Vintage Tudor Rose Info Please…Updated

A place to discuss vintage watches.
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:44 pm

Hey fellas, any vintage Tudor experts here?

I am seeking information on a recent find (see pics). The Tudor has been buried in a jewelry box for many decades. I gave it a gentle wind and amazingly, it has kept pretty good time so far!

Obviously the bracelet is a stretchy aftermarket…drilled lugs, which surprised me. The acrylic crystal is in excellent condition, good hands show age. It looks to be a 34mm ?

Thank you in advance for any and all info.

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:38 pm

So, it’s a 1953 Tudor Small Rose, with a German Silver Plate FHF 30, 17 jewel movement. The watch was made for the U.K. market.

Figured it out. Image

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Re: Vintage Tudor Rose Info Please…Updated

Post by JBZ » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:27 am

That's cool Dave - glad you figured it out. I wonder, is the crown original to the watch? A lot of the vintage Tudors I see have Rolex signed crowns, but this one may be too old for that, or just an exception.

At any rate, it would be a fun little watch to wear. The movements in vintage Tudor and Rolex seem to stay pretty accurate as long as they're serviced regularly. The trick may be finding someone who has the parts/knowledge to handle this one, given its age.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:03 am

JBZ wrote:That's cool Dave - glad you figured it out. I wonder, is the crown original to the watch? A lot of the vintage Tudors I see have Rolex signed crowns, but this one may be too old for that, or just an exception.

At any rate, it would be a fun little watch to wear. The movements in vintage Tudor and Rolex seem to stay pretty accurate as long as they're serviced regularly. The trick may be finding someone who has the parts/knowledge to handle this one, given its age.
I took it in to the watchmakers and one of their clients came in, who happened to be a Tudor collector. He is the one who provided the info on the date, movement etc.

I bought the watch for $10 and the collector bought it for $1650! Good garage sale score!!
Winston Churchill.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:51 am

JDC222 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:03 am
JBZ wrote:That's cool Dave - glad you figured it out. I wonder, is the crown original to the watch? A lot of the vintage Tudors I see have Rolex signed crowns, but this one may be too old for that, or just an exception.

I took it in to the watchmakers and one of their clients came in, who happened to be a Tudor collector. He is the one who provided the info on the date, movement etc.

I bought the watch for $10 and the collector bought it for $1650! Good garage sale score!!
Very nice! Always good to have a little extra money around the holidays. Or anytime, really, I suppose.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:00 am

Dave great homework getting info on your vintage Tudor nice watch. I would get it service and wear it if I was you.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:22 am

River Rat wrote:Dave great homework getting info on your vintage Tudor nice watch. I would get it service and wear it if I was you.
It is very cool but at 34mm (large for the era), I just wouldn’t wear it.
Winston Churchill.

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:51 am

That was an amazing find! I can understand you parting with it, especially for what you paid for it.
Better to have something like that with someone who would appreciate and enjoy it.
Greg