Leasing?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Leasing?

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:08 pm

I did a quick search and didn't find a topic devoted to leasing.

I have NEVER leased a car.

In a separate thread I shared my plan to buy a 3-row (8 passenger) SUV later this year.

Several new vehicles due out this year that look promising.

I worry that it might be a bad idea to jump on a new model and then regret the decision for years to come.

If I leased something, I would have time to see how the new SUV's pan out.

I could even lease one of the new releases and turn it in at the end of the lease if it disappoints.

I have a lot of grunt work ahead to get a sense of the ins-and-outs of leasing, but thought I'd ask for some insight.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Re: Leasing?

Post by ericf4 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:47 pm

I only lease. Always drive a new car, never have a repair bill....I have no interest in a car for 5 years losing value rapidly that I then get to keep. Not for me. I'm happy having a car payment and a new car all the time.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:14 pm

We lease. We turn one in next year and will lease again.
Biggest thing with a lease is to know how many miles you are planning on using in a year. Most only start at 10k, some 12. If you think you ate going to be using more, but more at signing.
Another thing to keep in mind is damage to the vehicle. If you re-lease with the same company, they tend to overlook many of the wear and tear, dents, scratches etc. If you want to go elsewhere, they go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:39 am

Do you put money down on the lease?

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:14 am

As little as possible. Usually I'm out of pocket a few grand up front.covers first and last payment, taxes And license.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:23 pm

fuck that. i hate car payments

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:44 pm

we lease our "new" car. it's too expensive to maintain rolling computers once out of warranty.
fwiw, i own all three of our other older cars, but re-up a new lease for our (my wife's) daily every 3 years. i work from home so have no daily commute.
most leases these days require no money down and have reasonable residuals. leases used to make 0 fiscal sense, but the terms have swung way in the favor of the lessee in the last decade.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:13 pm

toxicavenger wrote:fuck that. i hate car payments
Same here.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:22 pm

I only lease. I’ve accepted having a car payment the rest of my life. New car every 3 years. Never worry about shit except basic services. Lexus is great about not charging for returns with dings and bald tires. As long as you lease another. I usually put 3-5k down because I lease in March when I make the majority of my money and it helps me coast in December when I’m broke.

mattcantwin

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:36 pm

nweash wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:22 pm

...charging for returns with dings and bald tires.
Those charges are my biggest concern with leasing.

Tires won't be an issue, I don't drive many miles each year.

Always the threat of bumps and bruises using a car over a three year period; not an issue if I own, might be an issue at lease-end.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:45 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:23 pm
Me too. I tend to keep cars for a long time, so I get good value for money.

mattcantwin

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:49 pm

nweash wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:22 pm

I only lease. I’ve accepted having a car payment the rest of my life.

New car every 3 years. Never worry about shit except basic service.
I could buy into that.

Bought my '03 Suburban new and have had it for almost 16 years.

I hate to think about the money I've spent keeping it running once the extended warranty ended; way too much.

Currently, the passenger side window is broken and so is the speedometer*.

Not critical issues, portable GPS unit has a speedometer and I don't care if my wife can't open her window.

However, the tires are new and I keep up with recommended services.

New car every 3 years sounds inviting.

* I have to admit my surprise in passing state inspection two years in a row with a broken speedometer; but I'm not complaining.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Selym wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:45 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:23 pm
Me too. I tend to keep cars for a long time, so I get good value for money.
That's really the main difference. I tend to keep my cars a very long time and have saved enough to pay for all my other hobbies simply by paying them off and not having a car payment.

If I wanted a new car every 3 or 4 years, leasing would definitely be something to consider. Buy & hold or lease & update often seem to be the two paths that make sense, depends on preferences :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Selym

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:00 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:49 pm
* I have to admit my surprise in passing state inspection two years in a row with a broken speedometer; but I'm not complaining.
How would they know? Granted, I haven't lived in NY for going on 8 years. Is a road test part of the safety inspection these days?

mattcantwin

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Selym wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:00 pm
mattcantwin wrote:
How would they know? Granted, I haven't lived in NY for going on 8 years. Is a road test part of the safety inspection these days?
I'm guessing they noticed driving it into the service bay at "90 miles an hour".

Selym

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:27 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:11 pm
Selym wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:00 pm
mattcantwin wrote:
I'm guessing they noticed driving it into the service bay at "90 miles an hour".
Gotcha. The place I used to use in LIC required me to drive the car in myself, because the guy couldn't drive manual transmission. :lol:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Good feedback. I'm not in the market but need to stay up to date on these things. Both our Acura RDX's are 10 years old and things are starting to fail. Mostly door locks oddly enough, plus AC on my wife's. Need to get that AC fixed before it warms up.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
I hate to think about the money I've spent keeping it running once the extended warranty ended; way too much.
In the 10 years I have owned my Saab I have not put in more than what I would be paying in payments for repairs. If the payments are on the low end at $300 a month, which is 3,600 year I think I might have done that in repairs for the whole 10 years I have owned it.

But I get people wanted the extra assurance of driving a new car. I do believe it is unwarranted though. Those mofo's break down also. :mrgreen:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Leasing isn't for me. Kind of like renting instead of being a homeowner. You have nothing to show for it after the payment ends other than rinse and repeat. Bought my Yukon SLT brand new in 2001. Paid it off in 2004. So this April it will be 15 years without a car payment. Doesn't get any better than that in getting a bang for your buck. 244K miles and all I've had to do to it is the routine maintenance things that come with age, nothing major.

I never intended on keeping it beyond 10 years, but it's been such a great vehicle, and I've kept it in great shape, that it's become a challenge to see how long it can go without becoming a money pit.

mattcantwin

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:41 pm

My other issue with leasing is that I'm always on the lookout for stockade fencing laying at the side of the road.

Throw a tarp in the back of the Suburban, load it up and drive away.

Best kindling around and free.

I doubt I would continue that with a leased vehicle.

Looks like I just talked myself out of the leasing market.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:46 pm

jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:fuck that. i hate car payments
Same here.
Same. Still driving my 2005 F150 and keep it well maintained. Low insurance, no payments, and low tags.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:20 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:12 pm
Leasing isn't for me. Kind of like renting instead of being a homeowner. You have nothing to show for it after the payment ends other than rinse and repeat. Bought my Yukon SLT brand new in 2001. Paid it off in 2004. So this April it will be 15 years without a car payment. Doesn't get any better than that in getting a bang for your buck. 244K miles and all I've had to do to it is the routine maintenance things that come with age, nothing major.

I never intended on keeping it beyond 10 years, but it's been such a great vehicle, and I've kept it in great shape, that it's become a challenge to see how long it can go without becoming a money pit.
the key difference though is that every single car is guaranteed to depreciate while a home goes the opposite direction.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:59 pm

ericf4 wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:

the key difference though is that every single car is guaranteed to depreciate while a home goes the opposite direction.

But you are also in a constant state of car payments, higher insurance and higher tags.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:01 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:

But you are also in a constant state of car payments, higher insurance and higher tags.
True on payments. But I don't mind in order to always have a nice new car. . Tags not true. In IL all tags are same price.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:09 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:20 pm
59yukon01 wrote:

That's not always the case...as millions of Americans found out around 2008.
In some areas, you can make an argument for renting a dwelling. I've sunk more than $50k (and still easily have another $100k left to bring it up to date) into my house in the past yr in maintenance and would lose a fortune if I was considering labor costs, mortgage interest, and real estate commissions if I were selling soon.