7548... Doctored?

Discussion of Seiko watches
DacMan
Name: Weston

7548... Doctored?

Post by DacMan » Sun May 02, 2021 6:44 am

Hello,

New to the forum but not to Seiko dive watches. I’ve had a Pepsi 7548 since I was in high school and love it. As a birthday gift, my wife purchased another 7548 in black and paired it with a uncle seiko bracelet.

I’m excited, as I have long wanted a black 7548 and value the quartz movement to avoid adjusting the time when I don’t wear it for a few days.

The watch looks nice but appears to have been polished. The bezel looks amazing with only a few scratches. The face is immaculate and the loom still glows (something my old Pepsi lost long ago). The watch sports and authentic seiko strap that has hardened and feels original.

The face seems too good to be original, the bezel is nearly perfect (perhaps it’s new and someone put a few scratches in it to sell the “original” look), the bezel is also very hard to turn, the crystal is perfect, finally, the chapter ring is way off and shows what looks like and attempt at mechanical cleaning.

I’ve included pictures below, how do I fix the chapter ring, do you think the watch is original or doctored?

Thanks!

DacMan

Re: 7548... Doctored?

Post by DacMan » Sun May 02, 2021 6:47 am

Photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DacMan

Post by DacMan » Sun May 02, 2021 7:03 am

More photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 am

DacMan wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:44 am
The face seems too good to be original, the bezel is nearly perfect (perhaps it’s new and someone put a few scratches in it to sell the “original” look), the bezel is also very hard to turn, the crystal is perfect, finally, the chapter ring is way off and shows what looks like and attempt at mechanical cleaning.
Welcome. From those pics, it’s difficult to say whether the dial and bezel insert are genuine. This dial is supposed to be different from your Pepsi (effectively the same as a 6309), and there are many many good aftermarket dials, bezels, etc.

Your dial appears to have correct font and a beveled date window, so it may be as simple as a misaligned chapter ring. This guy posts pics of a good example:
https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettlin ... june-1982/

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Sun May 02, 2021 9:08 am

It does have the characteristics of the genuine thing, but the hands and dial markers are surprisingly white. Hard to say.

Dlev
Name: David

Post by Dlev » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:58 pm

DacMan wrote:Hello,

New to the forum but not to Seiko dive watches. I’ve had a Pepsi 7548 since I was in high school and love it. As a birthday gift, my wife purchased another 7548 in black and paired it with a uncle seiko bracelet.

I’m excited, as I have long wanted a black 7548 and value the quartz movement to avoid adjusting the time when I don’t wear it for a few days.

The watch looks nice but appears to have been polished. The bezel looks amazing with only a few scratches. The face is immaculate and the loom still glows (something my old Pepsi lost long ago). The watch sports and authentic seiko strap that has hardened and feels original.

I’ve included pictures below, how do I fix the chapter ring, do you think the watch is original or doctored?

Thanks!
Hi, just new to this site. Been hanging out on another Seiko site that do all variants.

I’m collecting and restoring 7548 divers (let me clarify, I trawl the globe for rare spares and I’m fortunate to have an old school Seiko watchmaker in Brisbane, Australia doing the magic)

What you have there is just a good clean original example. No one seems to be doing fake dials which is good, Aftermarket hands are available or some SKX hands fit.

You know there are about 13 variants, what model is yours yours? I have about 9 at this point (3 are work in progress).

Please keep an eye on your battery and replace straight away with the best you can buy, cheap leakers are the biggest killers of 7548’s. Silver Oxide are the best

Anyway, enjoy