Cold weather = FLEECE!

Where did you get that man purse?
Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Re: Cold weather = FLEECE!

Post by Bob1035 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:22 am

I am a huge fan of Patagonia, specifically their R series fleeces (wearing one as I type this). Their quality is excellent, customer service is really good, and pricing is not crazy like some of the more bougie / boutique outdoor brands (I'm looking at you dead bird...)

That being said, the modern synthetic down jackets are shockingly lightweight compared to fleece, and several levels warmer. Check out the Nano Puff while you're shopping.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:41 am

I forgot about the Patagonia Retro-X jacket. I believe it is their highest pile fleece.

- Todd

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:17 am

DoctorC wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:53 pm
hidden by leaves wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:55 pm
BBK357 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:45 pm
hidden by leaves wrote:Shagmaster ftw!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks incredible…
Wasn’t there an issue with these over the past few years, something about the used to be USA made and now they aren’t ?
Not sure. I bought mine in 2019 and it says "made in USA" right on the label... In any case mine is extremely well made, it still looks new. From what I've seen TAD likes to do what they can in the US, which comes at a cost (along with the quality).
Mine says made in USA as well.
The only issue I've had (and I've worn it a lot) is the palm pad is made of fleece and is wearing a hole through it.
Also, the side pockets (though the am sure it is for some ultra cool tactical reason) sit a little high, you can't really hold your hands in the pockets. It is the only thing I have worn that has the irresistible power of making others come up and pet me. :lol:
I picked mine up here new a few years back splitting a pack of two with our resident Canadian bagpiper!
I remember that bagpiper deal! Glad you were able to grab it :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of grabbing a second one at some point, the Yeti colour, and also looking out for the camo ones they apparently have in the works...
Send lawyers, guns and money...

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:55 am

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:44 pm
justsellbrgs wrote:Dri Duck....
also --- ARBORWEAR from Ohio
Nice, thanks for sending me on a google hunt.

How about some links or pics?? Geeze… browns fans…

These?
I have items from both.....DRI DUCK is built well.... Arbor Wear is very solid -- built for Tree Workers -- hence the name. They have a shop in NE Ohio.
Local outdoor shop owner told me he now has VOORMI in stock. He waited 3 years to get the brand as he wanted an offering of US Made gear for his customers ...
https://voormi.com/collections/mens-out ... d-pullover
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:04 am

justsellbrgs wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:55 am

Local outdoor shop owner told me he now has VOORMI in stock. He waited 3 years to get the brand as he wanted an offering of US Made gear for his customers ...

I really like that pullover, can't wait to see it on some hipster in a major city that's never set foot near a dove field :lol:

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:15 am

Bob1035 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:04 am
justsellbrgs wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:55 am

I really like that pullover, can't wait to see it on some hipster in a major city that's never set foot near a dove field :lol:

The store owner just got back from a grouse hunting trip in the U-P...... put the Voormi threads and a few others through his own test run....

https://www.backpackersshop.com/

this one and the similar models are what caught my eye.... well made and very versatile.
https://voormi.com/collections/mens-mid ... 6529144967

5 minutes from my house --- Reece and I run our dogs at the local park every (dry) morning...
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:34 am

Cool deal! I wasn't referring to anyone on DWC for what its worth, just poking fun at, well hipsters ruining everything :mrgreen:

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:52 pm

Seriously? Ben posts about fleece and I’m the first to think of this?
887A7087-72D9-425F-AD63-9000F266B825.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:54 pm

Henryj wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:52 pm
Seriously? Ben posts about fleece and I’m the first to think of this?

Yes
Greg

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:40 pm

Shagmaster :cheers:

Although down in Virginia Beach, this is all we need. This is me last winter.

8871875F-8700-48BF-B7F0-E55C49B47381.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Cold weather = FLEECE!

Post by BBK357 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:13 pm

Henryj wrote:Seriously? Ben posts about fleece and I’m the first to think of this?
Ha! I was waiting for it…
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:15 pm

Chocodove wrote:I forgot about the Patagonia Retro-X jacket. I believe it is their highest pile fleece.

I saw that, def the style I’m going for.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:20 pm

My favorite is less piley than you are looking for but it’s so warm. The Patagonia R2 Techface hoody. Awesome.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens ... 83730.html

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:37 pm

I use the patagucci R1 as a base layer for winter sports. The synchilla I use from fall to spring and even in the summer cool mornings and evenings, it’s a great piece, warm, comfortable and regulates temperature well.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:18 am

Captdave wrote:I use the patagucci R1 as a base layer for winter sports. The synchilla I use from fall to spring and even in the summer cool mornings and evenings, it’s a great piece, warm, comfortable and regulates temperature well.

R1 is one of the greatest base/light midlayers ever created. With a long sleeve capilene, R1 hoody, Nano Puff jacket, and hard shell I’ve been good in very extreme cold as long as you keep moving.

- Todd

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:13 am

R1 is god tier.

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:50 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Captdave wrote:I use the patagucci R1 as a base layer for winter sports. The synchilla I use from fall to spring and even in the summer cool mornings and evenings, it’s a great piece, warm, comfortable and regulates temperature well.

R1 is one of the greatest base/light midlayers ever created. With a long sleeve capilene, R1 hoody, Nano Puff jacket, and hard shell I’ve been good in very extreme cold as long as you keep moving.

Where’s that? Looks like you’re doing some technical climbing.

And yes, I agree. R1 = money.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:48 pm

Zidane wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Cathedral Route on Katahdin (Maine), January 2016. Good times.
- Todd

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:05 pm

I have two of the Capilene Air base layers - the crew and the hoody. Highly recommended.

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:25 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Hell yeah. Dad and I were going to do that one back in June of 2019 but schedules didn’t work out. Ended up doing Mt. Washington instead. That’s on the list though…

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads

Post by JDC222 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:19 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:25 pm
Shagmaster ftw!!!

That's what I'm wearing...in brown. :thumbsup:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:35 am

Zidane wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:25 pm
Chocodove wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Hell yeah. Dad and I were going to do that one back in June of 2019 but schedules didn’t work out. Ended up doing Mt. Washington instead. That’s on the list though…
Nice. MW is nothing to sneeze at, even in June. Been up there many times.

The journey to Katahdin is worth it. Certainly not easy to even just get to the park as it is literally in the middle of nowhere and many many hours of driving from wherever you are coming from, but IMO it's the most beautiful and challenging mountain on the east coast. We had to ski in 19 miles just to get to the base of it. Summer is obviously easier but still a pain in the butt.

My avatar is summit day in 2015. Did not make it all the way up in 2016 due to weather.

If of interest, I wrote a trip report of the 2015 trip here - https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/for ... -15-1-3-15
- Todd

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:23 am

Chocodove wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:25 pm
Chocodove wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Nice. MW is nothing to sneeze at, even in June. Been up there many times.

The journey to Katahdin is worth it. Certainly not easy to even just get to the park as it is literally in the middle of nowhere and many many hours of driving from wherever you are coming from, but IMO it's the most beautiful and challenging mountain on the east coast. We had to ski in 19 miles just to get to the base of it. Summer is obviously easier but still a pain in the butt.

My avatar is summit day in 2015. Did not make it all the way up in 2016 due to weather.

If of interest, I wrote a trip report of the 2015 trip here - https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/for ... -15-1-3-15
That’s cool! I gave Rainer a shot this summer but due to weather didn’t summit. Maybe next year.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:18 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:07 am
toxicavenger wrote:NF is the Fossil (watches) of fleece.
I get it…. But try one of these. It’ll change your mind:

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/the-no ... e_10497320
that wasn't to mean they are bad. they are common place/affordable and a all around good product for everyday use. i also like gerry, eddier bauer and ll bean. if i want to go to the next level i would look at patagonia, marmot, mountain hardware, Arc’teryx, OR, and kuhl. i believe my next one is going to be something from cotopaxi.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:07 am
toxicavenger wrote:NF is the Fossil (watches) of fleece.
I get it…. But try one of these. It’ll change your mind:

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/the-no ... e_10497320
that wasn't to mean they are bad. they are common place/affordable and a all around good product for everyday use. i also like gerry, eddier bauer and ll bean. if i want to go to the next level i would look at patagonia, marmot, mountain hardware, Arc’teryx, OR, and kuhl. i believe my next one is going to be something from cotopaxi.
I actually have a fleece marmot vest that I wear at work and damn is that thing comfy.