Any fisherman out there?

Where did you get that man purse?
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Any fisherman out there?

Post by sierra11b » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:09 pm

Trying to parlay some funds with the recent 6309 I posted in the for sale forum. If it doesn't sell it doesn't sell.. I'm left with another 6309, right?

My 11yo is getting much better at fishing and has graduated from bobbers, so I gifted him a shimano symetre 2000 i've had for 25 yrs on a 6' GL3 G-Loomis I also purchased as a teenager for $280 of lawnmowing and paper route cash.

I grew up on bass boats with my Dad fishing tournaments (placed on a couple), and fished over 200 days of the year between 12-17yo, just before enlisting. I drove that boat better than my old man, and remember putting it on the trailer as he backed up the truck effortlessly in that age bracket. Not a big deal in other parts of the country, but you'd have dozens of heads turning in a pressured CA lake during the summer, as other recreational boaters "finagle" their boats to and from the trailers.

I no longer own a boat myself... Sold a fine 14' westerner with custom decking and a bow trolling motor literally a couple months before his inception. Part of me wishes I hadn't but my son and I have been doing well of the shore with area lakes and a local creek system... We have picnics and enjoy the shade of a tree. It's been good fun.

So now that I gifted him a combo that's treated me well for 25yrs, I visited my local tackle shop this afternoon for two new stellar set-ups. :doh: :lol: Boy, has the technology changed! I spent an embarrassing amount with the intentions of just one rig, but so fun to treat myself to some new equipment. Been overdue.

What's your game?

For the record I love a good walleye fish fry... One of my favorite fresh water fish. Uncle-in-law is a major player on Erie.

Also used to do a lot of Mexico trips as a teen with my late granddad... Landed a 55lb dorado in the Sea of Cortez at 16yo. No pics, unfortunately... not sure where they ended up?

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Re: Any fisherman out there?

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:42 pm

I use to fly fish while backpacking and loved it. Then when I started hitting mid career, I just didn’t have the time anymore. My wife loved fishing as a kid and d always wanted to learn so we bought new gear recently and have fished a few times while RVing, but we really need to put it to use this season.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:24 pm

I don't fish anymore but agree that walleye is serious good eating
The Hapa

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:25 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:42 pm
I use to fly fish while backpacking and loved it. Then when I started hitting mid career, I just didn’t have the time anymore. My wife loved fishing as a kid and d always wanted to learn so we bought new gear recently and have fished a few times while RVing, but we really need to put it to use this season.
I dabbled in fly fishing as a kid. Couldn't keep myself from breaking the wrist, but could place a 3/8 jig into a dixie cup 50ft away with a bait caster.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:26 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:24 pm
I don't fish anymore but agree that walleye is serious good eating
Best fresh water fish by far.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:50 am

Striper fisherman here. I’ve been fishing off the coast of Cape Cod MA and southern New Hampshire pretty much all my life. I really enjoy having the ability to take out my 82 year old dad and 15 year old son. It’s nice to see my dad pass down the lessons he taught me years ago.

What is interesting is the local high school here has a bass fishing team that competes against other area schools. My son’s friend is on the team.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:00 am

I like standing in freezing water in the middle of the night throwing custom wood lures at fish with the brain the size of a pea in hopes of this happening.

Summertime is fluke (summer flounder) time for me.

Just beware those trebles….this was a fun night.

- Todd

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:29 am

I've been fishing Bass tournaments on a local club level for 30+ years, but haven't gotten to fish as much lately due to my work schedule.

Somehow I also got talked into maintaining the club website and have been doing that for awhile now.

In Kentucky we have many beautiful lakes for boating or fishing. I used to have "go fast" powerboats back in my younger days spending weekends slalom skiing, floating, and of course some cold ones. After my daughter was born I sold the last boat. Got into fishing after that as I love being on the water.

So many of my friends had Bass boats there was never a reason to buy another boat, so I've been a co-angler ever since.

Last edited by 59yukon01 on Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:31 am

When I was a kid, I did a lot of catch-and-release fishing in the non-estuary part of the Hudson River. At the end of my street was a three-mile section of river between two dams. It was practically a lake. I can't tell you how many northern pike and smallmouth bass I pulled out of there. Good times!

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:40 am

59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:29 am
So many of my friends had Bass boats there was never a reason to buy another boat, so I've been a co-angler ever since.
Smart!

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:58 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:00 am
I like standing in freezing water in the middle of the night throwing custom wood lures at fish with the brain the size of a pea in hopes of this happening.

That looks terrible! I think everyone who's been fishing long enough has had hook experience or two, but maybe not that bad! Good lord! :excited:

My Granddad used to invite neighbor children to experience fishing, which was great, and I always kept my head on a swivel while assisting in teaching, but two times got trebles in the small of the back of my neck when Iet my guard down re-tying.

Granddad always had Iodine, large toenail clippers, forceps, needle nose pliers with cutters. Good to have the latter for deeper hooks in fish. It's always part of my gear with the kiddo, and just in general.

He was a pro at using the fishing line to apply pressure on the inside bend of the hook while pulling it out with pliers... Both of those experiences didn't hurt a bit. Fortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to practice, and would likely need to youtube if it were to happen.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:31 am

sierra11b wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:00 am

That looks terrible! I think everyone who's been fishing long enough has had hook experience or two, but maybe not that bad! Good lord! :excited:

My Granddad used to invite neighbor children to experience fishing, which was great, and I always kept my head on a swivel while assisting in teaching, but two times got trebles in the small of the back of my neck when Iet my guard down re-tying.

Granddad always had Iodine, large toenail clippers, forceps, needle nose pliers with cutters. Good to have the latter for deeper hooks in fish. It's always part of my gear with the kiddo, and just in general.

He was a pro at using the fishing line to apply pressure on the inside bend of the hook while pulling it out with pliers... Both of those experiences didn't hurt a bit. Fortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to practice, and would likely need to youtube if it were to happen.
I carry a small pair of bolt cutters for specifically this purpose. If I didn’t have them that night I would have been screwed. Luckily I was with a buddy and he was able to kneel on what was about a 20# bass as I cut the hooks. Normally I crush my barbs to make unhooking fish (or me) easier but I hadn’t on this particular lure. Stupid, wasn’t paying attention when I went down to grab the fish, it rolled, and bam back treble in my fingers. One year later the tips of both those fingers are still numb. Be careful!
- Todd

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:02 pm

Took the kiddo out again today and he got into two 2# bass but they shook the hook upon jumping. Had to talk him down a bit, remind him he's brand new to lure fishing (outside of worm and bobber), the most important thing is he has the "feel" now, and that I am very proud of him.

Saw him getting a bit discouraged and disregard his retrieve/pattern after my fourth bass, and so we ended the day with bobbers again to build his confidence and get him above me in overall fish count. :mrgreen:

The new G-loomis is great as is the 2500 Vanford with 8lb sniper fluorocarbon for weightless worms. First time using this line and i'm really liking it so far. Have another Shimano in the mail due wednesday (2500 Stradic FM) for my old GL3 loomis. He really likes the new setup with my old tried and true 2000 Shimano Symetre, but the old Quantum touring edition rod (the well built ones circa '97) is med-heavy and a bit cumbersome for his hands. What I plan to do is upgrade myself with another rig in the next month, and switch him to my old GL3 loomis, which is a great sensitive overall outfit.

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:56 pm

sierra11b wrote:Took the kiddo out again today and he got into two 2# bass but they shook the hook upon jumping. Had to talk him down a bit, remind him he's brand new to lure fishing (outside of worm and bobber), the most important thing is he has the "feel" now, and that I am very proud of him.

Saw him getting a bit discouraged and disregard his retrieve/pattern after my fourth bass, and so we ended the day with bobbers again to build his confidence and get him above me in overall fish count. :mrgreen:

The new G-loomis is great as is the 2500 Vanford with 8lb sniper fluorocarbon for weightless worms. First time using this line and i'm really liking it so far. Have another Shimano in the mail due wednesday (2500 Stradic FM) for my old GL3 loomis. He really likes the new setup with my old tried and true 2000 Shimano Symetre, but the old Quantum touring edition rod (the well built ones circa '97) is med-heavy and a bit cumbersome for his hands. What I plan to do is upgrade myself with another rig in the next month, and switch him to my old GL3 loomis, which is a great sensitive overall outfit.
You were an awesome dad today. Kids egos don’t need to be coddled, but they do need to be looked after.
www.simplynoble.net

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 pm

I am about 43 seconds, house to boat launch. I fish year’round, Coho, Chinook mostly. Spot prawns (you call them shrimp) are plentiful, as are Dungeness Crab.

Here’s just a few pics…

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:30 pm

Most of these guys are amateur fishermen, but master baiters.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:36 am

JDC222 wrote:I am about 43 seconds, house to boat launch. I fish year’round, Coho, Chinook mostly. Spot prawns (you call them shrimp) are plentiful, as are Dungeness Crab.

Here’s just a few pics…

Wow, talk about living the dream! How long have you lived there?
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:10 am

JDC222 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 pm
I am about 43 seconds, house to boat launch. I fish year’round, Coho, Chinook mostly. Spot prawns (you call them shrimp) are plentiful, as are Dungeness Crab.
I bought the house on Bowen Island in 2019, when CoVid scared everybody away...19 min ferry from West Vancouver, runs every hour.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 am

JDC222 wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
I bought the house on Bowen Island in 2019, when CoVid scared everybody away...19 min ferry from West Vancouver, runs every hour.
Wow. That’s an incredibly beautiful area. Vancouver is one of my favorite places.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 am

JDC222 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:10 am
JDC222 wrote:
Definitely living the dream. :clap: :clap: :clap:
www.simplynoble.net

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:10 pm

JDC222 wrote:

Here’s just a few pics…

Great rig. But I suspected no less than from a man who's paid his dues and currently living in God's country, with implacable taste.. Bravo, sir!

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:44 pm

sierra11b wrote:
JDC222 wrote:

Here’s just a few pics…

Great rig. But I suspected no less than from a man who's paid his dues and currently living in God's country, with implacable taste.. Bravo, sir!
Thanks Brother! Any of you are always welcome, hit me up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:32 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 am
JDC222 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:10 am
JDC222 wrote:
Definitely living the dream. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Awesome Dave! Did you guys sell the house in town and move completely out of the city?

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:34 pm

I do not fish as much as I use to. I did a bunch of it in Maryland, Louisiana and Georgia. I typically have used lures for my type of fishing. Not much of a fly fisherman I am afraid.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:31 am

fisherman.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.