Downside To a Micro Watch Company

Discussion of microbrand watches
namor
Name: Seth

Downside To a Micro Watch Company

Post by namor » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:35 pm

I own a micro divers watch from a company that is popular here on DWC. The watch is well made, and offers a good bang for the buck.

I reached out to the company asking to purchase a bezel insert. (I have a silver insert on my watch, and want to put a black one on instead). No dice. Their response was “we only have spares like for like as we hold limited quantities”. I’m not entirely sure whether that means I have to give them mine to get one back ( which I’d do), or that a silver bezel watch owner can only buy another silver insert. Either way it’s disappointing, and it’s a reply I’ve never gotten from a non-micro sized company.

Economics aside, it highlights the reality of buying a micro: parts and support in the future may be “limited”.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

jtbenson
Name: jason

Re: Downside To a Micro Watch Company

Post by jtbenson » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:46 pm

the like for like reply is quite common in my experience, and not with just the smaller micro brands.
i agree seth, that even though the response is somewhat to be expected, it is nonetheless disappointing, particularly for those of us who like to "mod" or have alternatives to the model originally purchased.
that said, try sourcing a non-like-for-like oem part from rolex for one of their models, and you'll likely get a similar response, with really no justification from their side, given their ability to mfg to demand in house at will.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:55 pm

Funny because I had a yellow dial watch with black bezel and wanted the silver... I wrote to them and they answered the same thing. So I posted it and traded it...

I wrote to another Micro company about a bezel insert for a different watch and they told me they could repair the watch if under warranty... I asked to just get me a bezel. They wouldn't, they said they did not have extra... :shock:

Lesson learned. :shrug: Getting off micros and Chinese clones... :o still have a couple but will move them. :rolleyes:

At least with Seiko I can get original as well as aftermarket... :grin:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm

Micro. Hehehe.
Had a coworker (many years ago) who referred to our boss as “micro”. As in micromanager.
Sorry for the tangent. It’s an amusement that has lived on in memory.
The Hapa

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:42 pm

I asked for a different dial for a micro brand watch...they sent it for free

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:49 pm

andrema wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:42 pm
Not all the micro brands are the same. I used to get dials, inserts and even hands for free from Steinhart for example. All I had to do was to ask. :grin:

I don't know if they still do it now but that was a great experience and their watches are also great. :thumbsup:

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:51 pm

CarloDWC wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:49 pm
andrema wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:42 pm
Not all the micro brands are the same. I used to get dials, inserts and even hands for free from Steinhart for example. All I had to do was to ask. :grin:

I don't know if they still do it now but that was a great experience and their watches are also great. :thumbsup:
Mine was Aegir. Todd sent me all sorts of stuff. I bought 4 or 5 watches from him.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:22 pm

I don’t know that you’d get a “yes” to that with any brand, regardless of size. Any that agreed would definitely be an exception.
:htfu:

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:03 pm

Yeah, I asked Bremont if I bought a watch with a display back whether they'd swap it for a closed back - said I'd pay, but no deal as it would create a watch that isn't in their line-up.
Regards

Steve

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:57 pm

With certain companies that are more established and have a large production (Seiko is the perfect example) it is possible to get parts bot OEM and aftermarket. This is why I like this brand, not because their watches are better or have nicer designs, but because they allow me to customize watches with both OEM and aftermarket parts and create the look I want. :grin:

Of course there are other brands that are similar while there are some that one is just stuck with what he buys. And certainly one can always try new things but the fit and compatibility might be questionable... :shrug:

Not a bashing of certain companies, one can be totally and completely happy with whatever their buy. For me it is just a choice of which brand is more convenient and practical to use if one is into customizing a bit - or a lot - his watches... :grin: :thumbsup: This incidentally also affect the repair and maintenance. :clap:

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:57 am

It's a crap shoot in dealing with Microbrands. I've been dealing with them since 2005. Each company is different. Some companies will send you replacement parts for free. Some companies will send you replacement parts if you pay for them. Some companies have parts but won't send them out, you have to send the watch to them. And then some companies don't even stock replacement parts...your just out of luck.