How long should a NATO strap last?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
batwood14
Name: Brian

How long should a NATO strap last?

Post by batwood14 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:14 am

I bought a couple for my Seamaster ''Great White" but after about a month of regular wear the hole I use for correct fit becomes stretched and frayed.

I understand it's only a $15 piece of canvas...but only a month???

I bought one from Dievas and another from Strapcode...pretty much the same result. When you guys find a design you like do you buy a bunch of them??
Tag Heuer Kirium Chrongraph
Rolex LV Submariner "Kermit"
Longines Master Collection Quadruple Retrograde
Bell & Ross WW1-90
Omega Seamaster GMT "Great White"
Glycine Lagunare 1000 LE (XXX/200)
Armida A1 Bronze
Panerai 359 "Dirty Dial" (XXXX/3000)
Steinhart Nav.B Chrono Limited Gold Edition (XX/99)

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Re: How long should a NATO strap last?

Post by poppydog » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:26 am

Depends on what you mean by "last". My original NATO has frayed edges and stretched holes but is still usable at 20 years old (although I've never worn it constantly). It looks very tatty but does its job. They were originally conceived for the fixed bars of military watches and considered an easily-replaced item; I don't think they were ever meant to last for years.
Regards

Steve

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:26 am

Since it is fabric like material/texture, the holes should be sealed to prevent fraying. Of course it also depends if you use it really tight on the wrist or if the watch is heavy which puts stress on the holes. I never had this problem with any of my straps and I got them from Maratac and from David Howley, I also got some from another forum member but I am not sure where they come from.

However the last two straps I got from e-bay, had this problem. I ended up taking a soldering iron and slightly burn the holes so that the heat would melt and seal the edges of the holes. Never had this before with any of my straps though.

The oldest one I have is a Maratac and is at least 4 years old, no problems with it at all. However I rotate my watches quite a bit and so they don't have much wear overall.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 am

It depends on the usage environment and the frequency of use. A month is waaaaaay to short to have any issues. My U1 has been on a 5 PVD ring Zulu for well over a year, sees 2-4 days of wear a week, and gets regular exposure to the pool and the beach. Rinse it when done with the days activities and toss it in the wash every other month or so, and it's not much different from new. Just has that broken in feeling.

Strappedfortime.com is my source.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

msa6712

Post by msa6712 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:34 am

I've got some that are 20+ years old as well...but as Steve said, these were meant to be replaced at minimum cost upon wear and tear.

Jake897

Post by Jake897 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:11 pm

msa6712 wrote:I've got some that are 20+ years old as well...but as Steve said, these were meant to be replaced at minimum cost upon wear and tear.
Wow! 20 years is a long time!

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:59 pm

mine tend to soak up KY to much but they still new.