Recent trip to Maryland

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Recent trip to Maryland

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:46 pm

I went to High School in a blue collared town called Aberdeen. After graduation we moved to Alaska. I came back and lived in the next town over from Aberdeen called Havre De Grace. It is a small town on the Chesapeake Bay with about 15k people. My surprised me with a father days gift of our family going there to visit. They have never been there before. We only had 5 days but I took them everywhere. Somethings have definitely changed but all in all it was a great trip. We went to Chincoteague Island VA, Hershey Park, Ocean City MD, Port Deposit, BelAir and a few other local places. Our hotel was in Elkton on the Maryland Delaware border.

Don't be surprised if you order comes form MD in the next year or so. Colorado is changing way to fast for us and it sucks. :banghead: Colorado Springs is one of the fastest growing cities in the US. With that driving has turned to shit, and prices are going crazy on everything. This is not why I stayed here for the last 20 years.

A few pics of MD. :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Re: Recent trip to Maryland

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm

Sounds like your family enjoyed the east coast. That’s a big change in some ways, but then again there’s still great places to ride and hike and eat so maybe not so different after all. There’s no shortage of great attractions in that region of the US.
The Hapa

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:00 am

What a great trip / father’s day present / fun family adventure! Great pictures, too

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 am

Good stuff. Grew up going to OC in the summer. And I haven't had Thrasher's in about 25 years...so good.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:10 am

I went to Nuclear Power School at Bainbridge in 1972. Spent time in both places. When Hurricane Agnes came up the river, the residents of Port Deposit (if memory serves) evacuated to the base. Afterwards, I drove through town and the high water marks were about 9 feet up the buildings by the river.
Last edited by Henryj on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:29 am

That sounds like a lovely family trip. It was a thoughtful gift. Good luck on making MD a permanent home.

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:33 am

Would love to have you back!
Image Image

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 am

Maryland is a beautiful state. Glad you had a great time.
Come down to Florida. It’s a great place to run a small business.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 am

We get Thrashers fries all the time when we visit my BIL in Rehoboth - they're delicious. The only downside is that the seagulls chase after you.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club

Post by jswing » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:54 am

I went to school in Newark DE and lived between there and Wilmington DE for 20+ years, so I know that area well. The wild horses on Chincoteague Island are a sight, and hopefully this time of year you didn't get eaten alive by the bugs. I think Ocean City MD has the most bars per square block in the world! Glad you and the family had fun. :cheers:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:13 am

Your daughter is really growing up. The extant of my experience in MD consists of Baltimore. I'm glad to hear that there are some nice areas.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club

Post by jswing » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:13 am
Your daughter is really growing up. The extant of my experience in MD consists of Baltimore. I'm glad to hear that there are some nice areas.
Wait, you didn't like Baltimore? :shrug:

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:26 am

good stuff, T :thumbsup:

my wife is from Bal'more, so we've visited all the places you mention... Chincoteague was really cool and the Delaware beaches are sweet! loves me some Dogfish Head! :cheers:
Last edited by gr8sw on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:51 am

Nice to see T-bone. I love Maryland but wouldn’t retire there since they tax your social security. Thrasher’s are by far, the best fries. If you make the move, or come visit again, hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:44 am

That had to be one of the coolest Father's Day gifts Terry ! ..Yowza, so nice,
and so thoughtful too. :) Can only imagine your reaction when you heard
the news, and found out about this ! :excited: By the sound, along with look
at your fantastic pictures, it looks like it was just the best Terry. ..Am so
glad that your family thought to do this, and all of you got to experience
it there.

Looks beautiful !!! ..Thanks a lot sir ! :salute:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:39 am

dukerules wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 am
Good stuff. Grew up going to OC in the summer. And I haven't had Thrasher's in about 25 years...so good.
Same here. There are still a ton of freaks on the boardwalk. :cheers: Thrashers was good 30 years ago. Now with so many restaurants doing the same style of fries they were actually just average :shrug: Kind of a killjoy.
Henryj wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:10 am
I went to Nuclear Power School at Bainbridge in 1972. Spent time in both places. When Hurricane Agnes came up the river, the residents of Port Deposit (if memory serves) evacuated to the base. Afterwards, I drove through town and the high water marks were about 9 feet up the buildings by the river.
Henry the Port is still a weird town. We had some great food at a place called Lee's Landing. They also have a restaurant called the Union House that was built in the late 1700's I think.

We saw a house there with about 50 fake flamingos in cages. Another one with some funky stairs going up to the house and water runoff running next to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 am

rockmastermike wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:00 am
What a great trip / father’s day present / fun family adventure! Great pictures, too
Thanks Mike it was a good one. Just to short.
1954Selmer wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:29 am
That sounds like a lovely family trip. It was a thoughtful gift. Good luck on making MD a permanent home.
Thanks bro. It was awesome.
TLgdeL wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:33 am
Would love to have you back!
This mtf'er trying to make me one his "own" :cheers:
CGSshorty wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 am
Maryland is a beautiful state. Glad you had a great time.
Come down to Florida. It’s a great place to run a small business.
I am not sure about FL. I have never been down as far as you have. But you never know. :salute:

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:59 am

Love it! Grew up in the MD suburbs as well, and we had a place on 112th Street in OC for 15 years or so (parents sold it right as I got to driving age). We went back to DC, MD and VA about three years ago and did the OC boardwalk, Thrashers, Salt Water Taffy, Water slides, Jolly Rogers, etc.... Kids loved it as it is way different than Texas beaches, and they actually has only really spent time on Caribbean beaches (they have a rough life) so old school boardwalks, boggy boarding waves and masses of people on the beach was very new to them!

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:03 am

JBZ wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 am
We get Thrashers fries all the time when we visit my BIL in Rehoboth - they're delicious. The only downside is that the seagulls chase after you.
Yeah they do. They are some annoying fuckers. Unfortunately we did not make it to Rehoboth. We ran out of time.
jswing wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:54 am
I went to school in Newark DE and lived between there and Wilmington DE for 20+ years, so I know that area well. The wild horses on Chincoteague Island are a sight, and hopefully this time of year you didn't get eaten alive by the bugs. I think Ocean City MD has the most bars per square block in the world! Glad you and the family had fun. :cheers:
Wilmington is where we use to go to for college parties years ago. We did see a few horses. But as soon as we headed to the lighthouse the mosquitoes got us. :crybaby:

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:14 am

Wish I knew you were going to be at Hershey; I might have been able to come meet you.
Glad you had a good time, love OC Maryland.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:27 am

Goofing off in Port Deposit
Chincoteague Island
Wild horses there. We saw more but they were about a mile away. So no pic.
My daughter poutting because I told her the undercurrent was to rough to get in the water. There was only 2 people in because it was so rough.
Ray Shanty for lunch
Biggest hush puppies I have ever seen
OC boardwalk trying to decide if my daughter is getting her hair braided
More boardwalk
Trying to teach my kid how to skip rocks. She did not want to learn how to throw with a side arm
Not the OC baja "drug rug" pullover? I use to wear them all the time. So my daughter had to get one also.
Still trying to give her instructions
More goofing off
This watch shop was closed but it faces directly into the bay
Demon child
Old bay with honey wings. There were excellent.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:31 am

jswing wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:13 am
Wait, you didn't like Baltimore? :shrug:
I hate B-more. It isn't the Maryland I love :crybaby:
gr8sw wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:26 am
good stuff, T :thumbsup:

my wife is from Bal'more, so we've visited all the places you mention... Chincoteague was really cool and the Delaware beaches are sweet! loves me some Dogfish Head! :cheers:
Good times bro :cheers:
zepp21 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:51 am
Nice to see T-bone. I love Maryland but wouldn’t retire there since they tax your social security. Thrasher’s are by far, the best fries. If you make the move, or come visit again, hit me up.

That sucks about SS> Hell that is dirty. I might have to live across the border then. If we have more time I will coordinate something with you.
AtomicTom wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:44 am
That had to be one of the coolest Father's Day gifts Terry ! ..Yowza, so nice,
and so thoughtful too. :) Can only imagine your reaction when you heard
the news, and found out about this ! :excited: By the sound, along with look
at your fantastic pictures, it looks like it was just the best Terry. ..Am so
glad that your family thought to do this, and all of you got to experience
it there.

Looks beautiful !!! ..Thanks a lot sir ! :salute:
Thanks Tom! :cheers:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:35 am

RALAustin wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:59 am
Love it! Grew up in the MD suburbs as well, and we had a place on 112th Street in OC for 15 years or so (parents sold it right as I got to driving age). We went back to DC, MD and VA about three years ago and did the OC boardwalk, Thrashers, Salt Water Taffy, Water slides, Jolly Rogers, etc.... Kids loved it as it is way different than Texas beaches, and they actually has only really spent time on Caribbean beaches (they have a rough life) so old school boardwalks, boggy boarding waves and masses of people on the beach was very new to them!
Yeah it was a new experience for my wife and daugher. My wife is from Austin but the boardwalk has a different vibe. Isn't Secrets down by 112th?
tattoo chef wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:14 am

Wish I knew you were going to be at Hershey; I might have been able to come meet you.
Glad you had a good time, love OC Maryland.

Don maybe next time. We had to schedule Hersey around the weather. So we didn't actually decide to go until we woke up at 6am one morning. It was super overcast everywhere so we weren't sure what was gonna happen everyday.

DenverBuff
Name: Vic

Post by DenverBuff » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Crazy. My Mom's side of the family live in Havre De Grace. Been there a million times.

And my brother in law (retired Navy) went to Nuke school at Bainbridge.

Agree with you about Colorado - I live in Highlands Ranch and its getting nuts.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:34 pm

so close, but yet so far.

i was always more of a bethany person, but that's because my grandparents had a cottage there going back to the early 50s (wish they'd held onto it now). learned to body surf there before i turned 5.