want it fine. With a Hario you can mod it to use an electric drill though.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Just got rid of our Keurig and went back to a normal coffee maker. This shits over my head.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:06 pm

dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
I had a Hario grinder. Took forever to grind enough. Especially if you want it fine. With a Hario you can mod it to use an electric drill though.
I'm looking for coarse grind for cold brew. I'll look at electric burr grinders .
The Hapa

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:18 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:06 pm
dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
I'm looking for coarse grind for cold brew. I'll look at electric burr grinders .
I have had the Cappresso burr grinder for the last 5 years and it has been great. https://www.google.com/search?q=capress ... e&ie=UTF-8

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:15 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
For coarse cold brew I've been just using one of those food Ninjas. My wife bought one years ago and really didn't use it much. The only use it gets now is for grinding beans, though it is only good for cold brew. It's perfect for that. The grind isn't fine enough for drip coffee.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
I have had the Cappresso burr grinder for the last 5 years and it has been great. https://www.google.com/search?q=capress ... e&ie=UTF-8
Capresso has been awesome for us as well.
:htfu:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:36 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
The only thing I dislike about it is if you use beans that have a lot of flavor coating on them it will stick to the inside of the hopper.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 am

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Another vote for Capresso. I've been using one for about a year. Doesn't look like much but uses high quality burrs and is simple to use. No burr grinder beats it for the cost........ currently the silver version is $68 on Amazon. Can go fine enough for decent Espresso.

I bought my dad a Baratza Encore, and it is very good for about double the $$ of the Capresso and has a higher quality feel. Holds a lot more beans in the hopper..... but I like the timer on the Capresso. Baratza is manual on/off. Baratza is also about twice the size.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:41 am

Use a Capresso as well. I like the concept of the pour over and sometimes do it (just did it this morning as a matter of fact), but think I like our Cuisinart drip machine more than anything else

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:05 am

VBUS! :clap:
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks for the input. Gonna have to chew on this for a bit. Lots of choices.
What coarseness is right for pour over? I’ll research that.
The Hapa

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:00 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:11 am
Thanks for the input. Gonna have to chew on this for a bit. Lots of choices.
What coarseness is right for pour over? I’ll research that.
Usually around medium - like sea salt sized........ but this vary's depending on how you are filtering. A paper filter sitting directly in a Chemex slows down the drip as most of the sides of the paper are against the glass. I use a metal holder with a screen which I place the paper filter in, so the drip goes faster.... so I use a finer grind than with a filter directly in a Chemex.

Grind size is all about how long you have water exposure. Better grinders yield more even grounds so you have more predictable results.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 am

HapaHapa wrote:
I have one of those and it's a pain in the ass, but I keep it around for my hurricane kit in case we lose power.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:06 pm

jtbenson wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:32 am
matt.wu wrote:... I work at home and generally drink more than one cup of coffee. So having to get up and go through a whole process again for a second or third cup is a bit of a hassle.

I still do have our Nespresso though, and we definitely use it when in a pinch.
i too work at home m@, and that's why a quality grinder and programmable espresso machine is the correct answer.
click grind; tamp; twist; click button; savor shot; bang out puck; twist; and get back to work. repeat as needed throughout the day. nothing to clean up, except your cups and weekly rinsing of the screens.
granted, the grinder and machine setup takes time and effort, but once dialed in, and the tweaking of all variables is understood, it's hard to beat the quick, near perfect---and this is the best part---infinitely repeatable--result. as quick and easy as nespresso or keurig, but imo a far superior end product. and to those who say, "but i don't always want espresso", i say "that's what the boiler is for". either dilute a normal shot into an americano, or draw out enough water for a quick pour over. having on demand boiling water on tap is something i couldn't go back to living without, and that's just a nice side effect.
@jtb

The continued WFH situation has me contemplating espresso setups, and I still remember this post from years ago. What's your setup? Programmable espresso machine sounds right.

Also, FWIW, I still have been using the Technivorm Moccamaster every day, and it's still rock solid. Only considering espresso alternatives out of boredom, I think...

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 pm

I have been running an expresso coffee machine for years...couldn't go back to drip.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:16 pm

bedlam wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 pm
I have been running an expresso coffee machine for years...couldn't go back to drip.
You get negative points for "expresso".

:)

Still using the Breville you posted a couple years ago?

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:04 am

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:16 pm
bedlam wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 pm
You get negative points for "expresso".

:)

Still using the Breville you posted a couple years ago?
I drink em pretty quick...so expresso is not totally wrong :lol:

Yes, still have the Breville. Its not missed a beat

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

New Coffee Set-up

Post by BBK357 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:15 am

A few years ago we got a Bunn speed brew as a gift. I have not been disappointed. Makes a pot in under 5min. Super easy to use.
I recently started buying Black Rifle coffee. I ended up joining their club/mail order service. My favorite so far is Gunship. I have 3 bags in the cupboard to try out though. I really think their coffee is way better than the big brands I was buying from the grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:14 am

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:06 pm
jtbenson wrote:
matt.wu wrote:... I work at home and generally drink more than one cup of coffee. So having to get up and go through a whole process again for a second or third cup is a bit of a hassle.

i too work at home m@, and that's why a quality grinder and programmable espresso machine is the correct answer.
click grind; tamp; twist; click button; savor shot; bang out puck; twist; and get back to work. repeat as needed throughout the day. nothing to clean up, except your cups and weekly rinsing of the screens.
granted, the grinder and machine setup takes time and effort, but once dialed in, and the tweaking of all variables is understood, it's hard to beat the quick, near perfect---and this is the best part---infinitely repeatable--result. as quick and easy as nespresso or keurig, but imo a far superior end product. and to those who say, "but i don't always want espresso", i say "that's what the boiler is for". either dilute a normal shot into an americano, or draw out enough water for a quick pour over. having on demand boiling water on tap is something i couldn't go back to living without, and that's just a nice side effect.
@jtb

The continued WFH situation has me contemplating espresso setups, and I still remember this post from years ago. What's your setup? Programmable espresso machine sounds right.

Also, FWIW, I still have been using the Technivorm Moccamaster every day, and it's still rock solid. Only considering espresso alternatives out of boredom, I think...
hey matt, just seeing this. more info below, but feel free to reach out directly if you want to discuss or have questions.

i have a la spaziale vivaldi ii, which has been bombproof for 15+ years. it's direct plumbed with a softener/filter. it's a bouble boiler, so steam is always ready to go without waiting. it has an accessory timer that allows you to have it turn on/off up to three time windows/day varying all seven days a week. two programmable shot duration time buttons (single/double or ristretto/single, etc.), programmable preinfusion time, variable temperature setting on the fly.
basically once you get it configured for the right shot times, it's grind, tamp, load, press button.
also have a nuova simonelli g60 grinder that has two programmable grind buttons and variable fineness dial adjust.
once both are dialed in for the coffee you're using, you literally press one button to grind into portafilter, tamp, load, press button on espresso machine and voila. steaming milk is still manual ; )
this is a very significant-other-friendly setup. my wife loves it.
and she still rolls her eyes as she watches me use our other extremely manual setup: single dose grinder and spring lever :lol:

i highly recommend chris coffee in new york if you're in the market for a spaz or grinder. fair pricing and excellent service. he personally worked with la spaziale to develop the vivaldi ii for the north american market. the only 'home' machine i've had better espresso from is the la marzocco gs3, but it's 7x the $ (or their new linea mini at 4x$, but I've not used nor tasted espresso made on one of these yet).

if you want the IoT experience, check out the new decent espresso machine. i am more old school, but it's a very compelling value proposition, basically giving you the option of emulating many different types of machines through app based profiling.

here's my spaz/g60:
and here's the londinum/compak r8:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:42 am

jtbenson wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:14 am
matt.wu wrote:
jtbenson wrote:

@jtb

hey matt, just seeing this. more info below, but feel free to reach out directly if you want to discuss or have questions.

i have a la spaziale vivaldi ii, which has been bombproof for 15+ years. it's direct plumbed with a softener/filter. it's a bouble boiler, so steam is always ready to go without waiting. it has an accessory timer that allows you to have it turn on/off up to three time windows/day varying all seven days a week. two programmable shot duration time buttons (single/double or ristretto/single, etc.), programmable preinfusion time, variable temperature setting on the fly.
basically once you get it configured for the right shot times, it's grind, tamp, load, press button.
also have a nuova simonelli g60 grinder that has two programmable grind buttons and variable fineness dial adjust.
once both are dialed in for the coffee you're using, you literally press one button to grind into portafilter, tamp, load, press button on espresso machine and voila. steaming milk is still manual ; )
and she still rolls her eyes as she watches me use our other extremely manual setup: single dose grinder and spring lever :lol:

i highly recommend chris coffee in new york if you're in the market for a spaz or grinder. fair pricing and excellent service. he personally worked with la spaziale to develop the vivaldi ii for the north american market. the only 'home' machine i've had better espresso from is the la marzocco gs3, but it's 7x the $ (or their new linea mini at 4x$, but I've not used nor tasted espresso made on one of these yet).

if you want the IoT experience, check out the new decent espresso machine. i am more old school, but it's a very compelling value proposition, basically giving you the option of emulating many different types of machines through app based profiling.

here's my spaz/g60:
Anddddd... I'm off to the races. I'll start reading up on both the Vivaldi and the Decent. Thanks dude. :salute:

We'll probably be doing some remodeling to the kitchen in the next couple years, so it's a good time to start lobbying for a dedicated coffee area.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:56 am

jtbenson wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
jtbenson wrote:

@jtb

here's my spaz/g60:
ImageImageImageImage

Isn’t this basically a setup for an actual coffee shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 pm

i've been working from home exclusively for the last 15 years, so I needed a coffee shop in my own kitchen : )