Vintage Corum Admiral's Cup

A place to discuss vintage watches.
Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:03 pm

I have always been a fan of Corum watches (well, maybe with the exception of the Bubble watches of the early 2000s). When the Movado Group (then North American Watch) ceased being the official U.S. distributor around 2000, they sold some exceptional discontinued models for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately, by the time I was hired, they were mostly gone.

Anyway, other than owning a modern Romulus, I never got around to obtaining another Corum. I stayed on the hunt for an original first edition of arguably Corum's most iconic model - the Admiral's Cup. Some vintage, and all modern editions incorporate a nautical flag motive on the dial. Over the years, there have literally been hundreds of versions.

However, the first model from 1960 is completely different. The Roman numeral dial is housed in a large square stainless case with an engraving of a sail boat and the words "Admiral's Cup on the case back. I'm proud to have received this one today:

Some brand history, if interested: https://press.corum-watches.com/history/

Thanks for reading my post.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

smellody
Name: Christopher

Re: Vintage Corum Admiral's Cup

Post by smellody » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:59 pm

Really nice. Great pick up!

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:08 pm

Very cool.

One of My first expensive watches I bought. Got it right after my honeymoon. Corum Admirals cup. I saw the add in a sailing magazine while flying back from Siesta Key. Super cool but way overpriced watch. It was before I knew about forums or took pics of my watches, almost 14 years ago.

I can’t find a picture of it but it was sort of like this but older style.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak: