SUV/Crossover Suggestions

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:55 am

I’m interviewing for a new job downtown and will have to commute again if hired, so it’s time to consider getting rid of the old F150. Here my wish list for the replacement vehicle.

Wants:
2-3 year old model
Reliable/low maintenance cost
<$30k USD
AWD / 4WD
Good gas mileage (>30 highway)
Room in the cargo area for 2 large dogs
Leather interior, heated seats
Apple Car Play in entertainment center

What suggestions do you have??

www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:57 am

Subaru Crosstrek, though the cargo area may be a slightly smaller than what you are looking for.

And good luck with your interview.
- Todd

zepp21
Name: Alex

Re: SUV/Crossover Suggestions

Post by zepp21 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:59 am

Are you looking to lease or buy? Assuming buy with your price range and if the commute is that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 am

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:57 am
Subaru Crosstrek, though the cargo area may be a slightly smaller than what you are looking for.

The Crosstrek is surprisingly small on the inside - smaller than my Civic. My wife's Outback is really nice.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:13 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

The Crosstrek is surprisingly small on the inside - smaller than my Civic. My wife's Outback is really nice.
The Outback will be my next car.
- Todd

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:27 am

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:13 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Are you waiting for the next generation, or are you going to pick up the current one on the cheap? I was worried that the 4 cylinder would be underpowered (we live at the top of a pretty steep hill) but it's been totally fine. The driving dynamics are pretty nice as well. I'm already thinking of replacing my Civic with a WRX STI.

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 am

Greg

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 am

:-)
Last edited by hoppyjr on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 am

zepp21 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:59 am
Are you looking to lease or buy? Assuming buy with your price range and if the commute is that far.

Buy and I have an aversion to Subaru's - they are the quintessential CO car!
www.simplynoble.net

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:13 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Are you waiting for the next generation, or are you going to pick up the current one on the cheap? I was worried that the 4 cylinder would be underpowered (we live at the top of a pretty steep hill) but it's been totally fine. The driving dynamics are pretty nice as well. I'm already thinking of replacing my Civic with a WRX STI.
Probably whatever is available next year, which is likely when we’ll buy. We’ll buy new due to how easy and no hassle it is with the Subaru partner programs. I love my Crosstrek and everyone says that’s underpowered as well, but I beat the hell out of it in the mountains in the snow on the regular and no issues whatsoever.

If I could justify the STI, I’d totally get it. Very nice.
- Todd

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:15 am

I'm partial and have owned a lot of diesels, but there's a certified pre-owned TDI Touareg nearby. If you haven't driven one, go check it out. The V6 is such a nice engine (and almost as quick as the V10 TDI we had).
https://vwcpo.com/vehicle/WVGEP9BP9GD00 ... g-TDI-Lux/

Another option is the updated Honda Pilot, if you have any need for a third row.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:37 am

We've had a Honda Pilot for years and it is a reliable beast. Nothing except regular routine maintenance and we are now closing in on 180K miles. We'd swap it out, but with two kids bringing in either half a beach worth of sand, or half a mountain's worth of snow (depending upon the season), and no reliability issues, we figure on just running it.

Northern New England resident and surprisingly little rust on the vehicle. My Tacoma is younger and worse in that department.

The only negative is the Honda Pilot is loud (louder with wind and road noise than my Tacoma). For this reason I might consider looking at the Acura MDX (which I think is the same platform as the Pilot, just with better sound deadening and upgraded interior / accessories).

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:42 am

TSD wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:15 am
I'm partial and have owned a lot of diesels, but there's a certified pre-owned TDI Touareg nearby. If you haven't driven one, go check it out. The V6 is such a nice engine (and almost as quick as the V10 TDI we had).

Another option is the updated Honda Pilot, if you have any need for a third row.
We had a VW AWD Passat prior to the Pilot. Great car and surprisingly awesome in the snow. Only negative is VW maintenance on nearly everything is expensive. Synthetic oil is required. The Passat required specialty wipers at $40 a pop from the dealer. Dumb stuff that would normally take 10 minutes on a car was a PITA with the VW, such as replacing a headlight bulb. The vehicle was definitely not designed for maintainability.

My opinion is VW's are fantastic rides up until about 90K miles, then they will nickle and dime you to death as things wear out.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:37 am
The only negative is the Honda Pilot is loud (louder with wind and road noise than my Tacoma). For this reason I might consider looking at the Acura MDX (which I think is the same platform as the Pilot, just with better sound deadening and upgraded interior / accessories).
Our Pilot was also kind of raspy and loud when you get on it, but it does make a nice road car and gets great mileage with the cylinder deactivation. An MDX is basically the same vehicle, but with a higher-output VTEC, and less headroom / clearance in the cargo area.

Roger, you might also want to check out a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel. Here's a CPO in Colo Spgs:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:09 am

TSD wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:15 am

I'd totally look at the Touareg, but this one's over budget and black interior. Forgot about them so will add that to the list - thanks.

Don't need a 3rd row and IIRC, the Pilot is a gas hog (ok - not as bad as I thought but not >30), so I'll take a look at the MDX as well and see how the pricing is on 2016's or so.
www.simplynoble.net

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:14 am

TSD wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Our Pilot was also kind of raspy and loud when you get on it, but it does make a nice road car and gets great mileage with the cylinder deactivation. An MDX is basically the same vehicle, but with a higher-output VTEC, and less headroom / clearance in the cargo area.

Roger, you might also want to check out a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel. Here's a CPO in Colo Spgs:
Had a Grand Cherokee before and loved the ride and 4WD options, but the reliability was crap. Looking at reviews, it seems it's still hit or miss.
www.simplynoble.net

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 am

BacoNoir wrote:
TSD wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

Had a Grand Cherokee before and loved the ride and 4WD options, but the reliability was crap. Looking at reviews, it seems it's still hit or miss.
I feel most American cars are that way today. I’ve had good luck with my Ram before I traded it. It was rock solid and only needed routine maintenance and a recall on the infotainment system. My dad’s explorer has been problematic.

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:32 am

zepp21 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 am
BacoNoir wrote:
TSD wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

I feel most American cars are that way today. I’ve had good luck with my Ram before I traded it. It was rock solid and only needed routine maintenance and a recall on the infotainment system. My dad’s explorer has been problematic.

Yeah, my 2005 F150 has been reliable, but some things like $800 to do a tune up because the plugs can bind in the 5.4L heads (common across all vehicles that use this) and some transmission issues a while back that we were hard to diagnose have me worried about it as it gets older. I've owned server hondas and now we have a RAV 4 and love the simple maintenance/reliability.

Just looked at the MDX more and it looks like 2018 was when they finally got CarPlay / AndroidPlay and the Entertainment system / climate controls figured out. Still seems weird that they have 2 screens, but I've had some rental cars with that and got use to it after a few days. The 2018 is out of my desired price range, but I'll still keep it in mind. Maybe they'll drop more after the 2020's hit the street in a few months.
www.simplynoble.net

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:39 am

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:47 am

TSD wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

They are much different now, maybe similar in the past, but the finishing, ride, power and most everything else is superior. I've owned 4, never an issue and will by another when the time comes...worth every penny.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:50 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:32 am
zepp21 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 am
BacoNoir wrote:
TSD wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

We just bought the 2019 AWD with Advance package captain chairs in 2nd row. Awesome car.

Yeah, my 2005 F150 has been reliable, but some things like $800 to do a tune up because the plugs can bind in the 5.4L heads (common across all vehicles that use this) and some transmission issues a while back that we were hard to diagnose have me worried about it as it gets older. I've owned server hondas and now we have a RAV 4 and love the simple maintenance/reliability.

Just looked at the MDX more and it looks like 2018 was when they finally got CarPlay / AndroidPlay and the Entertainment system / climate controls figured out. Still seems weird that they have 2 screens, but I've had some rental cars with that and got use to it after a few days. The 2018 is out of my desired price range, but I'll still keep it in mind. Maybe they'll drop more after the 2020's hit the street in a few months.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:39 am
Honda enjoys an undeserved reputation for reliability:
http://www.hondaproblems.com/transmission-failure/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... e-trouble/
Many of Honda's earlier transmission issues were overblown, but generally they earned their reliability reputation in the 80's and 90's when they were blowing away the domestics in reliability. Not so much anymore, but as GM and VW well know, it takes decades to change reputations.

As far as an SUV, I'm not a big fan of crossovers, but acknowledge their appeal and practicality for most people. If you aren't doing heavy off roading and don't want a Subaru, Toyota is always a safe bet. For commuting/mileage you are probably avoiding body on frame models like the 4-runner. Rav 4 is a good, comfortable vehicle that will hold it's value. If you enjoy driving and want some driving dynamics, consider a Mazda CX-3 or CX-5.

If you don't need a lot of ground clearance and want something more fun, consider a VW Alltrack. $30k gets you a well equipped SE model. 30 mpg highway and has 72 month warranty. Checks all of your boxes (car play, heated seats, etc....). Very good interior space for dogs. VW's are pretty reliable these days. Can even get one with a manual.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:35 am

dnslater wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Many of Honda's earlier transmission issues were overblown, but generally they earned their reliability reputation in the 80's and 90's when they were blowing away the domestics in reliability. Not so much anymore, but as GM and VW well know, it takes decades to change reputations.
My transmission is starting to feel off, despite having only 50,000 miles on the car and having dealer performed maintenance completely on schedule. The transmission issue is real, as is the CRV turbo engine problem.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am

I’ve owned a bunch of Kias over the years, never even had anything small or cheap fail.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:10 am

dnslater wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

As far as an SUV, I'm not a big fan of crossovers, but acknowledge their appeal and practicality for most people. If you aren't doing heavy off roading and don't want a Subaru, Toyota is always a safe bet. For commuting/mileage you are probably avoiding body on frame models like the 4-runner. Rav 4 is a good, comfortable vehicle that will hold it's value. If you enjoy driving and want some driving dynamics, consider a Mazda CX-3 or CX-5.

If you don't need a lot of ground clearance and want something more fun, consider a VW Alltrack. $30k gets you a well equipped SE model. 30 mpg highway and has 72 month warranty. Checks all of your boxes (car play, heated seats, etc....). Very good interior space for dogs. VW's are pretty reliable these days. Can even get one with a manual.
That VW is one I haven’t seen IRL. Need to check it out.

I may need to rethink the Subaru thing too. The Outback does look like it checks all the boxes.

Looked at the Acura RDX and it might be an option too
www.simplynoble.net