Help me identify this SKX009 strap

Discussion of Seiko watches
shanesonny20
Name: Shane

Help me identify this SKX009 strap

Post by shanesonny20 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:54 pm

Hi guys im new to the forum. Also a new seiko watch enthusiast and still learning about the many seikos out there.

Just bought an old Seiko SKX009k from someone. Serial number indicates its either a 1999 or 2009, but the seller told me he bought it in 2007 so theres a chance its a 1999. I have not received the watch so cant open the case back to know for sure.

He said he bought it as is and i trust him as he worked in japan for 37 years.

The thing is it comes with this peculiar strap that i have never seen or never found even on the internet. Its a diver rubber strap with a dolphin/killer whale logo instead of the "tsunami" logo.

Can anyone identify this strap? or identify an SKX009 thth came with this strap?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shanesonny20 on Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Re: Help me identify this SKX009 strap

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:50 am

Your pics aren’t showing up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shanesonny20

Post by shanesonny20 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:32 pm

Thanks for telling me. Ill try and fix it

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:44 pm

tattoo chef wrote:Your pics aren’t showing up

I see them on Tapatalk. I don’t have an answer to his question, but I see the photos.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:49 pm

I see the pics now - looks like a shark hunter strap. Dibs.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

shanesonny20

Post by shanesonny20 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:31 am

Wario406 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:49 pm
I see the pics now - looks like a shark hunter strap. Dibs.
Is that wht its called? Shark hunter? Could u gimme a link to it on google images or something? I cant find it online at all.

Unfortunately im not selling it mate. Thanks for the interest though

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:01 am

I’m not sure. I originally thought it could be an Orient rubber strap, but their logo is a dolphin, not a shark.

It definitely isn’t a Seiko strap, and I don’t think it is an old Doxa strap (if that is what you meant by “shark hunter”). Dr. Millar has a good blog about historic Doxa straps and I didn’t see anything like this.

Does the buckle have any engraving?

There are dozens of strap manufacturers today. CrafterBlue even makes some fitted options for the SKX case that look pretty nice.

shanesonny20

Post by shanesonny20 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:56 am

Heres the best part. It is an original seiko strap. Check out the pic below.

The guy i bought it from mentioned he bought it as is in japan, however i just came to know that its not a J model. It doesnt say "WP japan" behind on the caseback and "made in japan" on the dial. So its either a singapore or malaysia model.

So this K model (malaysia/singapore) ended up in Japan and he bought it in japan in 2007. Hard to wrap my head around that. He is a watch collector but not a seiko enthusiast. So thats all the information i got from him.

Im still yet to receive the watch so ive not open the caseback to see the movement, then ill know for sure the year of manufacture. But even then, the strap is still unseen on any old or new SKX ive search online.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:40 am

shanesonny20 wrote:Heres the best part. It is an original seiko strap. Check out the pic below.

The guy i bought it from mentioned he bought it as is in japan, however i just came to know that its not a J model. It doesnt say "WP japan" behind on the caseback and "made in japan" on the dial. So its either a singapore or malaysia model.

So this K model (malaysia/singapore) ended up in Japan and he bought it in japan in 2007. Hard to wrap my head around that. He is a watch collector but not a seiko enthusiast. So thats all the information i got from him.

Im still yet to receive the watch so ive not open the caseback to see the movement, then ill know for sure the year of manufacture. But even then, the strap is still unseen on any old or new SKX ive search online.
Always the possibility he or someone else just put a seiko buckle on an aftermarket strap. I would say it could be a strap from a limited run or it was made to be a Japan market exclusive, but then you should be able to find some info online about it.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:41 am

Looks more like a Orca/Killer Whale logo than a shark or dolphin, but I don't know if Citizens would make that style of strap.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:44 am

Looks like a n aftermarket knock off strap.

mcnulty
Name: McNulty

Post by mcnulty » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:41 am

It seems that is an aftermarket version of the original GL831 from Seiko, which was the rubber strap for the 6309 diver.

You will be able to find better quality versions.