Discussion of microbrand watches
demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Re: White Dial Ares Diver-1

Post by demer03 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:33 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:58 am
demer03 wrote:Meh, internet should be taken with a grain of salt.

Two I’ve had were fine without issues.

Been thinking of adding one as a grab and go.
I disagree. I’ve seen this many times with many brands. Sure, you got good ones. But that doesn’t mean others didn’t have issues or that issues have arose since you had yours etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Opinions vary. We are all free to spend our money our own way.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:56 pm

demer03 wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

I disagree. I’ve seen this many times with many brands. Sure, you got good ones. But that doesn’t mean others didn’t have issues or that issues have arose since you had yours etc.

It’s not an opinion, and I never (nor would I ever) tell you or anyone what time buy.
But I’ve been in the same situation before, on the positive side, never had issue with X brand etc, but then I kept hearing more things, and as always where there is smoke there is fire.

People have been having major issues with Ares. Why is that? Bad product, bad QC. The reality is, it’s either true or people are making it up in a way to take Ares and /or Matt down. Not sure why that would be a thing, but either way, it’s not reflecting well for the brand.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:37 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:56 pm
demer03 wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

It’s not an opinion, and I never (nor would I ever) tell you or anyone what time buy.
But I’ve been in the same situation before, on the positive side, never had issue with X brand etc, but then I kept hearing more things, and as always where there is smoke there is fire.

People have been having major issues with Ares. Why is that? Bad product, bad QC. The reality is, it’s either true or people are making it up in a way to take Ares and /or Matt down. Not sure why that would be a thing, but either way, it’s not reflecting well for the brand.

Perhaps. Generally the accepted data (what I’ve learned through work) is that only 1.5% of people leave reviews online. All I’m saying is that it’s something to consider, but not wholesale fact. Use your own judgement.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

White Dial Ares Diver-1

Post by PGERRITY » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:38 pm

I took my Diver 1 (first batch made) on a 30m dive and it flooded instantly. I contacted Matt, sent him some underwater pics of the watch flooded and I had a complete replacement watch within days. Turns out there was a manufacturing issue with the caseback. After that I had no issues. So I can only speak to my customer service experience, which was very prompt and apologetic. I’ve done a lot of deals with Matt and we’ve met up in person for a meal and he’s a super solid guy, imho. I hope things come around.

Last edited by PGERRITY on Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:49 pm

This one arrived DOA and water damaged a few years ago. Was replaced promptly and offered to send the new one out before he got this one back.

I’ve shared it before, but I also had a bezel issue on a different one that wasn’t resolved to my liking after sending it back, but to be fair I never followed up after getting it returned “fixed”. I blame myself for that one.

I wish him and the company well and hope it all gets figured out.
- Todd

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:51 pm

PGERRITY wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:38 pm
I took my Diver 1 (first batch made) on a 30m dive and it flooded instantly. I contacted Matt, sent him some underwater pics of the watch flooded and I had a complete replacement watch within days. Turns out there was a manufacturing issue with the caseback. After that I had no issues. So I can only speak to my customer service experience, which was very prompt and apologetic. I’ve don’t a lot of deals with Matt and we’ve met up in person for a meal and he’s a super solid guy, imho. I hope things come around.
So he didn't do any pressure testing?? Finding out the case-backs don't seal because watches flood is sub-par QC any way you look at it.

Faulty case-backs, faulty crowns, dust under the crystal. People spent a lot on this stuff...they deserve that the maker would take due care.

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:57 pm

The card inside said it was pressure tested, so who knows. I agree with you, and maybe they rolled out too fast to meet demand. But I hate to see the feedback on that site. It’s not great at all.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

White Dial Ares Diver-1

Post by Chocodove » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:58 pm

Based on my example, I assume they are indeed pressure tested. And sent out regardless of result :lol:
- Todd

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

White Dial Ares Diver-1

Post by BBK357 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:40 pm

Chocodove wrote:Based on my example, I assume they are indeed pressure tested. And sent out regardless of result :lol:
Ha! They sent you Pats after he flooded it!
Yours has to be the funniest example. I mean come on, water inside and rusty hands…
Last edited by BBK357 on Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

White Dial Ares Diver-1

Post by BBK357 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:44 pm

I hear you Mike… but look at the examples on your own team. One came water damaged, one came and flooded after wearing, other issues… mine only ticked with the crown unscrewed. When the crown was screwed in it stopped ticking… these examples here pretty much scream little or no QC.
I like the design and want to buy a used one eventually, but you can’t just overlook our own experiences and say “it’s the internet”.

https://imgur.com/a/ZB6Nab5
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:37 pm

Matt is a friend, but would tell you if I experienced issues - I have handled probably a dozen of his watches of various flavors (still own two) and the rest were tested for months in the most arduous conditions by guys I work with. Jumping, diving, shooting etc… We never had one issue, except one of the rubber straps got caught on Hgear and ripped through.

The two I own are extremely accurate.

Anyway, that’s been my experience 🇺🇸
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:38 pm

they are calling most of the failed ones the "TAD era". i am sure TAD is loving that shit.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:59 am

Matt, you know what’s nice is how there looks to always be multiple versions
of the watch made available. :) So there is something for everyone, or what
everyone might be looking for. 8-) Then add in the sharp stealthy looks at he
same time, and you get double the watch fun !!

I can see this this one in your future Matt. ;) Want to thank you for the cool
report about it !!!

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:10 am

hoppyjr wrote:
logan2z wrote:The comments on that video don't exactly inspire confidence in the brand.
He addressed the issues I had with my early examples, but I listened to his podcast with Jack Carr and couldn’t help but get the feeling that he doesn’t see it from the buyer perspective. I recall something about minor issues and that the watch was “hand built for you” or some such thing. Maybe it’s me, but the feeling was “if you don’t like something deal with it”. I like Matt, but spending this much for a quartz watch, I do expect top shelf stuff.

Monta is a great example of delivering the goods. Every one I’ve owned felt worth more than its msrp.
I know I’m pulling off an old scab - but, I’d trade my Blackout SOG Ares Diver-1 (#22/50) for the right Monta… just sayin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:40 am

Still have my OG Diver-1 (one of the protos), and it has been a tank for me.