Maranez

Discussion of microbrand watches
WatchOut63
Name: Jim

Re: Maranez

Post by WatchOut63 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:03 am

Seppia wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:07 pm
WatchOut63 wrote:From HK to my home in MI in 2 days. Hell I can't even get USPS to deliver from Detroit to my house an hour away in that time. :mrgreen:
It’s funny how so many Americans think sending to HK (or any other super safe country like SG) is somehow more risky than in the USA when HK has a much more advanced and reliable public postal system than the quasi-third world North American one.

When I receive stuff from the USA it’s actually the American part that scares me the most.
I would agree with you, but you have it backwards. The watch came from HK to the US which is where I live. Nothing to do with safety, it's the duration of shipping which was excellent from FedEX Hong Kong to the USA.

WatchOut63
Name: Jim

Post by WatchOut63 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:11 am

Seppia wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:31 am
That’s exactly in line with what I was saying. Shipping from HK was excellent and I’m not surprised at all.
:thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:45 pm

Seppia wrote:
it’s actually the American part that scares me the most.
Same :crybaby:

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:44 am

I’ve been nerd searching info on Maranez and came across this. I’m no stranger to Doxa, I wrote the chapter in the Legends book that made the rest look so good. What grabs me about the Maranez, compared to the real deal, is tapered bracelet, all brushed finish on the bezel, drilled lugs (!), and the bracelet ends don’t flare out at the end links. Lume appears better than the current 300T Doxa, especially the bezel pip.

On the homage vs real deal debate, Doxa isn’t exactly a recognizable brand outside our little world. It’s not the same as a Rolex homage where you might be anxious that it will (or won’t) be mistaken for the real thing. The Maranez out in the real world is just a funky shaped watch with a variety of colorful dials and a solid Seiko movement.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:58 pm

Henryj wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:44 am
I’ve been nerd searching info on Maranez and came across this. I’m no stranger to Doxa, I wrote the chapter in the Legends book that made the rest look so good. What grabs me about the Maranez, compared to the real deal, is tapered bracelet, all brushed finish on the bezel, drilled lugs (!), and the bracelet ends don’t flare out at the end links. Lume appears better than the current 300T Doxa, especially the bezel pip.

On the homage vs real deal debate, Doxa isn’t exactly a recognizable brand outside our little world. It’s not the same as a Rolex homage where you might be anxious that it will (or won’t) be mistaken for the real thing. The Maranez out in the real world is just a funky shaped watch with a variety of colorful dials and a solid Seiko movement.
Yep. Doxa is an unknown. The only feedback I got about my Doxa were strange looks. It is an unusually shaped design.
The Hapa

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:30 am

Henry, I wish everyone had the same view as you about the Maranez Samui. On the Facebook Doxa forum most of them get very uppity about the Maranez and the two other brands now making Doxalikes.
You're right, outside the world of watch fans no one knows about Doxa, same can be said about Sinn and a shed full of other brands we all know and love.
:thumbsup:
Andy :uj:

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:58 pm

Seppia wrote:
WatchOut63 wrote:From HK to my home in MI in 2 days. Hell I can't even get USPS to deliver from Detroit to my house an hour away in that time. :mrgreen:
It’s funny how so many Americans think sending to HK (or any other super safe country like SG) is somehow more risky than in the USA when HK has a much more advanced and reliable public postal system than the quasi-third world North American one.

When I receive stuff from the USA it’s actually the American part that scares me the most.
That's exactly what i try to convince my seller/buyer over the years. Eventually all shipments to and fro Commonwealth countries are pretty safe as they inherit British Royal Mail postal system!
Watch collector since 1989

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:49 am

Henryj wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:44 am

I bought one in order to use the bracelet on my Synchron Military and it is honestly a decent watch. My daughter wears it around and has had zero issues with it.

I actually think the GMT / elapsed time combo bezel on the Maranez is more practical than the no deco bezel on the Doxa. My only gripe with the Maranez is I wish the GMT scale engraved numbers were done in a bit more bold font. The current design can be hard to see.