Huge thank you to Terry!

Toilet-tested and good to go!

Moderator: toxicavenger

Torrid
Name: Heath

Huge thank you to Terry!

Post by Torrid » Mon May 23, 2016 8:01 pm

Man this is huge, such a generous gift. It really means the world to me. Absolutely love the straps too, I'll get to those in a minute.

First of all the Scurfa Diver One Stainless. Paul, you've got quite the watch here. This is one well made chunk of metal. The way the domed crystal plays alongside the glossy ceramic bezel insert is beautiful. I've considered the silicon strap version with the larger case but after wearing this 40mm version I think the size is perfect for my wrist. It's nice to see an affordable quartz diver made with premium materials.

The packaging is very unique too and the insides are well padded. I could see using the case to transport watches and straps while traveling.

I walked back inside while writing this review and was greeted by extremely nuclear lume while topping off my tea. Sweet!

It's a bit thick at 16mm but wears very well on a NATO which is my preferred way. That said, the bracelet is no slouch. It is chunky and solid. It puts me very much in mind of the bracelet Hamilton uses for the Khaki field, though this is a traditional oyster style. The clasp design and folding section are a very similar design and uses split pins also like the Hamilton. If you've handled one you'll understand what I mean looking at the pictures. Very well executed. It was even sized perfectly for my wrist directly from Terry.

Now onto the ToxicNATOs. I know most around here have them now and I won't be telling you anything you don't know, but what a well executed strap. The hardware is top notch. The strap material has a tighter smoother feeling stitch than any others I've owned. Most feel itchy when sweating to me and these don't at all.

The shape and feel of the keepers and buckle are much higher end feeling than any other NATO I've tried. It reminds me of the strength of ZULU rings but with a much classier and smoother design. I love the small details here with the angles to the keepers and the flare to the end of the buckle.

One of the nicest touches that most either "over weld" or just don't bother to heat weld at all is the holes in the strap. These are done in such a clean manner that I've never seen before. Most welded holes look like a larger melted ring that add an odd stiffness to the strap. Not here. Just enough for strength without compromising the feel of the strap. Don't mind my odd scar marks on my palm from my surgery. I think I might be able to get away with saying I fought off a shark.

I'm just loving this combo. It's hard to capture but the bezel insert shines so much at certain angles that it almost matches the grey of the strap. I'm a sucker for grey straps in general and this one is the perfect shade of grey.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Re: Huge thank you to Terry!

Post by andrema » Mon May 23, 2016 8:18 pm

F-ing F-antastic!

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Mon May 23, 2016 9:48 pm

Sweet! Love it on grey.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Mon May 23, 2016 9:51 pm

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon May 23, 2016 10:13 pm

Nice Heath and great pics. Enjoy the watch bro!

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Terry is da man!! Well, most of the time anyways... ;)
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Tue May 24, 2016 12:22 am

That watch fits you very well! I am sure you'll enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. :cheers:
- Mart -

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:57 am

More DWC awesomeness!

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Tue May 24, 2016 6:21 am

I'll grab the water hose, because we have a fire! Looks great.

AntonioPD
Name: Tony

Post by AntonioPD » Tue May 24, 2016 6:31 am

Outstanding. Terry FTW - again! :thumbsup:
Resistance is the indicator of progress.
- Clint Bruce USN (Retired)

Omega PO 8500 45.5, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard A-05, Karlskrona Midnattssol Blue Date, Seiko Save the Ocean Turtle, G-Shock Solar Atomic and GA-100, Movado ESQ

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue May 24, 2016 7:11 am

JDC222 wrote:Terry is da man!! Well, most of the time anyways... ;)
Hey I can't always be the aggressor!!! :shrug:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Tue May 24, 2016 5:34 pm

Heath, that looks awesome man and congrats! I have never been a "strap" guy but Terry converted me. I haven't worn a watch on a bracelet in probably 3 months.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Tue May 24, 2016 6:26 pm

BSears wrote:Terry converted me.
terry's been telling that story a lot lately. :bootyshake:

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Tue May 24, 2016 8:53 pm

BSears wrote:Heath, that looks awesome man and congrats! I have never been a "strap" guy but Terry converted me. I haven't worn a watch on a bracelet in probably 3 months.
I've definitely been a strap guy for awhile now and before that was strictly bracelet only towards the beginning of the watch habit. I actually wore the Scurfa on the bracelet today to try it out. It's excellent but due to the chunkiness it does add a bit of heft to the watch.

I ended up switching back to the grey ToxicNATO tonight. I'll definitely use the bracelet when I'm trying to dress it up a bit, but it goes so well on a NATO and I'm usually pretty casual that it will spend most of its time on NATOs. I'll definitely pick up some more colors down the road, plus I like the hardware so much I'll get some in 22mm as well. I'll wear anything on a NATO that will fit it properly for the most part.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Congrats Heath :cheers:

Cheers
Shannon
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers: