Anyone watching the judo?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Anyone watching the judo?

Post by poppydog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:47 am

Fabio Basile of Italy, ranked around 29th in the world, is through to the semi-finals of the -66kg; very exciting player going through higher-ranked players like a dose of salts. Hope he gets in the final.
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Re: Anyone watching the judo?

Post by poppydog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:02 pm

And he's in the final :clap:
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:42 pm

And he's got the gold :dance: Thrown the top seed, 2015 world champion, for ippon, bloody awesome :clap:
Regards

Steve

GGD

Post by GGD » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey Steve - yeah I watched it as well. Great effort!!!

Not a fan of the way they're enforcing the new "no attacking the legs" disqualifications though. Fair enough if you actually "attack" a leg but when your arm / shoulder barely touches your opponent below the belt during play it's pretty ridiculous.

They need to get rid of that rule ASAP.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:43 pm

When they stopped allowing single and double legs I stopped caring about judo.

GGD

Post by GGD » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:45 pm

I agree Jacob - the sport has already lost a lot of it's skill set & diversity with basically no groundwork so I hate to see it be even more restricting on the athletes.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:48 pm

GGD wrote:I agree Jacob - the sport has already lost a lot of it's skill set & diversity with basically no groundwork so I hate to see it be even more restricting on the athletes.
It's true. As BJJ increases in popularity, judo seems to be working to make itself even less relevant as a real marital art.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:40 pm

The leg issue is stupid, but I expect they'll do something about that after the games. On the other hand, it was getting to a point where many western players were more reliant on 'pick ups' than more traditional techniques and the sport was losing its historical style. It does mean players have to concentrate on the classic techniques, and in its purest form, is still the most spectacular of all the combat sports imho. And Basile's win is a case in point: he beat the best players in the world coming into the games with diverse and classic judo.
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:45 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
GGD wrote:I agree Jacob - the sport has already lost a lot of it's skill set & diversity with basically no groundwork so I hate to see it be even more restricting on the athletes.
It's true. As BJJ increases in popularity, judo seems to be working to make itself even less relevant as a real marital art.
I kinda get what you're saying, but judo is historically not really a martial art in the same context as things like karate and jujitsu. It's only just over a hundred years old compared to a couple of thousand for some of the others. In my view, it doesn't sit in the same place as true martial arts.
Regards

Steve

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:42 am

Love hearing stories like this, good for him.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:38 am

Judo is characterized as a sport. However, at its highest levels, I believe it is a true martial art.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:34 am

True. I'm just coming from the perspective of historical relevence, and the fact that judo techniques can be applied in full during competition, whereas something like karate employs techniques intended to disable / maim that couldn't be applied fully in the same way, thus sport vs martial art. I get what you mean, though, in a broader sense, in terms of it's cultural relevance and spirit.
Regards

Steve

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:39 am

Judo seems to be actively pushing to make itself less relevant as a fighting art. The French federation is threatening to ban any judoka who gets involved in mma.

I've been teaching my daughter judo since she was tiny, but I'd never let her waste time learning from someone who won't teach how to defend against a low single.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:21 pm

Great choice. The kids who start very young (and like it) pick up martial arts like its walking.
The Hapa

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:39 pm

HapaHapa wrote:Great choice. The kids who start very young (and like it) pick up martial arts like its walking.
It's true. She's throwing up arm bars and triangles like nothing and she's only three and a half. Some five year old kid hit her at the park and she tripped him off his feet and then took his back with two hooks before I could break them up. The kid had no idea what happened to him and all the park moms looked at us like we were insane.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:18 pm

I'd agree, judo is the best for kids. The wrestling/grappling is a natural for them.
Aside from relevance and spirit, I believe judo at the top levels dabbles in energy flow/ ki, and the rest of the 'magic'.
Now to get my 3 year old grandson involved.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

GGD

Post by GGD » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:40 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:Great choice. The kids who start very young (and like it) pick up martial arts like its walking.
It's true. She's throwing up arm bars and triangles like nothing and she's only three and a half. Some five year old kid hit her at the park and she tripped him off his feet and then took his back with two hooks before I could break them up. The kid had no idea what happened to him and all the park moms looked at us like we were insane.
That's epic!! Love it :clap: :clap: :clap:

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:57 pm

Friend of mine was attached by two guys one night. He dropped one and the other ran at him and tried to push him through a shop window. He spun as he was grabbed and instinctively threw him and landed on top of him - heavily. This was years ago when I was a paramedic, and one of my workmates described the scene when he arrived on scene as my friend sitting on the kerb and two unconcious laying in the street.
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:29 pm

Congrats to Travis Stevens, silver medal under 81kg :clap:
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:10 pm

Second gold for the USA, and second for Kayla Harrison: London 2012 and Rio 2016 :clap:
Regards

Steve