Retaining ring for a Benrus Ultra Deep 6088 - help?

A place to discuss vintage watches.
dnm82

Retaining ring for a Benrus Ultra Deep 6088 - help?

Post by dnm82 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:10 pm

Hi all,

I am starting a new thread here as this topic is different from my prior post about this same troublesome watch. Would love your input!!

So, I have a Benrus Ultra Deep 6088 that has a crystal-related problem. With the correct crystal in place the retaining ring won’t screw down far enough to enable to the bezel to be pressed home and sit flush. So, I am thinking the wrong retaining ring is fitted to this watch. Pictures are below showing the correct crystal with the existing retaining ring in place. Now, the million dollar question - if I am correct that it has the wrong retaining ring, does anyone know where I can source the right one?

Thanks,
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Re: Retaining ring for a Benrus Ultra Deep 6088 - help?

Post by River Rat » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:52 pm

Did both crystals match ? Parts are harder to get. Maybe buy a beater watch for parts. Since Benrus are a much-wanted watch see about an odd brand that used the same case that a beater for repair for a cheaper price for a parts watch. I have done that before. If you're a member of the MWR forum it's military watch collecting but some know their stuff on vintage divers and might be able to point you in the right direction. Also, the Omega forum some knowledgeable watchmakers there.

dnm82

Re: Retaining ring for a Benrus Ultra Deep 6088 - help?

Post by dnm82 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:46 pm

River Rat wrote:Did both crystals match ? Parts are harder to get. Maybe buy a beater watch for parts. Since Benrus are a much-wanted watch see about an odd brand that used the same case that a beater for repair for a cheaper price for a parts watch. I have done that before. If you're a member of the MWR forum it's military watch collecting but some know their stuff on vintage divers and might be able to point you in the right direction. Also, the Omega forum some knowledgeable watchmakers there.
The crystals didn’t match. The one it came with was totally wrong and glued on! I don’t know the case model # or manufacturer, so I am not presently able to buy a beater (which I’d happily do). Maybe someone here knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk