Current SotC

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
gwells
Name: Greg

Current SotC

Post by gwells » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:27 pm

So, i've changed more than a few things this year (not as flipper as many and mostly moving low-end stuff). So outgoing were Christopher Ward C8 Vintage, seiko bellmatic, and a rodina bauhaus.

to start, here's what the box looks like right now (sorry, crappy iphone pic here, but i'll post better individuals).

L/R; T/B

Halios Tropik | C60 Mk1 | Orient Mako Yellow | Zodiac Seawolf | Omega DeVille | Seiko SNZH51

Helson Blackbeard | Magrette MPP Rose Gold | Omega AT 8500 | Junghans Meister Handwound | Maratac Mid Pilot | Citizen Ace

Divers

New additions first.

Halios Tropik Black.
Purchased last year toward the end of January. after about a year of wearing it, it's become on of my favorite go-to watches. clean, simple, not derivative. fits my wrist very well.

Magrette Moana Pacific Pro Rose Gold
A birthday present from my wife, my first foray into a diver bigger than 42mm. I decided it could handle the size with the short curved lugs after trying on Peteo's short-lived Tiki.

Orient Mako Yellow
I decided a while back I liked this, about the same time I got the C60 FLE as a birthday present. I didn't buy one. Then they were unavailable. they came up for the orient 90th anniversary, 90 pieces available, and i got a really good price, so I jumped. Don't wear it a lot (although i'm wearing it today). It's possible this could some day go on the block, but it's staying for now.

Image Image
Helson Blackbeard
Final new diver, a Christmas gift from my wife. Another one that had gone out of stock to my dismay, but came back just in time to be a Christmas present. I know it's kitchy, cheesy, whatever you may want to call it. but I love the fact that it's not obviously kitchy all the time and actually wears quite nicely and cleanly when the lume isn't activated. I do have a bit of a pirate fetish, so this fits for me with no apologies.

09 Christopher Ward C60 FLE Red
My first diver and I have actually been diving with it. Stays mostly on one of my three zulu straps (one fabric, two leather). The bracelet has lost some lustre for me since I've gotten some watches with better clasps, so I'm hoping the new bracelet with an updated clasp comes out soon (i've been hoping that for a while) so I can put it back on. Tried the original last month and realized i need to spend some time resizing it after losing 25lbs. This is a fairly regular casual Friday watch for me. And is always on my wrist for Nationals' baseball games, since it matches their red perfectly.

Zodiac Seawolf (1960s)
I admired the Seawolf from the first time I saw it. I did have some fear that it would wear too small (35mm), but it works ok. I have worn it a bit less lately as my collection has grown and I think I need to find a leather strap or an original bracelet that gives it a little more presence on my wrist.

10 Seiko SNZH51
This doesn't get as much wear since I got the Blackbeard, and it didn't get a ton of wear before that. So it will likely be on the block soon to make space in the watch box.

Non-Divers

New one first.

Image Image
1969 or 1970 Omega DeVille
This was my grandfather's retirement watch from the telephone company. He was the medical director for Bell Telephone. He wore this until the day he died, and my father then wore it until the day he died. It was passed on to me earlier this month at his memorial service. It needs to go in for a service and cleanup and get a new strap and gold omega buckle. Although considering that my dad told me he was having problems with it, i've had it on the winder for a little over a week and it's running +18.8/day, which doesn't seem bad for a nearly 50 yr old watch that probably hasn't been serviced in a very long time. But that will be remedied.

Omega Aqua Terra 8500 Opaline
41.5mm version, a 50th birthday present from my wife. Just a tremendously versatile watch that goes with just about anything. At first glance, a very simple watch, but I love all of the little details that come through when you really look at it. This watch has fantastic finish touches. Still the crown jewel.

Maratac Mid Pilot (original)
My second mechanical, purchased about the same time as the now-sold C8. I like this size quite a bit, but I would eventually like to upgrade this to a nicer pilot watch. I have my eye on an Archimede 39 Pilot. maybe even on in bronze.

Junghans Meister Handwound
A 2013 Christmas present from my wife. The thinnest watch I own at 7.8mm thick (and 37.5mm across). A surprise at the time, as I hadn't told her it was on my shopping list (and it wasn't), but she'd seen me admiring it when the first reviews came out and *she* liked it too. This is not always the case with my choices. But as it is with many things that she buys me that i may not have bought myself, it became a quick favorite. Still wear it most weeks.

1963 Citizen Ace
Bought this vintage Citizen as a "birth year" watch. I was looking at a bunch of more expensive ones, but after my wife bought the AT, I felt like I had to dial back on what I was going to spend. This is going on the block this year as well. I don't know if/when I'll get a new birth year watch, but it will probably be painfully more expensive than this. I just never wear this and it comes in 4th for "dressier" watches, which is a category I really don't need 4 of.

(not shown in box)

Citizen BM8475-00X Ecodrive
My one non-mechanical and my serious beater. I wear this for yardwork, yoga, anything that I worry might damage one of my mechanicals.

Henri Sandoz
My first vintage watch. I found a really cheap one to purchase on ebay so I could see how a 35mm watch felt on my wrist. rarely ever wear it, this will be heading out the door soon, too. not a bad looking little watch, but not one i wear or will wear.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Current SotC

Post by matt.wu » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Very nice. Fun to see the thought process behind the purchases.
:htfu:

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:07 pm

Cool collection. I love the Christopher Ward and vintages!

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:37 am

Nice spread Greg! I like the variety in dial colors :thumbsup:
- Mart -

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:39 am

Nice collection. Thanks for sharing it and the stories behind the watches which are sometime the best part of the hobby.
Regards
Barry

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:11 am

Cool collection. I also enjoyed the story behind each one.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:41 am

Well done! :thumbsup:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:58 am

very nice--Halios is killing it.. :thumbsup:

CoachH
Name: Joe

Post by CoachH » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:40 am

Nice collection. :cheers:

I like the Junghans; it is so very different from anything I own.

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:00 am

I love the SOTC posts.

I have to say... I dig the hell out of that Junghans. I wear only divers, but one day I hope to find a Max Bill and give it a run. The clean look of Junghans watches is super slick. Yours is no exception, obviously. Killer. :fro:

:cheers:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:25 am

Very nice, and the two from your wife are definitely keepers. :thumbsup: Which is good, cause we can't sell gifts from the wife!

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:23 am

Fantastic collection there Greg ! :excited: You know it's funny, when actually getting
to see a collection all in one place like this, you really become astonished. :o
You've got such a variety of styles, brands, and even eras it's amazing !

On top of that everything both catches the eye, and is ultra cool to look at.
You should be really proud with what you have put together here. Every
piece is outstanding !!! ..Thanks a lot for the look at all of them !

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Looks good Greg! I'm thinking of writing up a similar SOTC sometime soon.

When others appreciate your collection, I find that it gives you a renewed appreciation for your pieces
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:01 pm

thanks, everyone.

i agree, ralph, hearing which watches others like and why is always interesting to me. i love looking at other peoples' collections because you can see their thought process. and since a lot of us are in different places in our collecting, i can see a sense of where i could be heading in some more sophisticated collections and where i've been in collections from people who are just starting. three years ago, i bought my first automatic (and first watch that cost more than $100). no way i'd have thought i would have spent this much 3 years later and have this many watches. and i know this is still just the tip of the iceberg. :) (don't tell my wife)

sfglenrock
Name: Steve

Post by sfglenrock » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:15 pm

Great collection with plenty of variety. Thanks for sharing.

I love that you have your grandfather/fathers watch in the collection. Wear it proudly!