What Makes A Pogue Mesmerizing?

Discussion of Seiko watches
Blaine
Name: Blaine

Post by Blaine » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:14 pm

I started a love affair with these years ago. Mind you, these were selling for under $200.00 then. Fast forward, there seems to be a real draw and love affair with the Pogues. Whether it was an Astronaut, a professional race car driver or Australian origin, these Pogues have made a name for themselves…pun intended.

Interesting, these watches have been frank’n, aftermarketized (I know this is not a word, but I think you get my point) to capture the original. Finding good “originals” is not as easy these days.

Price point; well like everything, the 6139-600x have jumped in price. But for the price point, still a fun watch to have. Ranges for “parts” watches I have seen, is from $250-$400.00. Well used, running and no service history seem to starting around $500-$600.00 depending on model/dial variant. Serviced $600 + depending on the model/dial variant. I saw a blue variant in fair condition sell for over a $1,000.00. Silver dial Pogues seem to be the highest priced, unless you have a “True Pogue” Resist Dial and circa 1973 and two (2) piece sweep hand or a “proof” dial Pogue. All commanding higher prices. Prices are driven by the desire to own one, especially original to themselves. Like any watch, NOS parts for repair, with the integrity of the watch remaining, versus all NOS or partial OEM parts to create one is wildly different. Just look at the crazy prices on a popular auction sight and you will see the real swing that comes with this model. The key “Original”. That’s worth the investment. Vetting them, with known sellers is key.

My draw to the 6130-600x is it’s simplicity, yet interesting crown interaction function, of setting the day/date. The vertical clutch allows the sweep hand to operated continuously. The mesmerizing part of my story behind this watch. Really, to aid in the operation, almost a must for how the vertical clutch works with these.

The name(s). It’s all in the name, Pogue from Colonel Pogue the astronaut, to break protocol and wear the Seiko Gold Dial variant 6139-6005 into space.

Cevert or blue dial variant worn by Francois Cevert, the famous French Formula One driver who sported a Blue Dial 6139.

Then there is Austrian variant “Aussie”.
Has the black Bezel, “R” dial, Roman Date Wheel, Resist Dial and Stelux President Bracelet and bares the 6139-6002 number.

Seems most Seiko’s come with a names; The Tuna, Arnie, Turtle, Bruce Lee etc., which adds to the mystique of the brand.

Back to the Pogue. I find each color variant to change the over look, almost like your wearing a completely different watch. Same case, same hands, but just so unique in their own way. This was my draw years ago.

Wabi, why I love patina on hands and dial. Character marks on the case of a life well lived. By definition; Wabi - “a worn and regal richness". This describes it perfectly. Every mark, the DNA of years gone by. If only watches could talk.

In conclusion: The 6139-600x is simple, complex, stylistic (love the dimple crowns) versatile marvel…may marvel is too strong, let’s go with “cool vibe” watchImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Blaine on Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Re: What Makes A Pogue Mesmerizing?

Post by Henryj » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:10 pm

They are great watches.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:55 pm

I had fun writing this. Really first time and a little distraction from a personal issue I have been dealing with for close to a year. Yes, they are for sale, but this was not a self serving write up as someone indicated to me. Sad really. The only reason I was selling was an opportunity to buy back a watch I had sold and regretted. This was stated in my post. I have been an active member since 2010. I have so enjoyed all the comradely along the way. I had several questions asked about the Pogues as it’s a bit complicated navigating the “right”’ones. Anyway…there you have it. Moderators…delete this if self serving.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:07 pm

Blaine wrote:I had fun writing this. Really first time and a little distraction from a personal issue I have been dealing with for close to a year. Yes, they are for sale, but this was not a self serving write up as someone indicated to me. Sad really. The only reason I was selling was an opportunity to buy back a watch I had sold and regretted. This was stated in my post. I have been an active member since 2010. I have so enjoyed all the comradely along the way. I had several questions asked about the Pogues as it’s a bit complicated navigating the “right”’ones. Anyway…there you have it. Moderators…delete this if self serving.

I think your post was informative and well worded.

It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:20 pm

Blaine wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:55 pm
I had fun writing this. Really first time and a little distraction from a personal issue I have been dealing with for close to a year. Yes, they are for sale, but this was not a self serving write up as someone indicated to me. Sad really. The only reason I was selling was an opportunity to buy back a watch I had sold and regretted. This was stated in my post. I have been an active member since 2010. I have so enjoyed all the comradely along the way. I had several questions asked about the Pogues as it’s a bit complicated navigating the “right”’ones. Anyway…there you have it. Moderators…delete this if self serving.

Full disclosure - I’m the someone referred to above. I was in a cranky mood, and it was wrong of me to suggest anything. My apologies to Blaine.It’s a well written love letter to a fascinating family of Seikos.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:40 pm

I guess we all get cranky as time passes. on. I appreciate you clearing the air…not common these days. All good and life marches on.

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 pm

Wario406 wrote:
Blaine wrote:I had fun writing this. Really first time and a little distraction from a personal issue I have been dealing with for close to a year. Yes, they are for sale, but this was not a self serving write up as someone indicated to me. Sad really. The only reason I was selling was an opportunity to buy back a watch I had sold and regretted. This was stated in my post. I have been an active member since 2010. I have so enjoyed all the comradely along the way. I had several questions asked about the Pogues as it’s a bit complicated navigating the “right”’ones. Anyway…there you have it. Moderators…delete this if self serving.

I think your post was informative and well worded.

Thanks Mike

Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Post by Bob1035 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:09 pm

It took me a while to “get it” with these, but once I found the right one, it’s become one of my favourite watches no doubt!

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:39 pm

To say i'm a bit of a space buff overall and the pogue is an understatement...

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:22 am

Bob1035 wrote:It took me a while to “get it” with these, but once I found the right one, it’s become one of my favourite watches no doubt!
Rob your Cevert is really a nice one. Enjoy!

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:26 am

sierra11b wrote:To say i'm a bit of a space buff overall and the pogue is an understatement...

Great collection Eric! I alway had a spot for rocketry/space exploration. Your Pogue is really a nice edition to the collection. Enjoy!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:50 am

I’ve got a pretty nice one that I should wear more often.

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:17 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I’ve got a pretty nice one that I should wear more often.

That is really a great example with the resist dial! Enjoy!!!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:47 pm

Blaine wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:I’ve got a pretty nice one that I should wear more often.

That is really a great example with the resist dial! Enjoy!!!

I didn’t even know that was a thing. I’ll have to do some research.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins